Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peerages' of Ireland and the UK - current status and future role

• 09-08-2012 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

I had a couple of questions relating to the peerages of Ireland, Great Britain and the UK as they existed at different times and as they are today. Firstly, does anyone know if new peers are still being created by the Queen or is it dying away? IF so they when and why were the creations discontinued for non royal family members. Secondly can peers from the Republic still have the right to sit in the House of Lords? Is the Queen still able able to appoint (if she so desired) new peers who live in the Republic?Is it the case that with the expulsion of so much of the upper class in the early 20th century that Ireland lost a great deal of heritage having lost so many highly regarded individuals.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The creation of such titles came to an end in the 19th century. When one of the Irish representative peers died, the Irish Peerage met to elect his replacement; but the officers required to do this were abolished as part of the settlement of the Irish War of Independence. The existing representative peers kept their seats in the House of Lords, but they have not been replaced. Since the death of Francis Needham, 4th Earl of Kilmorey in 1961, none remains.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=peerages'%20of%20ireland%20and%20the%20uk%20-&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CE0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FPeerage_of_Ireland&ei=qn4nUPbWH4W0hAf784HgBA&usg=AFQjCNHe9qSNSgl8ms6YolKHqbTGovQViw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Everyone knows Lord Henry Mountcharles from Slane

I understand his title is not officially recognized but is he inventing something that does not exist when he talks on the radio?

It's what the media use
    Ireland’s most infamous aristocrat, the right honourable Henry Conyngham, Earl of Mountcharles – or Lord Henry Mountcharles, as he’s more commonly known – strides purposefully into the bar of Dublin’s Buswell’s Hotel, looking fairly drawn and stressed-out. It’s not so much to do with the upcoming Madonna gig at Slane Castle
    http://www.hotpress.com/archive/2750238.html

Is he Lord Henry or not?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

mikemac1 wrote: »

I understand his title is not officially recognized but is he inventing something that does not exist when he talks on the radio?

It's what the media use
    Ireland’s most infamous aristocrat, the right honourable Henry Conyngham, Earl of Mountcharles – or Lord Henry Mountcharles, as he’s more commonly known – strides purposefully into the bar of Dublin’s Buswell’s Hotel, looking fairly drawn and stressed-out. It’s not so much to do with the upcoming Madonna gig at Slane Castle

Is he Lord Henry or not?

He is an earl but while in the republic of ireland that title has no official status unless approved by the government.

I'm not sure if the government approved any title of nobility for the British monarch while here and if not she would legally have been plain old Elizabeth Windsor. Curiously, she is not a citizen of an EU member state or of any state so she had no automatic right to come here without a visa.

Some enterprising company set up on the Internet a few years ago offered titles of nobility. Turns out that they were just changing ones first name to lord, baron etc.

Many Irish people get knighthoods (sir tony etc) and are referred to as sir. I think the honors system is a good idea and if it could be divorced from thr monarchy and feudal connotations I think a similar system in Ireland would be a good thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

He is an earl but while in the republic of ireland that title has no official status unless approved by the government.

I'm not sure if the government approved any title of nobility for the British monarch while here and if not she would legally have been plain old Elizabeth Windsor. Curiously, she is not a citizen of an EU member state or of any state so she had no automatic right to come here without a visa.

Some enterprising company set up on the Internet a few years ago offered titles of nobility. Turns out that they were just changing ones first name to lord, baron etc.

Many Irish people get knighthoods (sir tony etc) and are referred to as sir. I think the honors system is a good idea and if it could be divorced from thr monarchy and feudal connotations I think a similar system in Ireland would be a good thing

Citizens not from a "Realm" can only be given an honorary title and do not have the right to use "Sir". For example, Bono is not "Sir" Paul Hewson but it is "Sir" Terry Wogan as he has taken British Citizenship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It's what the media use

Is he Lord Henry or not?

He is the Marquess of Conyngham!! (plus lots of other titles)

• Advertisement

Citizens not from a "Realm" can only be given an honorary title and do not have the right to use "Sir". For example, Bono is not "Sir" Paul Hewson but it is "Sir" Terry Wogan as he has taken British Citizenship.

I think you'll find that Terry Wogan was a British citizen at his birth!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The reason Sir Tony is called sir in Ireland is because he applied, and was approved, to keep his title by the Irish government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Marcusm wrote: »

He's not that old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Marcusm wrote: »

Terry Wogan only applied for British Citizenship after he was knighted, even though he was eligible for many years prior to that.

