Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle-aged wheelchair user wants chat

Options
  • 25-04-2015 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm looking to chat with other middle-aged wheelchair users (I'm in my early 40s). I've come across Disabilities'r'Us, but I don't know that there are other Irish people on there and I haven't seen any other disability specific chatrooms or sites in Ireland. We grew up in a very different society (you might even say world!) to today's world and I personally was very over-protected and find it hard to get over that. My self image was unrealistic, I feel, and now that my parents are gone, I think I may have been looking at myself as almost an appendage of my mother's. So having been looked after by adults so much, I feel as if my outlook is that of a person 20 years older than myself, but I don't have the experience to back that up. So I feel pretty misunderstood (Sob, sob . . .). Also, I'd be interested in joining something like a running club, but for people in wheelchairs - not wheelchair racing, so not like running, exactly, more strolling. Anyone else interested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,130 ✭✭✭✭looksee

LilyRose, you are of course very welcome to chat on here, we would be delighted to attract more people into the forum, though of course we do not know - unless they tell us - that they are wheelchair users. Maybe if you wanted to keep it strictly to wheelchair users you might start a hosted forum, but you would need a few people interested before that would be a good solution.

Good luck, it may take a while to get going while people find you, hopefully you will get some interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LilyRose42

Thanks Looksee. I'll give it some thought.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think it's a smashing idea, and a outdoor activity scene for wheelchair users has so many benefits it's difficult to imagine why no one has come up with it before.
    A notice in your local supermarket noticeboard might help, perhaps create a specific email address to direct peoples contacts to you.
    A thread here, perhaps later a sticky, might give a place to congregate as it builds momentum.
    Well done though, great idea.
    You might also consider able bodied partners or kids being included too, have a park or two with good paths in mind to use.

Advertisement