Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

not pay motor tax when out of Ireland?

• 13-10-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

my tax disc expires in the end of Jan. Will be out of states in the whole Feb. Can I buy the disc from Mar when I return please? Will they force me to pay for Feb (which is immediately after Jan when the disc expired), when I am not in the country?

All advice/experiences are appreciated. Thanks very much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Where is the car currently parked? If it is parked on private property then it is considered to be off the road and you can declare it as such and only pay from the start of the month in which you began to use the car again.

If the car is currently parked on a public road then legally you must tax it back to the end of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RichDING

djimi wrote: »
    Where is the car currently parked? If it is parked on private property then it is considered to be off the road and you can declare it as such and only pay from the start of the month in which you began to use the car again.

If the car is currently parked on a public road then legally you must tax it back to the end of January.

Thank you for the quick reply. It is parked in private property. However, how dose it work? Do I tell the tax office that directly when I am back in Ireland in March? Do I need to show them my flight tickets? or I will have to tell them before hand in January?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

RichDING wrote: »
    Thank you for the quick reply. It is parked in private property. However, how dose it work? Do I tell the tax office that directly when I am back in Ireland in March? Do I need to show them my flight tickets? or I will have to tell them before hand in January?

Thanks in advance!
    Just print this document (see section 7), fill in after you return to Ireland, bring it to your local Garda Station to get it stamped and pay your motor tax from the month your car is back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

RichDING wrote: »
    Do I tell the tax office that directly when I am back in Ireland in March?

http://www.thejournal.ie/motor-tax-reform-will-require-drivers-to-prove-cars-are-off-the-road-460585-May2012/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Golfer, that link is from last may.......still nothing is different, so We'll offer advise based on how it is right now, and not confuse the query.....

Op, be sure not to go to the garda station until March 1st to get the form stamped and signed....cos the tax office will not accept a form signed in Feb.

• Advertisement

Golfer50 wrote: »
    "Motor tax reform will require... or may require...", but for now we can declare a car off the road after it was off use.

Seweryn wrote: »
    Just print this document (see section 7), fill in after you return to Ireland, bring it to your local Garda Station to get it stamped and pay your motor tax from the month your car is back on the road.

Thank you very much!

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Op, be sure not to go to the garda station until March 1st to get the form stamped and signed....cos the tax office will not accept a form signed in Feb.
    That is a valid point. The motor tax operates in full months charge intervals.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Golfer, that link is from last may.......still nothing is different, so We'll offer advise based on how it is right now, and not confuse the query.....

Thanks ! Really appreciate it! :)

Advertisement