Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where are the good games gone?

• 02-09-2012 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Ok obviously there is some good games out there, but I went down to get myself a game the last day and really couldnt find anything that interested me, like Jak & Daxter was an awesome game but I lost interest in the series when they brought guns etc into it, same with Crash Bandicoot, I feel sad right now :( , last game I got into was Oblivion, so any recommendations gang?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

astonaidan wrote: »
    Ok obviously there is some good games out there, but I went down to get myself a game the last day and really couldnt find anything that interested me, like Jak & Daxter was an awesome game but I lost interest in the series when they brought guns etc into it, same with Crash Bandicoot, I feel sad right now :( , last game I got into was Oblivion, so any recommendations gang?

If the last good game you got into was Oblivion then you've got at least 20 epic games you haven't played. My advice to start?

Skyrim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Ya Skyrim is the game Im getting ready to play, thing is my brother has XBOX so have to wait till i get a hold of it, The thing is of the 20 epic games, Id say most of them are gun related something besides Unchartered I can never get into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Ya Skyrim is the game Im getting ready to play, thing is my brother has XBOX so have to wait till i get a hold of it, The thing is of the 20 epic games, Id say most of them are gun related something besides Unchartered I can never get into
    Portal & Portal 2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

The boss battles in god of war are pretty epic.
    Still an overhyped game though
    Alotta ppl like bioshock too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,304 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As usual, I'll suggest Infamous. Not a third person shooter but it has similarities.
    Or if you want platformers, Little Big Planet seems popular.
    If you have Playstation Plus, you can get Infamous 2 and Little Big Planet 2 for free, as well as many others. And PS Plus are doing 25% discount off their annual subscription this month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Non shooting games since Oblivion.... Hmmm....

As recommended above, inFamous 1 & 2 are brilliant 3rd person action/adventure games, and they don't technically have guns (you throw electricity instead!).

Batman: Arkham Asylum and City are 2 fantastic non-gun games (Bats doesn't kill!).

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is another great a/a game with no guns, and you play as a beefed up Andy Serkis.

Darksiders 1 & 2 is one of the best new ip's in recent time, and a great hack 'n' slash (& ARPG in the 2nd one). Good story if you're into that kind of thing.

The Assassins Creed series, very little use of guns (i rarely used it) and one of the best stories in a series in a long time (people may recommend to not play the first one, but i enjoyed it).

If you have a DS or Wii, New Super Mario Brothers is nostalgia relived.

The entire God of War series is fantastic imo.

The recently released Prince of Persia HD troligy is well worth another go.

Something different: Heavy Rain for a literal interactive movie experience.

Alice: Madness Returns is another gem.

Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD is a must buy.

Lego Harry Potter, Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Batman 1 & 2 are all extremely entertaining games.

That's all i can think of right now... There are plenty of enjoyable shooting games out too though. And you could also ahve a look at the Sly Cooper HD Trilogy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't bother with God of War. Get Bayonetta instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Amazing game, i got it at a boot sale for a fiver.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,738 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All the good games have gone into hiding because they know Tokyo Jungle is out on the 25th of September and don't want to compete with what will surely be the greatest game of all time.

Many of the best games are now the smaller, independent ones. PSN and Steam have given new voices the chance to get out there, and so many are showing up the retail games as shallow and unimaginative.

Particularly Journey, the game of this year so far. While many of the Playstation franchises (Infamous, Killzone) are bland, depressing entities, Journey is the real deal. An emotional, beautiful experience whose two hours are more thrilling and involving than 100 in Skyrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

He doesn't want shooting games! :P And, imo, God of War is better. Bayonetta never done it for me.

I should have noted that Retr0 and johnny (and a few others) will be along to recommend the indie/classic games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm going to give some love to Rayman Origins and the superb Dark Souls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Buy all yakuza games ...seriously lads ye are missing out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

This whole "whhhaaaa nostalgia games are crap these days" thing does my head in. I have never had so many good games to play, I'm inundated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Playstation Plus. €50 and you'll, as of now get LittleBigPlanet 2, Motorstorm Apocalypse, inFamous 2, Saints Row 2, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD, Outland, Dead Space 2, Rock of Ages, Retro/Grade, Borderlands and Just Cause 2.

The tomorrow you'll also get - Red Dead Redemption and Machinarium.

Got to be something there that'll keep your interest.

Edit - Actually starting from tomorrow it's only €37.49. They're have a 25% off sale on a yearly sub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've been having an awful lot of fun over the last couple of years with gaming. The Batman games are superb, Assassin's Creed has been consistently good (well, I thought Revelations was a bit weak but still well above average), Hard Reset and Serious Sam 3 are great FPS titles, Super Meat Boy, The Binding of Isaac and Limbo are fantastic indie(ish) games, The Legend of Grimrock is a fine RPG. Shogun 2 is a brilliant strategy game. Day Z is freaking awesome.

Gaming looks ok to me right now.

There are an awful lot of samey games out there, ripping off things like COD17: America Saves Everyone Again and whatever else is still inexplicably popular right now. But there's plenty to love if you spend a little more time looking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Or simply get both. Why get one great game instead of another? Be greedy- have them all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If current games aren't interesting you, then maybe you're not looking in the right places. Some of the smaller indie releases are amazing.
    Given that you mentioned platform types there's a few great ones I can think of.

