Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Libertarian property rights and animal cruelty

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

There's nothing incorrect about my use of 'coerce'
    It's so incorrect that to justify it you have had to construct a farcical world where only one Tesco exists -- wielding its coercive powers indiscriminately, starving people to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Well if you dismiss the whole idea of coercion as farcical, you've also blown your idea of an effective boycott against animal cruelty out of the water, as presumably you'd consider that farcical too, since that inherently relies on coercion.

Just because I take things to extremes doesn't mean there's any fault in that, it's a pretty effective way of showing problems in these base principals; it's these edge cases which identify the faults in the ideals, which can be wedged open and exploited by people with the motive and power to do so.

That's basically the entire approach I take to any political or economic philosophy; look for holes and potential problems, the edge cases, and try to wedge them open and exploit them.

Simple critical thinking for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

So, seeing as an acceptable albeit limited definition of animal-cruelty and torture has been given, and presumably Libertarian posters still deem property rights to be absolute (please do correct me if I'm wrong), the question now is whether or not a society where animal cruelty is acceptable is really better than what we have now? (and what makes it worth switching to that society, instead of trying to fix what we have now?)

There are a lot of extreme, uncompromising viewpoints when it comes to Libertarian views, and property rights is one of them; I don't think animal cruelty is even the first of the wide range of issues that would cause, just one of the more glaringly bad ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

So, seeing as an acceptable albeit limited definition of animal-cruelty and torture has been given, and presumably Libertarian posters still deem property rights to be absolute (please do correct me if I'm wrong), the question now is whether or not a society where animal cruelty is acceptable is really better than what we have now? (and what makes it worth switching to that society, instead of trying to fix what we have now?)

There are a lot of extreme, uncompromising viewpoints when it comes to Libertarian views, and property rights is one of them; I don't think animal cruelty is even the first of the wide range of issues that would cause, just one of the more glaringly bad ones.

Interesting points, when perusing an issue such as the one in this thread it does show how dogmatic these beliefs can be. The libertarian cannot countenance any solution that could be seen as interfering with property rights thus vastly reducing the ability of a society to prevent things such as animal cruelty.

Advertisement