Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't be the only one who does this

Options
  • 17-09-2012 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

So, despite the fact that I play a lot less often these days than I used to (this year I have been mostly playing Madden), I still have a game-related problem when watching movies; I can't help thinking of them in terms of game levels in the official game tie-in.

For example, watching Avengers at the weekend, and throughout I was thinking, ok this is the level where you play Iron Man and have to make the spinny thing spin. And this is the level where you're Hulk and have to smash stuff (sorry, hope they weren't spoilers). I wouldn't even buy the game if it did come out, so I don't know where this is coming from.

Some movies are easier than others, the Incredibles for example, in my mind had each level all laid out, even a big boss at the end.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Well I can only speak for everyone else in the world, but yes, you are the only one who does this. Unlucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

No can't say I do that but when i'm a passenger in a car I imagine that i'm on a motor bike ramping up all the bumps in the footpath as they wiz by. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

As a rule i generally dont play games that have been made off the back of a film, 9/10 they suck the big one as the dev is more concerned about churning out some crap before the film release than building something good.

Due to this i never consider films in the context you have explained, if anything i think about how crap the inevitable game will be compared to the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not just in films, but in life in general. I imagine myself parkour...ing throughout the estate a la Assassins Creed, i imagine NFS, GT or Forza when i'm driving (albeit in my head, not actually driving like in the games), COD or Deus Ex when walking through town, etc.

Yeah actually I can't say I've ever done this in films but at the height of my counter-strike days I used to imagine headshotting people as they came into the room. Almost as if I was practising. That's actually kinda ****ed up come to think of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

Op, I'm intrigued.

I don't do this myself but it'll be on my mind the next action movie I watch (you do only do it for action movies, right?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

i dont play games based off movies
    i hate them all with a passion
    they generally suck :) well i think they do
    only decent game from movies where the jame bond games the old ones, not the new ones
    even then i wouldnt spend more then 20 quid on a movie based game if i was to buy one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

every big sci-fi film that I go to see my mate always compares the sections of the film to video games
    oh there's the platform bit and there's the chase sequence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I occasionally imagine how films might be converted into games.

More often I ascribe D&D stats and alignments to characters in stories I'm interested in (though not usually while I'm actually watching/reading them).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

steve_r wrote: »
    Op, I'm intrigued.

I don't do this myself but it'll be on my mind the next action movie I watch (you do only do it for action movies, right?)

I imagine playing crazy golf when watching Basic Instinct.
    Try to get it between the legs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

This probably doesnt count, but when destruction derby for the PS came out oh so long ago, i'd be sitting on a bus and think to myself if i hit that merc right there in the sweetspot with the front of this bus he'd go flying into that alfa and flip it onto that micra which would block off all of o'connell street and i wouldnt have to go to work!

But then i hated my job as much as i loved my playstation back then too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

steve_r wrote: »
    Op, I'm intrigued.

Yeah, usually the hollywood blockbusters, where you can easily delineate the scenes are different levels. Really, I'm surprised nobody here does it. I was going to post this on AH, but reckoned some people who have an overarching interest in games would be able to empathise.

Oh well, another thing for my shrink to work on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If I watch a football match sometimes I'd be thinking "play lofted through ball" or spotting passes that I'd make in pro evo. Only happens if I'm playing a lot of pro evo at the time.

Cienciano wrote: »
    If I watch a football match sometimes I'd be thinking "play lofted through ball" or spotting passes that I'd make in pro evo. Only happens if I'm playing a lot of pro evo at the time.

I've done this so much. I was never into football but played a lot of pro ev with friends just to be social. I now understand football just from playing that game

Advertisement