Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LIDL Setup

• 03-01-2005 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi all,

Please bare in mind i have never even so much as touched a satellite dish so i am a complete novice when it comes to satellite terms and equipment.

My dad recently bought a digital decoder from LIDL, they were selling other stuff with it like the brakets and LNB or Head for the dish.

Just wondering if he has an old 80cm satellite dish with LNB that was used for receiving analog back in the day, would it be possible to use the same satellite dish and head with the LIDL digital decoder? He set it up and just kept getting a weak signal message on the TV screen. He was pointing it using a compass, at 28.2 degrees south south east for Astra 2, is this ok?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

the old dish and lnb should be functional. u do need special sat cable though not coax cable.
    occasionaly the old lnbs are damaged from water damage. carefully inspect the plastic cover on the front of it for cracks. if its cracked its no good. do not attempt to pull it off or loosen it though.
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 wolrabp

Can you elaborate on the special cable and would a weak signal appear due to the cable? Thanks for the quick reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Just wondering if he has an old 80cm satellite dish with LNB that was used for receiving analog back in the day, would it be possible to use the same satellite dish and head with the LIDL digital decoder?
    As fars i'm aware, analog lnb won't work with digital receiver.
    He was pointing it using a compass, at 28.2 degrees south south east for Astra 2, is this ok?
    Once you have a universal lnb, then you should be able to pick it up...use the next door neighbours sky dish as a point of reference re. where it should be pointing and at what elevation.

Is there any way of finding out the elevation angle other than looking at my neighbours? Also is there a way of knowing definitively whether or not it is the LNB causing the problem, my dad has removed and re-attached the LNB will this cause problems?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

wolrabp wrote:
    Can you elaborate on the special cable and would a weak signal appear due to the cable? Thanks for the quick reply

I would recommend CT100 cable

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

Thanks Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

wolrabp wrote:
    Thanks Tony

sure

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

You are gonna need a satfinder device (they were on sale at LIDL but can also be obtained elsewhere, Satellite.ie for eg.) if you are to have any hope of aligning the dish. Read fully through the info on this linked thread, it contains nearly everything you need to know. You would be better off using at least new cable and a new universal LNB as the old analog gear might not be suitable/damaged.

Hi,

Have a satfinder device, we are going to try a new LNB and see what happens, will get back if this doesn't work, thanks for the help

Advertisement