Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No Arab Spring In Saudi Arabia?

Options
  • 29-07-2012 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

The Arab Spring has brought about huge change in the Arab world, either by non-violent or violent means. However, one country seems to have largely escaped unscathed. Saudi Arabia, one of the most repressive and draconian regimes in, not only the Middle East, but the world, has only seen small scale and minor protests. This is very unusual for such a large Arab country at this time.

This story is the first notable one I have heard so far on the effects of the Arab Spring on Saudi Arabia:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/07/saudi-state-media-says-protesters-detained-in-east.html

What I am asking is; why haven't Saudi Arabs made a serious attempt to revolt against their government or organise mass protests?

It seems unusual given the nature of the Saudi government. I am thinking that there was a lack of economic hardship to spark a serious revolution, whereas in other places unemployment (such as in Libya, where the revolution that started in the east coincided with large scale youth unemployment) or poverty (as in Egypt and Tunisia) sparked events which eventually evolved into revolution. Or maybe the Saudis have been engaging in some clandestine mass repression under our noses?

What do you guys think?

(Note that protests were present, but were largely ignored in the media while Egypt/Libya stole the show, and many protests were actually against the Peninsula Shield Force. The protests never really reached the lofty heights of Egypt/etc.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Bribery. Simple as. Saudi Arabia bribes its citizens into quiescence. Since the start of the Arab Spring, the regime has increased spending at home by a large margin. After Mubarak fell in Egypt, the state approved spending increases of almost $100 billion. Also, as far as I know, Saudi Arabia is more homogenous than other nearby states, and unlike Syria and Bahrain is not ruled by an ethnic/religious minority. Finally, Saudi Arabian society is itself extremely hierarchical and paternalistic. The nature of the regime is reflected in the nature of society. In Egypt, Syria, Tunisia, and even Libya, one has relatively significant liberal constituencies, and this simply does not occur in Saudi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Great reply, but isn't there anti-Shia discrimination in Saudi Arabia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Eggy Baby! wrote: »

O yeah. They're only around 10% of the population though, so in terms of numbers they'd be insufficient to destablise the regime.

As Nodin said, they're a tiny proportion of the population, and perhaps more importantly, they're not in charge, as is the case with minorities in Syria and Bahrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭lagente

I've been thinking about this recently. While I had been thinking that the Arab-Spring was a complete misnomer and left out the Alawites (background of Persians and European) Africans etc involved I now see some reason behind it. Every western international military measure and political pressure has been taken on the same side of the Saudi rulers of Arabia (S.A and Qatar and Bahrain). In that respect Arab Spring is certainly very fitting.

• Advertisement

lagente wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this recently. While I had been thinking that the Arab-Spring was a complete misnomer and left out the Persians, Alawites, Aryans etc involved I now see some reason behind it. Every western international military measure and political pressure has been taken on the same side of the Saudi rulers of Arabia (S.A and Qatar and Bahrain).

...left out two "ethnicities" and a minority sect within Islam....? Seeing as the term "aryan" has only been used in the middle east with regard to Iranians/Persians, it would seem you've mentioned the same bunch twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭lagente

Nodin wrote: »
    ...left out two "ethnicities" and a minority sect within Islam....? Seeing as the term "aryan" has only been used in the middle east with regard to Iranians/Persians, it would seem you've mentioned the same bunch twice.

Splitting hairs, and the less said about these Ancient religions the better.

lagente wrote: »
    Splitting hairs.

That Alawis are a religous sect? No. That the term "aryan" was used with regards persians? No. Those are facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Nodin wrote: »
    O yeah. They're only around 10% of the population though, so in terms of numbers they'd be insufficient to destablise the regime.

I have seen higher estimates some sources put it at 15%

In addition this population is concentrated largely in two regions

A) The eastern region, a relatively poor part of the country that contains the major share of its oil resource

b) the south west border area with Yemen

Map-of-Shia-Islam-and-Oil-in-Saudi-Arabia1-300x262.jpg
    Bigger map at link.
    http://geocurrents.info/place/southwest-asia-and-north-africa/saudi-iranian-tensions-and-shia-islam-in-saudi-arabia

This raises the issue of separatism and/or irredentism
    In the case of
    A) greater Bahrain or Greater Iran or perhaps some kind of new shia arab state.

B) Greater Yemen
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Yemen

I doubt it will come to this as an uprising would be put down by the Saudis they have money enough for weapons and mercs
    This is the threat that Shia uprisings potential poses to the House of Saud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

There should be democracy in Saudi Arabia, Syria, Iran and every state in the middle east.

It's simply inexcusable to have any state run by a dictatorship or monarchy in the twenty first century, be it Saudi Arabia, Iran or Syria.

If the Saudi's carried out a barbaric crackdown like Assad did in Syria, then its possible the West may also turn against them too.

However the west is getting a stable supply of oil from Saudi Arabia and the last thing the leaders of the US, UK, Germany and so on want is disruption to that oil supply caused by a civil war.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Canvasser

The CIA isn't funding any rebel gangs in Saudi Arabia like they were in Libya and are in Syria.

plasmaguy wrote: »
    There should be democracy in Saudi Arabia, Syria, Iran and every state in the middle east.

It's simply inexcusable to have any state run by a dictatorship or monarchy in the twenty first century, be it Saudi Arabia, Iran or Syria.

If the Saudi's carried out a barbaric crackdown like Assad did in Syria, then its possible the West may also turn against them too.

However the west is getting a stable supply of oil from Saudi Arabia and the last thing the leaders of the US, UK, Germany and so on want is disruption to that oil supply caused by a civil war.

Ermm no. Did you not follow what happened in Bahrain? You're kidding yourself if you think the British, French or American governments give a sh1t about some dead arabs in the middle east.

You did watch the news when the Saudis sent the tanks rolling into Bahrain, didn't you?

I'd say if in the event there were huge protests/a revolution, that the Saudis would most likely make large concessions, like the way Mubarak keeled in Egypt without bloody crackdowns (as he knew the Americans could exert pressure on his regime and could make him suffer economically if he used the army to suppress protestors).
    You're kidding yourself if you think the British, French or American governments give a sh1t about some dead arabs in the middle east

While true, the Americans wouldn't provide tacit support for a bloody crackdown in Saudi Arabia, as doing so would tarnish their image beyond repair.

They sent in tanks..but they didn't flatten whole cities like Assad did. There's a world of difference.

The west have done next to nothing in Syria so lets knock that one on the head straight away. Medical supplies and communications equipment to help protect civilians mostly, they've also funded the refugee camps as the west always has to do when some maniac runs amok somewhere around the world.

But this thread isn't really about Saudi Arabia. It's just the latest in a long line of sticks with which to beat the west. They tend to get monotonous after a while.

If some people hate the west so much why not move somewhere else and send us a postcard. If North Korea, Cuba or Syria under Assad is so great, why not move there? I bet they'd soon get tired of not actually having a choice in who their president is!

The West and US have had a pretty good record on the Arab Spring by the way.

They have called for the leaders of Tunisia, Egypt, Syria, Yemen and Libya to step down. Yemen and Egypt are allies and the US was central to the transitions in both countries.

They have also called for peaceful demonstrations to be allowed in Bahrain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12762500

Contrast that with some posters on here who have wanted all the dictators mentioned above to stay in power though they may deny it.

So the US and the West has had a reasonably consistant position on the Arab Spring calling for peaceful protest to be allowed and movements towards democracy put in place. Contrast that with the Irish radical left who had called for no such movement to democracy. The Irish radical left really don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to the Arab Spring, they wanted Gadaffi to stay in power FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Not a chance.

The Saudis and 'western interests' are thick as thieves. The Saudis have massive sums of money, from selling oil in dollars, invested in the US and the west enjoys lucrative weapons contracts with the Saudis.

Both Western interests and the Saudis have too much to lose from squabbling over silly things like human rights and democracy.

Both Western interests and the Saudis have too much to lose from squabbling over silly things like human rights and democracy.

In fairness now, the impact of a prolonged crisis in Saudi Arabia wouldn't simply affect Western business interests, but every citizen of practically every Western state. In a democracy, one has to take account of the electorate, and I doubt very much that the average Irish or British citizen would be long in venting their fury when queueing for hours of petrol and such supplies.

They sent in tanks..but they didn't flatten whole cities like Assad did. There's a world of difference.

The west have done next to nothing in Syria so lets knock that one on the head straight away. Medical supplies and communications equipment to help protect civilians mostly, they've also funded the refugee camps as the west always has to do when some maniac runs amok somewhere around the world.

But this thread isn't really about Saudi Arabia. It's just the latest in a long line of sticks with which to beat the west. They tend to get monotonous after a while.

If some people hate the west so much why not move somewhere else and send us a postcard. If North Korea, Cuba or Syria under Assad is so great, why not move there? I bet they'd soon get tired of not actually having a choice in who their president is!

Ridiculous post. Why don't you go live in a caravan park in Alabama? You can put a "support the troops" sticker in the window.

Right, so let me get this straight.

Because I dislike American (not even Western, because the entire West never acts as a cohesive unit anyway) foreign policy, I should move to North Korea?

And where have I expressed my undying love for North Korea/ etc.?

So we should completely ignore Saudi Arabia like the Arab Spring has? I don't believe I have seen a thread on Saudi Arabia yet with regard to the Arab Spring on the politics forums. And so far, the discussion has 100% been about Saudi Arabia. You do realise that YOU were the one to bring the West into the discussion, don't you?

(I bolded it just in case you have a sudden bout of I-Can't-Read)

That can only tell me one thing- you are attempting to bait people into a passionate discussion about "the west" and then criticise them all for insulting "the west" as you usually do.

Now let's just all step away from the myopic right-winger, okay?

I do respect your opinions (whereas you don't respect ours) no matter how dumb it actually is. But antisocial behaviour like that ain't gonna get you anywhere here.
    They have also called for peaceful demonstrations to be allowed in Bahrain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12762500

Right, okay, yet Russia (off-topic a bit here but this is what you do to me) says the same about Assad all the time and yet you maintain that they still technically support him. Words mean nothing, you know.
    So the US and the West has had a reasonably consistant position on the Arab Spring calling for peaceful protest to be allowed and movements towards democracy put in place. Contrast that with the Irish radical left who had called for no such movement to democracy. The Irish radical left really don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to the Arab Spring, they wanted Gadaffi to stay in power FFS.

Really? Irish radical left? You are back to using that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Right, okay, yet Russia (off-topic a bit here but this is what you do to me) says the same about Assad all the time and yet you maintain that they still technically support him
    Are you going to claim they don't now? Would be interesting to see you attempt to prove this. Apart from rhetoric and waffle in the press by little Medvedev, what other excuse can you find for their blocking every other resolution against the Syrian regime?

Russia both in its current form and its former Soviet form have long supported the Syrian governments, the Ba'athists included. Exactly the same as other countries supporting the Saudis, including Pakistan.

Foreign Policy is determined by nothing other than what it can do for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Fret not, KSA will be "Arab Spring"ed in due course.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 174 ✭✭troposphere

You did watch the news when the Saudis sent the tanks rolling into Bahrain, didn't you?

I don't remember any tanks

saudi.jpg

saud_1849518c.jpg

saudi.jpg

saud_1849518c.jpg

Considering the protesters they were going to beat and arrest were unarmed then the armoured cars sufficied. The "rebels" in Syria on the other hand are armed to the teeth with weapons supplied by foreign powers. 2000 Syrian police alone have been killed by the "pro-democracy" rebels. No one is asking who these rebels are. The fact is they are anything but democracts and are often islamic nut jobs.

Oh sorry then, they sent in armoured cars to crush unarmed demonstrations. Silly me!

Posting two pictures doesn't exactly back up your point either. Also- figuratively speaking.
    Are you going to claim they don't now?

Of course Russia wants Assad to remain at the helm! If not Assad, then a friendly government.

I'd really love if you and plasmaguy would stop trying to bloody constantly derail the thread, thanks.
    Apart from rhetoric and waffle in the press by little Medvedev

Another pointless attack on the Russians in a thread which has nothing to do with them. Sigh.

And you call everyone else myopic? You seem obsessed with Russia/China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Of course Russia wants Assad to remain at the helm! If not Assad, then a friendly government
    You're contradicting your own slant now. There's a reason they support who they do. Its the exact same effing reason that any other government supports anyone who benefits them.
    Another pointless attack on the Russians in a thread which has nothing to do with them. Sigh.
    And you call everyone else myopic? You seem obsessed with Russia/China.
    I didn't bring them up.
    You on the other hand seem perfectly happy to discuss them . . . if you think it suits. When banging on endlessly about agendae, try applying the same level criticism to equal parties. Just a little advice, kiddo.

In that respect Arab Spring is certainly very fitting.

It is, isn't it? Iran and others have largely escaped it (and the Iranians self-identify as Persians)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

It is, isn't it? Iran and others have largely escaped it (and the Iranians self-identify as Persians)
    Not all of them, e.g. Armenians.

Not all of them, e.g. Armenians.

Well, the majority anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Well pointed out ......

I find the misclassification of armoured fighting vehicles (AFV)
    by commentators, journalists and newscasters very annoying.

If they cannot identify and classify AFV's correctly then I suggest
    they call everything an AFV or get training in Recognition of AFV's.

• Advertisement

Well pointed out ......

I find the misclassification of armoured fighting vehicles (AFV)
    by commentators, journalists and newscasters very annoying.

If they cannot identify and classify AFV's correctly then I suggest
    they call everything an AFV or get training in Recognition of AFV's.

You should get out more

Advertisement