Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car as though handbrake on but it isn't!!

• 29-09-2012 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

My car (fiat punto grande...2008 model) is not moving!!! It turns on ok and I can put it in gear fine and put the handbrake down fine but when I go to drive its acting like the handbrake is up, even though it isn't!!...and it won't move!!!
    Does anyone know what's wrong with it? Is it something I could fix myself with a screwdriver???...bit skint at the moment and can't afford to get mechanic to call out if it's something simple to fix. Many thanks!!!

Just editing to add...the body of the car moves but the wheels appear locked..if that makes any sense? Same sensation as though handbrake is on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Has probably sat for a few days and brakes have seized? You can usually free them with a rock and roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

If it was the handbrake you would feel and smell it and the car would move even if it was engaged.

Hard to know without more details but it could very well be the clutch if the engine us ticking over and the accelerator is working.

My car (fiat punto grande...2008 model) is not moving!!! It turns on ok and I can put it in gear fine and put the handbrake down fine but when I go to drive its acting like the handbrake is up, even though it isn't!!...and it won't move!!!
    Does anyone know what's wrong with it? Is it something I could fix myself with a screwdriver???...bit skint at the moment and can't afford to get mechanic to call out if it's something simple to fix. Many thanks!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Had similar problem with a 1996 model Punto. Brakes had seized up (caliper problem if I remember).

Mechanic had to steep them for a day.

Worst car ever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Can you rev up the engine when its in gear? If so the clutch is likely gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Thanks everyone. Basically the car moves, as in goes to drive forward but won't go anymore than that. Same as if you went to drive with the handbrake on...same sensation..like it'll go to move but only the body of car moves but wheels seem locked...if you know what I mean.
    Gears, handbrake all seem to be working ok as far as I can tell...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Try it a little in first and then reverse, it might free up with a pop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Does the engine stall? I'd expect it to stall if the brakes were locked on

Do the revs go up? I'd expect them to go up wildly if the clutch was fubar

corktina wrote: »
    Does the engine stall? I'd expect it to stall if the brakes were locked on

Do the revs go up? I'd expect them to go up wildly if the clutch was fubar

Neither of the above. Will try it in first and see how it goes. Only prob is that it's parked right up to a wall so can't really drive forwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

happens in the 02 corsa my boyfriend has. Just a bit of oiling of the handbrake needed if you can move it anywhere to do that of course. doesn't take long to do and if you've been with a mechanic for a while like us then unlikely to charge you for a 5 minute job....

it is bizarre when you go to move and the car just wont go. have found reversing hard frees it up in our car. is the car parked on a hill at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭granturismo

... have found reversing hard frees it up in our car. is the car parked on a hill at all?

I was told to do the same with a Fiat I had years ago when the brakes locked - put it into reverse and go for it. It worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

OP...
    Put your car into gear. Release the hand brake and lift the rear side of the car with the jack. Try to turn the wheel.
    If it turns, then it means problem lies somewhere else.
    If it doesn't turn, then it means handbrake is seized.

Also easier way to check is to leave can on neutral and handbrake off, get out and just try to push it. If it will move, then it means handbrake is not the problem.

Eventually, if you discover that handbrake is really seized, you can try to get underneath the rear of the car, locate a little handles coming of drum brake on the inside, and try to pull them towerds the rear of the car. There should be a handbrake cable attached to them, and they tend to seize sometimes on fiats.

Fantastic advice everyone. Going to wait til my husband gets home and try all of the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭alias no.9

OP check if you've got breakdown cover with your insurance or if a friend who can be with you with the car has AA cover, either one may be able to sort it at the roadside if it's just a sticky handbrake cable or something.

Managed to move car but left rubber marks from tyres on road! Appears wheels are seized. So this means handbrake right? Going to get hubby to go underneath car and see can he find cable as another poster explained. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

once you have the handbrake free, don't put it on again. Just leave your car in gear at all times until you can get it fixed....

once you have the handbrake free, don't put it on again. Just leave your car in gear at all times until you can get it fixed....

Ok thanks. It's still not fixed! I have the loan of my sisters car for the moment but my husband is tinkering away with mine. It's definitely the handbrake. He has loosened it slightly but one of the wheels is still not moving. Urgh.

Ok so I just want to update everyone incase someone down the line reads this thread in the hope that it sheds some light on a similar issue they are having..

So it was the handbrake. We tried everything listed on this thread to no avail. So finally my husband took the wheels off and have them (the bit still attached to the car where you attach the wheels to) a big bang with a hammer and the handbrake cable seemed to pop back to where it should be!!

Car is driving perfectly now!! Thanks everyone for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Happened a Punto I had years ago too but turned out to be the coil gone.
    Had an engine light on so knew it was an engine issue not a brake or handbrake issue.

Advertisement