Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what caused my low battery?

• 14-10-2012 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭

Or rather is my suspicion correct?

I plugged in a lamp recharger into the cigarettte lighter socket to test it.
    That was all.Just 4/5 seconds to see if the light on the lamp that indicated it was charging came on (it did).
    Then I took it out.

Next morning the battery was low and I had to remove the battery and bring it into the house for heat before I eventually succeeded in getting the motor to go.
    This (following ) morning it has started normally.

I would be very careful to lock the car and turn off the radio overnight and so I don't think that could have been the problem.
    And I appreciate that to have left in the recharger for long periods could be asking for trouble (which I didn't do)

Now I do have to admit that the recharger itself (the first time I had used it at all) was in poor ,recently repaired shape and was damp to boot).
    But could 4/5 seconds of connection to the battery via the cigarette lighter socket have drained the battery so quickly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Short circuit perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Battery age?

Your battery could be reaching say 75% which could be enough to start in mild weather. A few seconds of a high draw could bring it down a few points to where it would not fire the engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

how old is battery ? they usually ok 4 -5 year, if you get longer , then it is your luck.

when car is running, check voltage on battery poles, if it around 14 v., then alternator is fine, if around 12 v., then alternator is gone, also short driving distances kills batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭amandstu

battery is about 2 years old.The last one lasted 5 years.
    It started OK this morning and the circumstances were pretty much identical to yesterday except for the brief use of the cigarette socket. (and for the fact that I am now aware that if it doesn't start first go I could be in trouble and so take extra care)

Advertisement