Trine - visually a colourful and interesting platform with a bit of puzzle and combat. You can buy it from gog. There's a second one too which allows internet multiplayer and it's vastly visually vibrant.
    http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/trine

Braid - I think this had a fairly large budget, so I'm not sure it qualifies as "indie", but it's a great puzzle platform game with a whole lot of new concepts thrown in. I played and thought it was a cool idea at first but was pleasantly surprised that it went even further really exploring new areas.
    Demo of it here for steam.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/26800/

Limbo - puzzle platform. Short game but good. Interesting style and some excellent puzzles in the first half of the game especially.
    Demo of Limbo here:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/48000/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

+1 for Rayman given the titles mentioned in the OP , and it can be found for less than €20 in the shows now.

OP liked Oblivion so might like skyrim if not played already, also same company different setting fallout 3 / new vegas.

A recent game I'd recommend is Dragons Dogma !!! Loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

I used to play lot of games when i was younger but less so now too busy. But when i have time i will play shooters and strategy games. There the best made games nowadays i think.

I have x box 360 love Gears 3

The best games for me are made by one company Creative Assembly. They made the total war games.

To get the best experience from those games play it on a big TV and be using a top notch graphics card for smooth game-play. 15,000 soldiers having a war against each other on screen is a sight to see even though it only a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Saints Row Games are great. If you like Grand Theft Auto but don't mind some over the top gameplay then that's the game for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Portal & Portal 2
    I actually looked at getting them but my brother said not to, that I wouldnt really enjoy them
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    As usual, I'll suggest Infamous. Not a third person shooter but it has similarities.
    Or if you want platformers, Little Big Planet seems popular.
    If you have Playstation Plus, you can get Infamous 2 and Little Big Planet 2 for free, as well as many others. And PS Plus are doing 25% discount off their annual subscription this month
    Sad as it is I got Infamous and Little Big Planet for free when sony fecked up, played LBP for a while but never tried Infamous, watched my nephew playing it and it didnt appeal to me
    Non shooting games since Oblivion.... Hmmm....

As recommended above, inFamous 1 & 2 are brilliant 3rd person action/adventure games, and they don't technically have guns (you throw electricity instead!).

Batman: Arkham Asylum and City are 2 fantastic non-gun games (Bats doesn't kill!).

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is another great a/a game with no guns, and you play as a beefed up Andy Serkis.

Darksiders 1 & 2 is one of the best new ip's in recent time, and a great hack 'n' slash (& ARPG in the 2nd one). Good story if you're into that kind of thing.

The Assassins Creed series, very little use of guns (i rarely used it) and one of the best stories in a series in a long time (people may recommend to not play the first one, but i enjoyed it).

If you have a DS or Wii, New Super Mario Brothers is nostalgia relived.

The entire God of War series is fantastic imo.

The recently released Prince of Persia HD troligy is well worth another go.

Something different: Heavy Rain for a literal interactive movie experience.

Alice: Madness Returns is another gem.

Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD is a must buy.

Lego Harry Potter, Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Batman 1 & 2 are all extremely entertaining games.

That's all i can think of right now... There are plenty of enjoyable shooting games out too though. And you could also ahve a look at the Sly Cooper HD Trilogy.
    As above Infamous not my thing, but Batman and Enslaved have been added to the list, will read up some more about darksiders see what the story is, Assasins creed I always found repitive and brother ruins story line by being more dedicated to finishing games than me, God Of War is anther Ive added to the list, I feel pretty much the same about POP as AC, will defintly look at ICO
    Going to add Rayman to the list.
    danthefan wrote: »
    This whole "whhhaaaa nostalgia games are crap these days" thing does my head in. I have never had so many good games to play, I'm inundated.
    Sure we cant all have the same taste can we, I feel most games these days are shooting or driving games two genres ive no interest in.
    Playstation Plus. €50 and you'll, as of now get LittleBigPlanet 2, Motorstorm Apocalypse, inFamous 2, Saints Row 2, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD, Outland, Dead Space 2, Rock of Ages, Retro/Grade, Borderlands and Just Cause 2.

The tomorrow you'll also get - Red Dead Redemption and Machinarium.

Got to be something there that'll keep your interest.

Edit - Actually starting from tomorrow it's only €37.49. They're have a 25% off sale on a yearly sub.
    Actually have Red Dead Redemption just never relly got into it that much, I was the same with Grand Theft Auto never appealed to me at all,
    calex71 wrote: »
    +1 for Rayman given the titles mentioned in the OP , and it can be found for less than €20 in the shows now.

OP liked Oblivion so might like skyrim if not played already, also same company different setting fallout 3 / new vegas.

A recent game I'd recommend is Dragons Dogma !!! Loved it.
    Going to get Rayman for sure, havent had a chance really to play Skyrim, Brother got it on Xbox and Ive only got as far as first town, saying that im only home from Aus so have alot to catch up on
    Riddle101 wrote: »
    Saints Row Games are great. If you like Grand Theft Auto but don't mind some over the top gameplay then that's the game for you.
    Saint Row really doesnt sound like my cup of tea to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I actually looked at getting them but my brother said not to, that I wouldnt really enjoy them

Has he played them? Any explanation as to why you wouldnt enjoy them? I refuse to believe someone could not enjoy these games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭briany

I put forward the Stalker series. It is the thinking man's FPS, expertly combining the best elements of RPG and FPS into one package that you can just keep coming back to. Sure the engine has it's bugs and I'll admit I even found it hard to get into when I first started playing it, finding it unforgiving, but persevering I now think, on balance, it's the best shooter of the last decade.

Advertisement