Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT failure on rear brake imbalance

Options
  • 12-10-2012 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

So the car failed on a couple of things to do with the rear brakes i.e. rear axle brake effort imbalance and parking brake imbalance were above the permitted levels. Is this a difficult thing to get fixed (and by difficult I mean expensive). There was also excessive travel in the handbrake lever, so what the effect of adjusting this be, is it likely to help the imbalance issue or make it worse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Sorry to hear that.
    What type of car and has it discs or drums at the rear?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Could be something as simple as the handbrake cable needs replacing (depends on the car too), this would definately affect the parking brake balance, lots of other little things can contribute to put the imbalance over the limit, pads, disk/drum, caliper etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

It's a Honda CRX, has discs on the back. The pads have been on it a while now, but he didn't say anything about them being worn, although I've not had a look yet myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I failed three tests on the rear brake imbalance on my car (Integra Type R). Replaced and checked pretty much every part of the brake system; eventually we got it through the test with the imbalance on the absolute limit (30% I think it was). The guy I bring my car to is regarded as one of the best around and was completely stumped!

Sorry, I know that this doesnt help much, but it could prove to be a tricky one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

At a guess I'd say you may have a siezed caliper,

Easiest option is get one from a breaker, I can only presume eg civics with discs on the rear (sir) would have the same caliper, easy find id imagine with the amount of them advertised for breaking.

And/Or poor brake lines, some braided hoses would be very easily & cheaply acquired online, tighten up the brakes no end

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

hondas of the older variety (pre 00 mainly) give a lot of trouble with seized brake callipers. they are expensive enough from a motor factors too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If you failed on both the service brake and parking brake imbalance on the same side then its going to be a seized caliper or badly corroded sliders/pad seats.

@djimi, in your case, if pads, disks, calipers etc etc were all found to be perfect but an imbalance was still present then the next most obvious issue is a fluid pressure issue from the master cylinder.
    This is very often the case if a car has a lower reading on the opposite front wheel to the rear wheel with the issue, even if the front is within tolerance.

Advertisement