Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chabal playing in the second row...

• 19-09-2007 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

good or bad for us?

on one hand he's a bit more hemmed in on the other hand he was number 5 against namibia nad did a lot of damage.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

depends which chabal shows up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Ulstermell0

yes obviously, but i mean strictly positionally is it better to have him stuck in the middle than on the flank - although betson is looking to start on the flank another absolute beast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Well Chabal was been on good form in 2nd row so it really depends if we show up come the line outs or if they do.

Its really a flip of the coin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

what we need is a ninja with a dart blower in the crowd - hit as many frogs as possible with darts with posion which makes people have numb legs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Betsen aint as good as he used to be. What worries me is the fact that Nyanga will be coming on after about 50 minutes with fresh legs. Could cause us some real problems in the second half.

• Advertisement

still think sticking some big hits on chabal and betson early on will help our confidence and damage the french.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

betsen a beast? hes always the lightest forward on the pitch.

probably better chabal in the 2nd row, less ball carrying options and I dont rate him on the basic donkey work a 2nd row needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Betsen is certainly not a beast although he is a world class backrow- past his best though. Hopefully he'll decide to get sinbinned three minutes in like against Leinster a few seasons ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

I think Chabal was going to be more of an impact sub or a 60 min guy until Pelous got his injury, Now they are on a plan B.

Grasping at straws but hopefully a fresh and raring to get out of his cage N Best is inleashed in Beast form and Ireland have at least one impact sub here.

The rest of the bench is just a bunch of rookies ready for the slaughter I feel

Discussed at length but Murphy and Hickie should be on that Bench if not starting mind bowing that Duffy is cover and even Boss for wings!

Cant Murphy even do an OH job that may rate as well as Wallace...

Maddness!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

I second that. Neil Best is the only Irish back row to show the aggression and disregard for safety to really make the really BIG hits on Chabal. He's emerged as the French team's talisman, and regardless of what sort of game he's having, knocking him on his ar$e a few times would deflate the French players and supporters,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Best is still getting all the massive credit for a huge hit during the autumn internationals last year and the odd big hit since. He does not do the hard graft (a lot of which goes unoticed) as good as Easterby and Betson do. Easterby has also scored a good few tries in the last 12 months.

Chabal is a bit of a Geordan Murphy, moments of genius followed by moments when you can only assume he is suffering from narcolepsy. With the way Ireland's second rowers have been playing I don't think it matters too much to France that they have a converted flanker in there.

Another thing; One of Chabal's tries last Sunday was the best I have ever seen by a second row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Rather have Chabal starting than coming on late when we're tired. If we can weather the early storm (or even better, create one ourselves) then we'll have weathered Chabal too.. He will tire early I'd imagine. But thankfully he's nowhere near the wing as poor old Andrew Trimble wouldn't of stood a chance

definitely think hitting chabal will knock the confidence of at least the french crowd - who love him despite the fact he is, i agree, over hyped - if not the french players.

as regards betson - i meant beast in terms of aggression, toughness and attitude not size.
    although again i agree nyanga def technically better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I agree that it's better to have Chabal start. Whatever about the enthusiasm of the Toulousains, the Parisians are a little harder to please, so it could well work out for us.

I think we're in line for one of our "moral victories" of old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

daveirl wrote:

well, as i fear we are going to find out France will play even better than they did in the first-half last March. Unlike then they will be more clinical this time. Which as you've admitted previously if they had been clinical last March the game would have been over as a contest by half-time. To think they have the likes of Jauzion, Nyanga and Rougerie on the bench. Frightening. I would dearly love to be wrong considering what happened last March. Eddie should be showing them the video of that game this week. They won't lack in motivation that's for sure but i just don't see it being enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

daveirl wrote:

Yeah, Chabal is just a weakling with no impact and a bad haircut. It wouldn't bother me to have to tackle him running at full tilt. Pshaw, he's just an eleven stone weakling, no bother at all...

1404781009_eaad97f853_o.jpg

Joking aside, actually, I think he's a bit on the small side for lock (192cm) and I'm glad that he's stuck in the depths of the scrum and not a breakaway, where his speed and strength could do us a lot of damage. As others have said, Betsen may be beyond his best but can still do a huge amount of damage slowing down ruck ball where his game has always been on the fringes of the law. I guess his effectiveness will depend on the ref, whereas Chabal's effectiveness will be stymied by being stuck in the scrum. It remains to be seen whether he'll play a looser role in the rest of the game though.

115kg 9% body fat!

i think the ref will be under pressure from IRB to make sure the hosts progress and could be a big factor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

i think the ref will be under pressure from IRB to make sure the hosts progress and could be a big factor.

hmmm.....:rolleyes:

There have been a lot of rugby posts this last couple of weeks, some of them not the most logical (rumours etc)... I think this might have jumped to the top of the list...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Not at all sure isn't the IRB headquarters in Dublin ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

was at a particular game few years ago in thomond when before hand chabal was being hyped up too:) anyone remember what happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Was that the one where O Connell took him to school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzExIqWZXYI

Chabal being driven backwards, Munster v Sale

Sorry don't know how to embed...

And the other side of Chabal....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrbp1ASVhCg

And the other side of Chabal....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrbp1ASVhCg

from my own experience it was easier to do that when the person your tackling is standing still after receiving a flat pass. Chabal found that out when Jerry Collins did it to him. The true test of power is when the guy is running at you and you propel him backward.
    Hopefully an Irish forward can do that to chabal on Friday.:)

from my own experience it was easier to do that when the person your tackling is standing still after receiving a flat pass. Chabal found that out when Jerry Collins did it to him. The true test of power is when the guy is running at you and you propel him backward.
    Hopefully an Irish forward can do that to chabal on Friday.:)

Yeah, he timed the tackle well but it was a hospital pass. Compare it with the charge at Ali Williams where he put his head first and broke Williams' jaw - Williams went down alright but Chabal still went backwards.
    Unfortunately I haven't seen enough aggression from the Irish forwards since the 6N to suggest any of them are going to put Chabal on his back properly.. :(

it's that flick he does with his hair that freaks me out.

A man flicking his hair should not intimidate another man!!!!

• Advertisement

going to put Chabal on his back properly.. :(

POC on one side and DOC on the other and then john hayes running through the middle..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 wildwords

this could infact be a cunning tactic by the french master mind leporte as all the Irish players will be cueing up to put in a big hit on chabal and falling over each other to tackle him and all he has to do is pass! ol sergie will always be on his flank waiting to sneek through the gaps left by over entusiastic tacklers.

wildwords wrote:
    this could infact be a cunning tactic by the french master mind leporte as all the Irish players will be cueing up to put in a big hit on chabal and falling over each other to tackle him and all he has to do is pass! ol sergie will always be on his flank waiting to sneek through the gaps left by over entusiastic tacklers.
    nah EOS will tell one or two to send a message. at least you would hope so!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

wildwords wrote:
    and all he has to do is pass!

Fortunately for us, thats the problem with your plan right there! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭webbie

Paddy power have Chabal at 18-1 for First Tryscorer Insurebet which means if he scores the first try you get 18-1 if he dosn't but does score in the match you get your money back. Looks like a good bet to me. I don't like betting against Ireland but can't resist this one.

Linford wrote:
    hmmm.....:rolleyes:

There have been a lot of rugby posts this last couple of weeks, some of them not the most logical (rumours etc)... I think this might have jumped to the top of the list...

lol sorry should have said the IRFU oops! :o

• Advertisement

apparently the cave man will be shaved and shorn for the match. not that it really matters, but cant believe he french media! hope it just fires the boys up more!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/09/20/rugbyworldcupmail.xml

Chabal being driven backwards, Munster v Sale

Sorry don't know how to embed...

Difference there was that was a Munster pack that dominated everyother pack in Europe and really didnt give a crap if it hurt

Were as know they arent quite sure what to do with the big men.

We can look at it this way if you want. The biggest comparison we can make to Chabal that the Irish team have played is Gogagadze [or however its spelled] the lock for the Georgians. He was MASSIVE and roamed across the whole pitch unopposed. The pack didnt single him out for treatment like they should so what happened was he went into midfield charge at the backs full of confidence and they hadnt a clue what to do with him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

chabal is gay, look at him with his long sissy boy hair

you never see an irish player with hair like that.

philstar wrote:
    chabal is gay, look at him with his long sissy boy hair

you never see an irish player with hair like that.

Oh dear about to have a wave of people lay into you for saying that

Issac Boss to name one :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Stev_o wrote:
    Oh dear about to have a wave of people lay into you for saying that

Issac Boss to name one :rolleyes:

oh yes Issac Boss, the Rastafarian forgot about him:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Chabal mania is sweeping France :)

They really are putting him up in the spotlight, every 2nd cover over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

daveirl wrote:

I don't think Neil Best has been given the chance to perform as he doesn't get the game time with Ireland and Ulster had a bad year in the HEC.
    I agree thet Quinlan should be there as the man has no fear and seemingly feels very little pain. Would have liked to see him at least on the bench. He's been very unfortunate not to find his way back to regular first team rugby since his injuries. He's getting on and I'd like to see him going out with a bang.

Yeah, he timed the tackle well but it was a hospital pass. Compare it with the charge at Ali Williams where he put his head first and broke Williams' jaw - Williams went down alright but Chabal still went backwards.
    Unfortunately I haven't seen enough aggression from the Irish forwards since the 6N to suggest any of them are going to put Chabal on his back properly.. :(

which is why Best or Quinlan should probably be playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

**** it Im doing this to all the threads

COME ON IRELAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

115kg 9% body fat!

fat c*nt :P

nah he's an Ulstafarian! - boss that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

This game can be won !!!

C'mon Ireland !!!

Advertisement