Terry Wogan only applied for British Citizenship after he was knighted, even though he was eligible for many years prior to that.

Nope, he might have applied for a passport then (to show his title) but he will have been born a British subject (as the term then applicable) and no application would ever be needed to be a Britsh citizen (which term applied from 1983 when the UK updated its citizenship and nationality laws).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The reason Sir Tony is called sir in Ireland is because he applied, and was approved, to keep his title by the Irish government.

That's right, but the only reason he can be called "Sir" in the first place is because he was born in 1936 and therefore is entitled to be a British Subject.

Bob Geldof is Bob Geldof KBE and although he has a knighthood, isn't entitled to use "Sir".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Firstly, does anyone know if new peers are still being created by the Queen or is it dying away?
    The creation of new titles continues in the UK, but has become a far more rare occurrence; Dennis Thatcher was the most recent, when he was made a hereditary baronet.
    Secondly can peers from the Republic still have the right to sit in the House of Lords?
    Up until the recent reform of the house of lords, yes. After a few of the hereditary peers got to stay, but very few and, AFAIK, they have to be 'working peers' now.
    Is the Queen still able able to appoint (if she so desired) new peers who live in the Republic?
    You're confusing residence with citizenship. In theory the British Monarch may create new peers who are resident in the Irish Republic or even Timbuktu if she likes (and her government allows it) if they are British citizens.

But if they're not or if they hold duel citizenship, then it gets more complicated - for example Irish citizenship requires that we must have express permission of the Irish government to receive any honours from a foreign government (a measure that was largely introduced to stop Irish citizens getting British knighthoods).

As for the territory associated with a peerage, I suspect that the creation of any (even Northern) Irish peerages has been avoided like the plague for diplomatic and political reasons, for the most part at least, certainly since World War II.
    Is it the case that with the expulsion of so much of the upper class in the early 20th century that Ireland lost a great deal of heritage having lost so many highly regarded individuals.
    Some were and some were not. Certainly the policies of the Irish Free State and later Republic did little to welcome the Anglo-Irish community (let alone nobility) into the fold. It was a tragedy and scandal how we effectively ethnically cleansed so many good Irishmen and women, who saw themselves as such, during this period, because they did not fit into the vision of an Ireland that had comely (Catholic) maidens dancing at the village crossroads.

But at the same time, many of the Anglo-Irish nobility did not see themselves as Irish; the Duke of Wellington, who was born in Dublin and of Anglo-Irish stock, famously said of his background "Just because one is born in a barn does not make one a horse" (this quote may be urban legend, but the attitude was not uncommon) - so we didn't really lose much when we lost that particular breed of Anglo-Irish.
    Is he Lord Henry or not?
    Yes and no.

You have to probably look to countries like France, Italy or Germany to get a better understanding of this. There you'll still find families that to some degree or other will cling to old claims of nobility (many will even be listed with their titles in the phone book), even though those claims may have already become nominal centuries ago - Byzantine princes, barons of the Holy Roman Empire, Papal nobles, marquesses of the Ancien Régime.

Having the dubious honour of having been born into such a family, albeit with a very 'diluted' claim at this stage, I grew up knowing many aristocrats. Some never use the titles, nor even speak about them (most of what I know of my own family comes from my grandmother and not my father) and instead favour meritocratic or professional titles.

Others held on to them for various psychological reasons, often because they genuinely do not have any identity beyond this - dying a slow death as they try to leverage what little inheritance (estates, art, and so on) they have rather than working for a living, until eventually there's nothing left. I saw relatives like this and it profoundly changed my views on the subject.

And many 'commoners' still show deference to aristocrats, although it's beyond me why. Perhaps it's our need to believe in something timeless and greater than ourselves. Perhaps it's romantic. Buggered if I know.

The British peerage is still fairly early on in its decline compared to most of the continental ones, having been shielded by the survival of their monarchy and that they did not suffer the same financial disasters as those that came with the French Revolution or losing World War I (Germany, Austria, Hungary), or World War II (Italy) - losing everything brings even a prince down to Earth rather quickly.

So is he lord Henry? Yes. Does it make a difference? Only if you believe it does.

In the end, the aristocracy today is like a chicken who's head has been cut off; it runs around for a while making a bit of a show, but ultimately it's already dead.

Advertisement