Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly Questions from a Sky Virgin....

Options
  • 02-01-2005 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

hi everyone,

I have always used NTL, so I have never had any dealings with Sky..

But...

I'm moving house, and the house I am moving to has a sky dish and box but I dont have any cards.

1. How much is this gonna cost me for a basic service?
    2. Where do I get em from?
    3. Will I be tied into a contract?
    4. am I better just to forget about it, and go with NTL?

Thanks!
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Hi,
    I think that Sky's basic value package is about €30 per month at pres. That's not including any movies or sports channels, but all the Sky One,Sky Mix, MTV,UK Gold, Discovery etc. etc. type of channels.
    I think you should just contact Sky themselves and ask what the story is if you already own a disused digibox because more than likely if you already own the equipment you won't necessarily be tied to a 12month contract. The contract thing is to ensure that you subscribe for a minimum period in order to pay back what you owe for getting a digibox & minidish at a reduced price. It is much the same idea as if you sign a 12 month contract to a mobile phone company when they give you a mobile for €30. Since you already own the gear I don't see why this would be needed but don't know for sure, all I can say is ask them.
    I'd say the Sky package would be better than NTL but you wouldn't have ITV or Channel4 as an Irish Sky subscription doesn't include these, however BBC's channels are completely free to air for anyone even without a card.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Even if you only take a card from sky without getting any equipment, you will still be tied to a 12 month contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭intersplat

Or you could get a Freesat card from skycards.net. I and some others on this board got freesat cards and now have Itv 1 Itv2 Itv3 BBC1 -4 C4 and C5 . Theres no contract and there guaranteed for 2 years and you can just pop the card into your box and it should work straight away.

intersplat wrote:
    Or you could get a Freesat card from skycards.net. I and some others on this board got freesat cards and now have Itv 1 Itv2 Itv3 BBC1 -4 C4 and C5 . Theres no contract and there guaranteed for 2 years and you can just pop the card into your box and it should work straight away.

A costly rip off though.

I'd recommend the UK friend or relative route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Colm80

Earthman wrote:
    A costly rip off though.

I'd recommend the UK friend or relative route.
    I have to agree with Earthman, but not every one knows some one in the uk. That was the case with my self so i went the the rip of way. Also other companys can charge €150 up to €200 With the company i got mine from they charge €98.99 +P&P. So if you know some one in the uk get them to order it for you £20

• Advertisement

Leonard wrote:
    Even if you only take a card from sky without getting any equipment, you will still be tied to a 12 month contract.
    I got a card from sky in the summer and was not tied to a contract. You are ok when they supply box and dish.

Colm80 wrote:
    I got a card from sky in the summer and was not tied to a contract. You are ok when they supply box and dish.

I thought the same but I also got a card from them earlier on this year and I was told that I would be tied to a 12 contract regardless of whether I took the equipment or not. The only thing which was different was that a telephone connection was not neccessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 original gadget

thanks guys
    I have been on to Sky and they tell me that I have to sign a 12 month contract, but there will be no once off charge. its €20 a month for the basic package. its just a pity they dont have C4 and ITV - it would make them better than NTL!

I must check that one out with sky. I have to say They have a hard neck.

thanks guys
    I have been on to Sky and they tell me that I have to sign a 12 month contract, but there will be no once off charge. its €20 a month for the basic package. its just a pity they dont have C4 and ITV - it would make them better than NTL!

That €20 a month pack is not really that good value. Most of the channels that are included in that pack are free channels. It would be worth you while to get the €28.50 p/m pack which would have all the channels except the movies and sports.

In my opinion a ftv card would actually be better value than the value pack.

• Advertisement

thanks guys
    its just a pity they dont have C4 and ITV - it would make them better than NTL!
    Well things could change regarding ITV on the 20th of this month when ITV's extended contract runs out with sky. Lets hope they go FTA.

take a look here. The prices a out of date but the channels listings are ok

http://myhome.iolfree.ie/~icdg/sky_digital.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

If you do find yourself tied to a twelve month contract with $ky there is a very simple way out

Phone them up and tell them youre changing address and when they ask for your new address give them one in Continental Europe :D

Leonard wrote:
    That €20 a month pack is not really that good value. Most of the channels that are included in that pack are free channels. It would be worth you while to get the €28.50 p/m pack which would have all the channels except the movies and sports.

In my opinion a ftv card would actually be better value than the value pack.

NTL is €18 a month, and you are limited to what? 16 channels?

Gone up now to €19.50

Yes that is true, but with the value pack on $ky,what you actually get for your €20 is only Sky One, Discovery Home & Leisure, Bloomberg, Music Choice, as the rest are FTA channels.

With regard to NTL, yes it is going up to €19.50 and you will not only get 16 channels,

RTE ONE, RTE N2, TV3 Ireland, TG4, BBC ONE NI, BBC TWO NI, UTV, Channel 4, Sky One, Sky News, MTV UK and Ireland, CNBC Europe, Nickelodeon/Link, Discovery, E4, and SETANTA SPORT.

but you will also get multi room viewing.

hmmm, after a bit of thought, wouldnt I be better getting NTL's basic service, and holiding on to my dish and using a Freesat card? my brother lives in the UK so he could probably get it for me for £20. I'd have all the NTL channels, plus all the freebies from Freesat..... and I could have multi-room viewing with NTL....

hmmm, after a bit of thought, wouldnt I be better getting NTL's basic service, and holiding on to my dish and using a Freesat card? my brother lives in the UK so he could probably get it for me for £20. I'd have all the NTL channels, plus all the freebies from Freesat..... and I could have multi-room viewing with NTL....

Your spot on there. That would be your best option as far as I can see.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, if I were you, I'd choose that route also! Best of both worlds :)

Advertisement