Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How complicated is Irish Firearms Law? Let me draw you a diagram...

Options
  • 23-01-2015 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭

FirearmsLawInIreland.png

Okay, so a word of explanation here:
    Everything in black is an Irish Act. Red is an EU directive. Blue is an Irish SI. Anything in italics has been repealed and is just there for historical accuracy (there's only three).

I've tried to keep the Acts as close to an accurate place on the time index as I can, but with the SIs I just tried to keep them readably closely associated to their respective acts.

I've omitted minor Acts (like the various finance acts bar the most recent one pertaining to us) which make only minor rules that wouldn't affect most of us day to day.

Everything in the green box must be read together to form the Firearms Act, as amended.

(And yeah, I've sent this on to the Joint Committee)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sparks you forgot the Wildlife Act 1976,and its amendment in 2010 I think?
    The 1976 act set down the mag capacity for shotguns and what can and cant be used to hunt.
    No worries it proves your point.This is an absolute mess.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

:O x 100

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Sparks you forgot the Wildlife Act 1976,and its amendment in 2010 I think?
    Zoom out and look right :D
    And if that doesn't prove my point, nothing ever will!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

just just reading section 2(4) act and i noticed reference to 1968 firearms act that you forgot to mention
    I believe its to be used for institutes wanting to do proofing

Its relatively short , but just another one to add onto the list

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1968/en/act/pub/0020/print.html

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

bpb101 wrote: »
    just just reading section 2(4) act and i noticed reference to 1968 firearms act that you forgot to mention
    I believe its to be used for institutes wanting to do proofing

Its relatively short , but just another one to add onto the list

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1968/en/act/pub/0020/print.html

Thats in it already.... look over to the right hand side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Gormley85 wrote: »
    Thats in it already.... look over to the right hand side.
    mea culpa mea cupla

Advertisement