Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESTA Travel Query

Options
  • 09-07-2017 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi,

I am travelling to Costa Rica but our route is via Atlanta airport. Do we still need to apply for an ESTA form as we will be connecting in the USA, even though we are not staying there or anything?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

I am a citizen of a VWP country and am traveling to the United States by air to transit the U.S.?
    Yes. You must apply for ESTA even if you are only transiting the U.S. In the address field of the application, write "In Transit."

From
    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e1s1

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

garbeth wrote: »
    I am a citizen of a VWP country and am traveling to the United States by air to transit the U.S.?
    Yes. You must apply for ESTA even if you are only transiting the U.S. In the address field of the application, write "In Transit."

From
    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e1s1

Thanks garbeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Obrieski wrote: »
    Hi,

I am travelling to Costa Rica but our route is via Atlanta airport. Do we still need to apply for an ESTA form as we will be connecting in the USA, even though we are not staying there or anything?

Thanks

Hi we are going in Dec love to know how ye get on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

The United States does not have an In Transit system. All passengers entering the US whether staying or connecting must clear Immigration/Customs at their first port of arrival unless pre-cleared.

The only exception to this rule is the One Stop at Houston International which allows for transit with carry-on bags only.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,354 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The United States does not have an In Transit system.

Nobody said that they do.

Poster Garbeth (in post #2 above) simply advised the OP to put 'in transit' in his/her ESTA application in accordance with the advice on the CBP website.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Don't buy duty free liquids either (on the US bound leg) , they'll be taken from you in Atlanta.

Advertisement