Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MovieDudes review : Back to the Future (may contain spoilers!)

Options
  • 11-02-2003 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Back to the future is a story about a young slaker (translation : 'waster') called Marty McFly (Michael J Fox) who accidentally finds himself hurtling thru time when a documentary he's filming goes strangely wrong..

BTTF is a remake of Orson Wells 1960 classic movie 'The Time Machine' only with a novel twist for the 80's generation! You see, in 'Back to the Future' the protagonist doesn't travel into the future to learn the fate of mankind, oh no! In this modern retelling Marty travels BACK into the PAST. Bet ya didn't see that coming?

Now you may think to yourself 'where's the excitement and adventure in a situation like that? After all, people back in the olden days were harmless & stupid and besides, if things did get dangerous, couldn't he just hop back into the car and fly right back to good old 1985?' Well, my friend, the answer would be NO! And I'll tellya why...

You see the time machine in this movie works on the prinsiple that if you fill a car up with plutohnium (a special kind of petrol) you can travel to anytime in history once you go past 88kph. All well and good except that in 1985 you couldn't just buy plutohnium at the local Texaco, so Doc (Martys best friend & also the guy who invented DeLorian) steals some of this precious fuel off a bunch of Iraki terrorists.

Now, hard enough as plutohnium was to get in '85 you could forget about getting some 30 years earler because back in 1955 (where Marty now finds himself) there WAS no Irak (or Iraki terrorists for that matter), hense no need for plutohnium to be invented! No plutohnium means no time machine and no time machine means no way back to the year 1985 for Marty! And that dubly sucks, because Marty has a hot date with his girlfriend Jennifer (Elisabeth Shoe) on Saturday night and he'd better not be late!

To compond problems yet further Marty accidentally bumps into the 1955 version of his mother (who is now aged just 17) and she becomes infaturated with him. You can work the consequences of that one for yourself my friend!

Anyway, All of this majorly freaks marty out so he finds the Doc (Christopher Lloyyd) to ask for help getting him get 'back to the future'. Doc is a bit sckeptical at first because back in the 50's nobody understood how to time-travel like we do today but he eventually agrees to help under the provisoh that Marty stops screwing up the future and fixes the mess hes already made thru meeting his mother.

So Marty is set the task of getting Mom and Pop together or else he won't be born and the Doc will be very miffed. Dya get me? This film is pretty complicated as you can tell, but after watching it about 5 or 6 times it started making sense to me.

So, can Doc fix the time machine? Will Marty be able to unite his future parents before he disappears into the space-time-continuous? Will the Iraki's get their com-upa-nce? All these questions (and more) will be answered during the movie and the answer to them all, I'm glad to report, is YES !

Finally, film purists (before dismissing BTTF) should also note that this movie isn't just a piece of throwaway blockbuster rubbish either. It's a film with a message and that message is that if you ever find yourself stuck back in time then remembr DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING! Have ya got that!??! Or failing that be sure to change everything BACK quickly before leaving or else who knows what could happen!

Food for thought, indeed!

Movie Dudes rating : ***** (out of 4!) yep, its that good!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

WTF........who are you....go away please....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

lol, excellent, thanks for the insights into this film. I hope we all see more films reviewed by you on this board in future.

Luc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Reasonably comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

might have been funny a few years ago.

somethingawful kinda beat you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Move to humour board? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Is there a summary ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I'd be better disposed to these intermittent reviews if you would learn how to spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

We missed ya moviedude!!

Nixon

Erin Brockovitch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

funneh!
    Keep them coming Moviedude! :D

"but after watching it about 5 or 6 times it started making sense to me."

^^ must be a p!ss take!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

There are so many inaccuracies in this review I don't know where to begin. Having said that, I laughed my ass off. I only wonder if MovieDude is for real or if he's taking the complete and utter pi$$.
    once you go past 88kph.
    88mph
    (Martys best friend & also the guy who invented DeLorian)
    Doc Brown created the time machine using the Delorian. John Delorian owned the company that created the car.
    a bunch of Iraki terrorists
    Libian terrorists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Errr either this guy is a fruit.. reviewing movies from 10 years ago, or he's taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by Repli
    Errr either this guy is a fruit.. reviewing movies from 10 years ago, or he's taking the piss.

Think that it's a bit of both...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

lol, nice one Bubbles!

First of all learn to spell. Secondly get your facts right before you write a review or article.
    BTTF is a remake of Orson Wells 1960 classic movie 'The Time Machine'

George Pal made the 1960s version of The Time Machine. Orson Welles had nothing to do with it.

So, can Doc fix the time machine? Will Marty be able to unite his future parents before he disappears into the space-time-continuous? Will the Iraki's get their com-upa-nce? All these questions (and more) will be answered during the movie and the answer to them all, I'm glad to report, is YES !

When writing a review dont tell people the entire plot you pleb. Why would someone who has never seen BTTF before want to now that youve told them the entire plot.

Just go and never ever return or write another review.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭fester

good review :)

I'd love to see you review some more oldiez!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by TinCool

Libian terrorists.

"Libyan"

If you're going to correct him... try to be correct :p

Nice troll :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭fester

Darko, give Movie Dude a break. It does say "(may contain spoilers!)" in the subject title. Thats fair warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

For a while, I was sitting here wondering what that weird noise was.

Then I read some of these replies, and realised it was just the sound of a thousand whooshes as this joke flew over the heads of the people that read this board.

These kinds of reviews are nice, but getting very old.

Advertisement