Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I do think we can win, and I think we will win. I do think we have played potentially tougher teams than the Packers, but this is one game I really dont mind if we end up losing. Its not going to be easy to go to Lambeu and win there, and their offence is rolling, and by the laws of percentages, I expect us to lose at least one more this season, so if that is to happen, I'd prefer if it is this one to an NFC opponent who could be an opponent later on. As mentioned earlier, not to be showing a full deck of cards if we are lucky enough to meet again in the superbowl. I'd obviously much more prefer to never lose a game again this season, but this is one I wont be moaning about on here Monday morning if it doesnt go our way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Chandler Jones back at practice :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Chandler Jones back at practice :D:D:D

Just a walk through tho, probably won't be back for a couple of weeks yet, but it's promising considering rumors he wouldn't be back till the playoffs if at all

Cameron Fleming shed his walking boot which is good news.

Pity he can't play against GB as I could have seen a similar game plan to what we did against the Colts which was power run our way through them.

Do we have any body fill in for Fleming in that role? Cannon maybe put they obviously favor Fleming over him in that role

Hazys wrote: »
    Just a walk through tho, probably won't be back for a couple of weeks yet, but it's promising considering rumors he wouldn't be back till the playoffs if at all

He was limited at normal practice today.

Hopefully we don't rush him back too soon tho

• Advertisement

Giants are officially eliminated from the playoffs. Now I can finally dare to dream about this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Don Jones released, was a decent ST's player, bit of a strange one.

An emotional Gronk talking about his injury last year. It's a side we don't get to see of him, the happy go lucky meathead is all we usually get to see. Can't wait for the full interview.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/video?vid=11950037

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Giants are officially eliminated from the playoffs. Now I can finally dare to dream about this season.

What are these playoffs you speak of? I thought you win the Super Bowl or your season ends in January :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

An emotional Gronk talking about his injury last year. It's a side we don't get to see of him, the happy go lucky meathead is all we usually get to see. Can't wait for the full interview.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/video?vid=11950037

Such an immensely likeable young man. Even in the "happy go lucky meathead" mode you speak of he always comes across as genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

A word on Tim Wright, plenty of people were critical of the move when he was brought in as part of the Mankins trade but he is growing into the team really well and proving himself to be a good target for Brady, this gives the offence so much, there are two genuine, mobile TE's for Brady along with LaFell who has improved as the season is going along too, he is proving to be an important player and is Bradys go to guy a lot of the time now

Anyway, Tim Wright, 24 years old, still scope to improve and his first season integrating into the team so far reads 11 games, 23 receptions from 26 targets for 220 yards, has gained 16 first downs for the team and a very healthy 6 touchdowns.

Can't ask for any more right now and I feel he deserves some recognition :)

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Such an immensely likeable young man. Even in the "happy go lucky meathead" mode you speak of he always comes across as genuine.

Oh yeah I think he's a very likable character. Everybody speaks so highly of the positive youthful energy he brings with him everywhere he goes. Meathead/bro is exactly what he is; loves sports, lifts weights, loves women with that type of humor aka if somebody farted in the huddle he be laughing his ass off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It should be a shootout with possibly the two best offences on display.
    Gronk can beat anyone one-on-one, it may need more than Matthews to stop him.
    Green Bay are 30th against the run, so we might see a lot of Blount and Gray with Vereen mixed in.
    Nelson and Cobb are excellent, and with Rodgers at QB it'll be a really tough examination. I agree with your likely matchups and suspect Browner will need the safety help.
    If the Pats 4 man DL can stop the run like they did against the Lions, then they can add further help in the secondary; it'll be needed against the GB passing offence.
    I think the Patriots running game has got way, WAY too little credit or attention in terms of the media coverage leading into this match - the Saints game, especially the second half, is a great blueprint for what I expect Belichick to be looking to do in large parts come Sunday. The absolute keys for GB are to limit the run and to limit Gronk. Not stop them, just limit them.

A major worry though is Dom Capers - he is great for bullying average QBs, but against elite types or an in form, unpredictable player (e.g. Kaepernick) he crumbles in tremendous fashion more often than not. Belichick is known for his ability to take away the opposing offences' best weapon... Capers more often than not caters to/ignores it and tries to stop the other stuff instead. It is one of the major reasons why GB fans wind up so p*ssed off with him at the end of each and every season (and often throughout). Expect a rotation of Hawk/Lattimore/Barrington on Gronk, with safety help coming from Morgan Burnett who has the aggression and willingness to get physical, but not necessarily the smarts. Matthews will the odd time but should mostly be covering the run and getting some blitzes in I suspect... and if we do go this way, Lattimore is possibly the best coverage option but will likely see little play to Hawk can cover his 3 yard box behind the LOS. If it works Capers looks great, but more likely than not when it fails Gronk has maybe his biggest day of the season, causing us to drop a bit deeper and deeper in the LBs, and allowing Grey/Blount to smash forward for 4 yards before contact each and every time as a result.

As for GBs offence, the WRs and running game have been mentioned a lot, but don't overlook screens to Lacy also where he really has found a role this season (since running the ball 25-30 times a game with Rodgers there makes no sense). He only had 13 yards last week receiving, but in the three before that he had 236 receiving yards on top of 178 rushing (and got pulled out with 10 odd minutes left in all three games)... if Cobb and Nelson can stretch you deep, he becomes a massive, massive threat underneath and not someone you want DBs making isolated tackles on. A bonus for you guys is that Davante Adasm does seem to have hit the rookie wall, but on the other end our offensive line has been improving week on week and is now arguably the best Rodgers has had in his whole career (just with razor thin depth at tackle). They'll probably fall flat on their faces now that I've said it but Bakhtiari (2nd yeard, 4th round LT) and Corey Linsley (5th round rookie C) have come on absolute leaps and bounds from the first few weeks of the year.
    I think it will be mostly Revis on Cobb and Browner on Nelson with Safety help just because Cobb is faster and Nelson is a little slower but bigger.
    Nelson is the faster of the two, he doesn't always look it because he kind of 'glides' like say Rio Ferdinand or Thierry Henry used to in the Premiership as opposed to running frenetically, but Nelson is really, really fast. You have a decent point about safety help though because of how dangerous he is deep (he leads the league in 50+ yard receptions, I believe) but also how much damage he can do on shorter passes not only for YAC (4th among all WRs) but also just his understanding with Rodgers that tends to keep them well ahead of the DBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

I think Hawk would have serious problems covering Gronkowski. Then again, who doesn't?

Here's a piece on the same topic: http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/patriots-packers-week-13-2014/2014/11/25/7281645/packers-patriots-defend-rob-gronkowski-week-13-2014-preview

Tristram wrote: »
    I think Hawk would have serious problems covering Gronkowski. Then again, who doesn't?

Here's a piece on the same topic: http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/patriots-packers-week-13-2014/2014/11/25/7281645/packers-patriots-defend-rob-gronkowski-week-13-2014-preview

Oh he would, he would be a terribly suited player for it, which is in large part exactly why I expect to see Capers try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

kryogen wrote: »
    A word on Tim Wright, plenty of people were critical of the move when he was brought in as part of the Mankins trade but he is growing into the team really well and proving himself to be a good target for Brady, this gives the offence so much, there are two genuine, mobile TE's for Brady along with LaFell who has improved as the season is going along too, he is proving to be an important player and is Bradys go to guy a lot of the time now

The Mankins move surprised everyone for the suddenness of it all. But going on previous contract negotiations with him, him not being flexible for the team surprised nobody. I liked the Wright move because we sorely lacked a talented pass catching TE after scumbag. Not only has Wright shown us his talent, but unlike his predecessor, he has the physicality for YAC that scumbag never had. His role is expanding and it's exciting to see it.

Tristram wrote: »

Double team/triple team you can't cover Gronk without seriously weakening your defense. Or unless god forbid, some scumbag wants to take out his knee. His TD against the Colts last week is the perfect example of the unique beast he is. He brushed off, ran through and jumped over 5 Colts defenders. He just couldn't be stopped. If he is healthy and on the field, he is just the ultimate match up nightmare. And if he stays healthy for the entire season, then all us Pats fans will be very excited, for obvious reasons.

Double team/triple team you can't cover Gronk without seriously weakening your defense. Or unless god forbid, some scumbag wants to take out his knee. His TD against the Colts last week is the perfect example of the unique beast he is. He brushed off, ran through and jumped over 5 Colts defenders. He just couldn't be stopped. If he is healthy and on the field, he is just the ultimate match up nightmare. And if he stays healthy for the entire season, then all us Pats fans will be very excited, for obvious reasons.
    I'm struggling to think of any players who have a chance to take him one-on-one (or at least with only a small bit of help)... maybe Kam Chancellor (with some help deep from Earl Thomas)? If Chancellor played in the AFC East or NFC South (Graham) he would be worth mega, megabucks in his position in my opinion for that very reason. Outside of an up-and-down Vernon Davis though, there's not much of a real TE threat in the NFC West.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I think the Patriots running game has got way, WAY too little credit or attention in terms of the media coverage leading into this match - the Saints game, especially the second half, is a great blueprint for what I expect Belichick to be looking to do in large parts come Sunday. .

It really wasn't until our O line got it's **** together after week 5, that our run game picked up this year. In light of how weak your run defense is, it would make sense to run the ball down your throats on Sunday. Especially with the power of Grey & Blount on the benches.

I'm struggling to think of any players who have a chance to take him one-on-one (or at least with only a small bit of help)... maybe Kam Chancellor (with some help deep from Earl Thomas)? If Chancellor played in the AFC East or NFC South (Graham) he would be worth mega, megabucks in his position in my opinion for that very reason. Outside of an up-and-down Vernon Davis though, there's not much of a real TE threat in the NFC West.

I think it's safe to say no single player can stop a healthy Gronk. As the great Cris Collinsworth said recently, watching Gronk in full flow is like watching a man against boys. I remember Graham getting bullied out of the game against the Hawks last year. He thrashed talked them on the field during warm ups and then wilted when they brought physicality. Even Talib bullied him off the field when he was with us last year. Lost a lot of respect for him last year after some of his performances. Gronk is the opposite, hit him hard and he just loves it and plays even better.

That's my major worry with Blount/Grey - we are actually semi decent at limiting (not stopping) the run against shifty backs like we did with the Eagles and also Forte in the second game - it's power running that really kills us due to a lack of size and aggression outside of Matthews, Daniels and Peppers. Burnett can also help out, but only if there is no passing game to threaten him since he is nowhere near good enough to cover both duties, and that is clearly not the case here. Four months later and I am still shocked we didn't sign Pickett back to a cheap, one year deal the day after Raji went down.

That's my major worry with Blount/Grey - we are actually semi decent at limiting (not stopping) the run against shifty backs like we did with the Eagles and also Forte in the second game - it's power running that really kills us due to a lack of size and aggression outside of Matthews, Daniels and Peppers. Burnett can also help out, but only if there is no passing game to threaten him since he is nowhere near good enough to cover both duties, and that is clearly not the case here. Four months later and I am still shocked we didn't sign Pickett back to a cheap, one year deal the day after Raji went down.

I'm more excited to see Grey and Blount shares run duties for the first time, than I am to see Tom go pass happy. Not sure how you feel yourself when it comes to AR handing the ball off to Lacy, but I actually prefer if TB can defer to a good run game rather that pass the ball. There's risk in every aspect of Football, but handing the ball of to a strong RB is always something I love to see. Because it reduces the risk my QB and his pass targets face down the field. It also sets up some nice play action and keeps defenses honest.

• Advertisement

Definitely agree on that, though our gameplan at home seems to typically be to hit the ground running with a hard, fast, aggressive passing game and dare other teams to try keep pace (hence our being just one off the 49ers for most INTs this season) which also negates our weak run defense. I reckon Belichick is well, well aware of that too and will use Blount/Grey in a rotation to try and keep our offense off the field to take the life out of the game. It's going to be crucial and pretty interesting to see how we do stopping that in the first 3-4 defensive drives, and how we do against Gronk if we can force some 3rd and longs (Tramon and Shields should be fine on the outside). On top of course of our offense doing it's job.

Don't want to bet against GB myself but the line is really high at 58.5 points - I think the smart money is on the under and Patriots +3.5 at 21/10 for this one. But if we somehow do manage to stop the run early on and run up scores, the under part of that will fly right out the window and quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

eagle eye wrote: »
    Don Jones released, was a decent ST's player, bit of a strange one.

I think they hoped to sneak him onto the PS, but then the Phins claimed him.:(

It really wasn't until our O line got it's **** together after week 5, that our run game picked up this year. In light of how weak your run defense is, it would make sense to run the ball down your throats on Sunday. Especially with the power of Grey & Blount on the benches.

Really looking forward to seeing Blount & Grey getting on the field today. Run first has to be the priority against the Packers defense.

Love this description of Gronk. Rampage was fantastic :)

2zB5u84.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Danny Aiken inactive. Looks like Ninko will be the long snapper today

paulie21 wrote: »
    Danny Aiken inactive. Looks like Ninko will be the long snapper today

Wow, i know Aiken has been poor this season, but its kinda a shock for Ninko to long snap, seems highly risky. We cut a LS from the practice squad during the week, surely he'd be better suited than Ninko...he hasnt snapped since college :eek:

Seems like the Pats thought he would be good to go but the Doctors said no at the last minute. No way this was their contingency plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well we all know that BB leaves nothing unprepared. You can be guaranteed that Ninko has been practicing his long snaps all through his Patriots' career, and probably other players too.

Aiken is out injured, they brought in somebody, Hughlett, but obviously it didn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

Yet another Browner penalty :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The positives still outweigh the negatives on Browner for me but he really needs to get up to date, in the playoffs the officials will probably be a little more of the "let them play" mindset but regular season he has been costly in terms of penalties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Looks like it's gonna be a tough night on defense.
    Slowly getting to grips with the run, but Browner off to a poor start so lots to work on in the secondary.

Did well to limit it to 6pts so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Offense needs to pick it up.
    GB too good on offense to not get some scores on the board.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement