Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mick Foley Ireland Shows

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

There was some right gob****es at the second show offering drink etc. It didn't take away from a very enjoyable evening though. I thought the warm up guy was great too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just home from Dolan's in Limerick.

Foley is God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Long time reader first time poster. Was at Foleys show last night in Limerick. Great show, good stories, with Foley to appear on Monday night Raw on the 15th and he hopes to appear again soon after that. He also hinted at a role in talent recruitment, so heres hoping to an exciting tag division in wwe in the future, with him known to be a fan of Motor City Machine Guns and Beer Money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Long time reader first time poster. Was at Foleys show last night in Limerick. Great show, good stories, with Foley to appear on Monday night Raw on the 15th and he hopes to appear again soon after that. He also hinted at a role in talent recruitment, so heres hoping to an exciting tag division in wwe in the future, with him known to be a fan of Motor City Machine Guns and Beer Money.

Welcome to the forum, wrestlemanic. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Source: PW Torch!

Mick Foley has announced a second U.K. (and Ireland - damn PW Torch!) Tour for his personal stand-up comedy show scheduled for February-March 2012. Eight dates are currently scheduled for the "Mick Foley Nights in Red Flannel U.K. Comedy Tour 2012." The list of dates is below from Mick Foley's website.

Feb 24 - London - Leicester Square Theater
    Feb 25 - London -Leicester Square Theater
    Feb 27- Birmingham - The Glee Club
    Feb 28 - Cardiff, Wales - The Glee Club
    Feb 29 - Sheffield -Memorial Hall
    March 1- Liverpool - Olympia
    March 2 - Dublin, Ireland (venue TBD)
    March 3 - Belfast, UK - Empire

My money is on the olympia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

CMpunked wrote: »
    My money is on the olympia.

Hmmm I think the Olympia is too big. I would say somewhere like The Button Factory.

Charisteas wrote: »
    Hmmm I think the Olympia is too big. I would say somewhere like The Button Factory.

Yeah you could be right. But then it will probably be vicar street, it being a comedy venue and that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yeah you could be right. But then it will probably be vicar street, it being a comedy venue and that.

Would that still be took big , Vicar St can hold over a 1000 people . Yea id say Button Factory or unless MCD do it then The Academy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

does it really matter where he performs?
    IMO it will still be an awesome night, although I will be seeing him in belfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Off his comedy tour Facebook,very much looking forward to this!

The DUBLIN show on 2nd March will take place at the fantastic O'Reilly Theatre on the grounds of Belvedere College. Tickets should be on sale next week. Check back here, follow @FoleyStandUpUK on Twitter and keep an eye on the official tour website. http://mickfoleystandup.co.uk/

Just Googled Belevedere College to see where it is, look at the name of the Headmaster on the right hand side of the page, you just can't make this stuff up!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belvedere_College

His cousin probably cut him a nice deal to rent the place out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Off his comedy tour Facebook,very much looking forward to this!

The DUBLIN show on 2nd March will take place at the fantastic O'Reilly Theatre on the grounds of Belvedere College. Tickets should be on sale next week. Check back here, follow @FoleyStandUpUK on Twitter and keep an eye on the official tour website. http://mickfoleystandup.co.uk/

Lovely, just around the corner from me da's gaf. We can all crash there.

Details on the BELFAST show for 3rd March will follow as soon as we have them. Watch this space.

• Advertisement

Details on the BELFAST show for 3rd March will follow as soon as we have them. Watch this space.

belfast empire comedy club

tickets for the belfast show went on sale yesterday from ticketmaster outlets and from the venue itself (ask at the bar)

i got mine today :D

We're happy to say that the final venue for the 2012 tour is now on sale. Get your tickets for Friday March 2nd in DUBLIN right here. Ticket price includes the pre-show meet and greet with one signed item of your choice and a photo opportunity. Come and see Mick in the city where he made his 2011 WWE return.

https://tickets.ie/event.aspx/tickets/mick-foley-oreilly-theatre-dublin-02-March-2012/FJGDA

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Just booked my tickets on tickets.ie, meet and greet included in ticket price for 26.50

Should be a good night

Anyone else from here going to the Dublin show next Friday?

Couldn't convince even one of my non wrestling fan friends to accompany me so,I'll be going on my own like a saddo!

• Advertisement

all details are up on the official site for each date in the tour about the meet and greet and photo opportunities with the man himself, different times etc for them all.
    some before the show some after etc, i will be at the Belfast one and will be in awe all night long, FOLEY IS GOD

Pity this is on a friday night :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Got tickets for myself and my finaceé, cannot wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

He's on Sky Sports News at half 3 today (they just said).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Going to this myself. Should be good! Hope to shake his hand and that. Going by myself though :(

Anyone here going to it up to meeting up for a pre drinks and have some wrasslin and general chat?? I doubt ill be staying around after it though, ill prob be hitting twisted pepper or the button factory right after it that night and getting my skank on! Your welcome to come along though if anyone wants to :P

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Maps2011

Hi,
    I read you can get an 8x10 signed at the meet and greet.
    Is that an 8x10 of me with Foley?, or just foley?

You can get one piece of your own merchandise signed by Foley,plus any other stuff that you buy at the gig according to reports of his shows in England.

Going to get my copy of Tietam Brown signed by him,if the lines aren't that big.

Does he just chat about wrestling, or about his life in general?

He apparently just switches between telling random wrestling storys to his standup routine with no real theme.Supposed to be good craic for wrestling fans.Quite looking forward to it now.

Looking forward to tonight, myself and my finaceé are both heading, she is dying to get a hug from Mick at the meet and greet!

If anyone spots me do say hello, it's hard to miss my beard and it would be great to finally meet some Boardsies!

• Advertisement

Anyone know what time to get there for the meet and greet at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭a7k10rf6z8buel

Tickets.ie say the meet and greet is on at 6 so probably between half five and then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Enjoyed tonight. Support acts were top class. Mick was great. It's just a pity that some WrestlIng fans / event goers in Ireland are annoying losers and at times it can be mortifying to be Irish.

If there's anyone in wrestling that should have earned a bit of respect, it's Mick Foley. From what he's done inside both inside and outside of the ring. It couldnt have been made any clearer throughout the show that irrelevant and attention seeking yelling of random shíte was not wanted. Yet still, undeterred.. The idiots had to wreck everyone's buzz...

However he felt about it afterwards, mick was dead right asking said people to leave. Nobody paid to hear a bunch of eegits shouting out stuff like "Vader's gay". So yea, sarcastically slow claps all round to those guys if you're reading this.

Still a good show despite the shower of ruiners

However he felt about it afterwards, mick was dead right asking said people to leave. Nobody paid to hear a bunch of eegits shouting out stuff like "Vader's gay". So yea, sarcastically slow claps all round to those guys if you're reading this.

Still a good show despite the shower of ruiners

Dear God. What happened? Like, how did he handle it?
    *Facepalm*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Dear God. What happened? Like, how did he handle it?
    *Facepalm*

CMPunked.... gotta say but tonight was totally a let down but not by Mick or by the warm ups acts but all the muppets in the crowd. Maybe about 5 or 6 altogether.

We had 4 total twats in the row behind us (1 in a pantera shirt,1 in an NWO shirt,1 ginger guy that was probably a girl and a guy with a crap moustache) and from the first time the compare chris came out they just roared and shouted the whole time and so you missed alot of the jokes and punchlines cos of these guys.

I have to say that Mick was a total gentleman and deserves so much respect for the enjoyment he has give us all over the years but tonight has really shown a bad light on us Irish fans. You could see how upset and annoyed Mick was.

To answer CMpunked's question,Mick was very quiet when he was trying to handle the situation. He spoke to these muppets in the crowd,he asked them if they didnt want to be there then to please leave and let everyone else enjoy it but as the night wore on the muppets kept shouting more and more. After about 4 or 5 times of asking people to be quiet he singled out afew people (including the twats i mentioned) and pulled out his wallet and offered to give them their money back if they would leave but of course the chickens wouldnt say anything and just kept muttering under their breath.

I gotta ask,why was there no security to deal with these people? I mean,if your in a cinema and people are talking then staff would come and chuck you out so you dont spoil it for everyone? These assholes that were shouting were doing it from before the first warm up act,why were they not chucked out or told to wise up then?

I was there with 4 friends and we all sat afterwards in fibbers in pretty much disbelief as to the lack of respect that was shown and to make things worse,the 4 assholes that were sitting behind us shouting all night were in the bar and were laughing about it! So if these guys are reading this then cheers for wrecking a night i was looking forward too for ages :(

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭IanMc666

Absolute pleasure and an honor to meet Mick Foley and get two of his autographs tonight. And regarding the show, the two support lads for him were great, and Mick himself was fantastic. But that pack of absolute f*u***ng MONGOS ruined a lot of it. They were sat 6 feet behind myself and my mates on the row behind us, and were trouble from the start.

Bunch of absolute wannabe tough guys. Then they decided to strut their stuff about Fibbers like they accomplished something fantastic.

Lads, yer a bunch of disrespectful thicks.

Cheers.

Even leaving the venue, the whole place was in absolute awkward silence. Everyone felt terrible. I was annoyed but more so just upset that Mick tried his best and because of 5 or 6 thicks it ruined his night, which he pretty much stated himself. At first I thought it was him just taking the piss but as the night went on and the retards went on and on he got more fed up, as anyone normal being would.

The 90% of the crowd that actually gave a **** like myself stuck by him and applauded him throughout all of this but it's a complete shame and I'm still raging over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Was it well attended? Foley was stressing over ticket sales here vs. the UK.

rovert wrote: »
    Was it well attended? Foley was stressing over ticket sales here vs. the UK.

It was actually pretty packed out yeah. There was one or two empty seats but it was fairly packed out from what I could see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I think I was about 2 rows in front of the arseholes. Just terrible. Mick isn't the best comedian, he needs a receptive audience for the material, and some cockbag behind me kept saying 'Tori Amos' for a solid five minutes before Mick used it as a punchline. Awful, awful arseholes.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I think I was about 2 rows in front of the arseholes. Just terrible. Mick isn't the best comedian, he needs a receptive audience for the material, and some cockbag behind me kept saying 'Tori Amos' for a solid five minutes before Mick used it as a punchline. Awful, awful arseholes.

You must have been near me so.. The second that lad shouted out that I cringed and knew from there that the show would go downhill.

Sure it was no better than Mick recalling a moment and someone shouting "1998!!!!".

There is more to Mick than Hell In A Cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

IanMc666 wrote: »
    You must have been near me so.. The second that lad shouted out that I cringed and knew from there that the show would go downhill.

Sure it was no better than Mick recalling a moment and someone shouting "1998!!!!".

There is more to Mick than Hell In A Cell.

The guy who shouted 1998 was like 2 seats in front of me. I WANTED TO SMASH HIS STUPID FACE INTO HIS GUTS.

The problem was that the comedians were fine. They didn't have to worry about the wrestling overtaking the comedy, Mick just had people who were interested in wrestling and not interested in the comedy. And the compere guy had a list of putdowns he could at least use.

I thought it was a bad idea that they said there wouldn't be an interval, so 40% of the crowd ran out to get booze, then they had an interval anyway but I saw nagins of vodka on the floor where the arseholes were sitting when I left. THey would have been arseholes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭A-Train

I was at with 3 friends, enjoyed the mc, the 2 comedians and the great man himself. He was a gent, got pictures and autographs from him!

But my god me and the lads left the gig absolute raging because of these stupid arseclowns thinking their brilliant shouting out stuff and ruining it for everybody else just they had a bit of Dutch courage.

Mick was clearly very annoyed and we were raging that everybody in Dublin as he said himself would be remembered as a bad crowd because of these losers! We were sitting down the front and really can't understand how people sitting besides these guys didn't resort to violence.

Me and the lads all tweeted him to try say the gig was great but please don't let the idiots destroy the Irish crowds name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Yea. As I said in a Tweet to him, it wasn't just that they can't handle their drink as they can't handle being out in public. Feck sake. Thank god it wasn't the last night of his tour

Would be ironic if those feckin geebags were the ones complaining and giving out that he wasn't doing a Dublin show on the last tour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

I just wanted to hit the guy at the very front right with the white tight shirt on. So loud and kept standing like he was the alpha male before the gig started and during the break. Id say he had taken more than drink too.....IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

***WARNING! VERBOSE RECOUNT OF FOLEY'S DUBLIN GIG!***

427382_376395352380072_214180768601532_1432578_1534051303_n.jpg

As ever, Mick is a true gentleman and a charismatic, humble guy; but the show really didn't come together. As others mentioned the low point of the show was the ~5 hecklers who would should out random foley-esque references. Unfortunately Mick isn't an accomplished comedian so he couldn't deal with them very well; he couldn't just power-on through the heckles, ultimately halting his anecdotes (one right before the punchline) to chastise/reason with a heckler, before having to set up his gag again. He'd offer to give them a refund right out of his wallet; he'd talk to them with civility, and it didn't work at all. It went on for far too long and felt like you were back in school, when the teacher was giving out. He did bring it back up (how the night hadn't gone great) and apologised, which was also death.

The meet & greet started about 6pm and the show ended at 11pm - a horrible idea - as you're potentially (and likely) having people hungover in the crowd. The starting time was late, come about 8pm there was no alcohol in the venue (and was replenished during the opening acts). They initially announced no intermission, and then changed their mind, the whole operation seemed very last minute.

The MC was an irish comedian Chris Brooker, who came out with and Edge t-shirt and theme, and did wrestling gags (ruining his undertaker t-shirt that his girlfriend threw on, while misusing his wrestlemania seat) hit and miss but i did appreciate him trying to make wrestling jokes and the crowd ate it up.

There were two warm up acts, a wexford fella (Mick Thomas) living in NY; who talked about his daughter being his favourite.....then a real yank (Tim Guage) who had a yank routine about taking his kids to the beach by himself (carrying everything, taking his son to the piss-stained public toilets) and being at an age that he's now bald and can't fart because sometimes it's more than that. Universal fart humour. Both guys were on form and quite funny, got good laughs and lightened the mood. Great job guys. Actually met the bald US comedian just outside the auditorium before he went on stage. obviously i didn't know who he was, he was right to say the toilets weren't up these stairs. Also wandered into the backstage by accident trying to get back to the auditorium; backtracked like Hawk during a Vader promo when i saw flashlights starting to move in my direction!

The real problem was that this was a pro-wrestling crowd, used to hollering whatever/whenever they want, trying to get the performers' attention. But this is a comedy gig in an auditorium with 500 seated people. So 498 are silent/attentive, every heckle can be heard. Mick also had a 'special song' to play for hecklers, but even patiently waiting and hassling the sound guy from the stage, it never came on. I tweeted Mick about it, maybe he can tell us! Bar the few scattered muppets in the crowd, Foley couldn't ask for a better, more receptive audience. His comic timing isn't great, some of his punchlines fell flat and his anecdotes could be more interesting than funny; but whenever he paused, he'd get a laugh and a round of applause. He does mostly whisper into the mic, or maybe it's a comedian stressing-importance thing.

Reading a review from last year's gig, seems like he had all new material, so I'll share some of it here.

The funniest parts of the show were cheap shots at TNA (he told a story about Velvet Sky motorboating him, was shocked as a married man, but had an entire TNA crowd as witnesses - literally dozens of people); he initially came out to his WWE music, then re-did the entrance mocking Brodus Clay, dancing! He also stopped halfway through the show to peel back his left sleeve to reveal his crib notes, which got a raucous cheer. Surprised only a few people got the reference and shouted "THE DOZENS!" of Foley fans.

Pretty much the whole set was wrestling (that and complaining/apologising about hecklers); he mentioned getting pumped listening to a Tori Amos song before his WM2006 match with Edge (Kane interrupted Foley in a meditation tent at the venue, having heard what he was listening to, said "remind me never to **** with you"); Dynamite Kid drinking at a bar and telling a fan (Jericho) who was sheepishly approaching him to "don't even ****ing think about it!"; recounted a story about getting a h---j-- from a hitchhiker while her boyfriend was in the back sleeping (I didn't like this at all, but he did explain it at the end of the set that it was his wife roleplaying). He sidetracked talking about black comedians and their impressions of white people "hey there feller! Cut the malarkay!" which was quite funny.

He did recount the Hell in a Cell match with Undertaker (and how his wife gave out to him for not ringing home straight after the match - something he does every time - except this one, he was unconsious) and said the worst bump of the night was not getting chokeslammed through the cell, but having the chair follow him down and smash him in the face. He compared it to real sports (where they'd stop if someone was unconsious) to wrestling (where Vince would say "buy him some time"; sending terry funk out there to get chokeslammed out of his shoes. Foley noted he never saw Funk, just "what are these shoes doing in the ring?"...So when his tooth came out of his mouth and pierced his penis, sorry - nose, Taker leaned in and said (Foley warned us about breaking kayfabe) "hey there feller!" which got a big laugh. He said Taker said (in his best Taker impression) "Go home".

He noted that when he was commissioner, he didn't have days or hours to read the script; as commish he had to know what everyone else was saying but he loved working live tv shows and having to improvise. Another anecdote was circa 2000 when he saw Vince backstage just before a show talking to Jericho, reminding him to call Steph a "dirty disgusting (etc) trash bag ho"; Foley looking at him weird and saying "Vince, that's your daughter" and Vince replying "In this business I'd do anything for a pop". Which got some kind laughs and a round of applause. Whenever Foley's punchlines didn't work he'd just get a round of applause.

His last joke's punchline died/abruptly stopped as he went *straight into* a very short Q&A without missing a beat, it was really very odd. Someone asked about being a wrestler ("don't do it"), what was the sorest move (Foley couldn't understand him and so - next!) next autobiography (maybe 1 person cheered) and said he's written one but that's why it isn't out (Mick was generally not that quick on his feet with comebacks etc)...funniest rib (story about Owen -- during the attitude era the godfather got his ho's from local bars, and owen convinced tv news reporters that they worked for the WWF, and were being interviewed on TV, and blackjack mulligan saw and broke it up. "and that was owen" was the punchline).

To end the night he mentioned 'when people asked me about this tour i'm gonna say it was great - except for dublin' (which got gasps) and then he backtracked and said 'except for a few people in dublin'. He also mentioned his experience affecting him coming back (negatively) but the compere/introducer did mention he'll definitely be back (....dunno about that mate!). After mick apologised for not dealing/having to deal with the hecklers, he did a schtick about torture, and getting motorboated by Velvet Sky (saying it was like being punched by Vader, but in a good way) and torture was not being threatened with something, but being threatened that something great was never going to happen again. He brought out the two warm-up acts; and then left the stage (cursing this show); got a standing ovation/applause but the mood was still very sour after the complaining he did, as everyone awkwardly left.

So it was memorable, to say the least! Anyway I didn't mean it to go so long, but sure, hope you got a good feel for the show. I gotta stress that most people were absolutely lovely, attentive and had a great time, but the parting thought/mood was disappointment and sourness from Mick, and from the Dublin crowd about the few scattered '****' in the crowd. Hey, at least I was there for the first and last Dublin Foley gig!

TL;DR? Everyone tried to have a good night but it was ruined/soured by a few hecklers & Mick couldn't deal with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A friend of mine went to this and made a pretty valid point. It's Foley fans (be they good or bad) who might have gone to a comedy gig for the very first time. Sure they came across as arseholes but politely offering a refund was probably the worst thing you could do. I'm sure as a comedian he'll learn you have to verbally murder these people to send a message.

Did anybody tell the hecklers to shut up or was it just Foley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It was the same few people; I'm sure it would've been a different story if Foley hired security. Sure hindsight is 20/20 but chuck the first heckler out and the rest fall in line.

There were a few scattered "shut up!" etc in the crowd but nothing much; more applauding Mick's chastising.

Getting to meet Mick was brilliant. My fiancée had a blast chatting to him and was delighted to get a hug from him-made her night. So when we left the meet and greet to get some food we were both on a high.

The place was PACKED! Think I only saw four empty seats. The MC was alright, his Wrestlemania chair story was great, and he knew how to handle hecklers...sort of. You had a feeling that some lads where not going to shut up, but maybe it wouldnt happen during Foleys set.

I was wrong.

We both thought Mick was a blast, and I was glad to ask a question during Q&A (The ribbing story one), but the lads looking for attention just ruined the night. I mean the athmosphere just became so sour whenever Foley got sidetracked, and watching him keep his head down and shaking it as he walked off stage was disheartening.

I think the venue could have been better organised. I mean announcing that there was no intermission so get drink, then changing their minds and telling people to get booze again. Plus the sound guy needed a slap. I noticed at one stage when Mick was looking for his special music the guy wasn't in the bloody booth! And finally if they had actual security then the lads could have been removed very quickly.

But as we left we tried to just focus on the positives. Kicks stories were very funny and interesting, the warm ups were good and Mick was a great man to talk to at the meet and greet. I hope he comes back, picks a different venue and lets us have another chance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement