Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Laguna starting problems

Options
  • 24-11-2013 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi

Any idea,s , i have a laguna 1.6 2001 and the key card didnt start the car . So i went on forum,s and found that if i press the clutch it will work and low and behold it has .

My question is first off what,s my problem is it the clutch or what . and then how long will the car keep working doing it this way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

tfromkerry wrote: »
    Hi

Any idea,s , i have a laguna 1.6 2001 and the key card didnt start the car . So i went on forum,s and found that if i press the clutch it will work and low and behold it has .

My question is first off what,s my problem is it the clutch or what . and then how long will the car keep working doing it this way

Was it in gear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭tfromkerry

Interslice wrote: »
    Was it in gear?
    how do you mean ??

Its in neutral when i try and start it

It wont start unless i press the clutch , if i let off the clutch it wont start at all .

And i want to know , why is this and how long can i keep doing it like so .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Tbh thats how they should work.
    A: Laguna in neutral.
    Some can be started by simply putting in the card and pressing the button. The rest (including the some) can be started by holding either the clutch or the brake pedal down then pressing the button.

B: Laguna in gear. This will only start if the clutch pedal is held down. If it doesnt then youll have to put it in neutral and press the brake instead. Such would be because the clutch switch no longer works, mainly because the wires leading to it break off.

(Some mechanics bypass the switch by joining the wires but this is dangerous as it allows the Laguna to start in gear. And as any Renault driver will know, once you press the start button the starter only stops when the engine fires up or after about 7 seconds of cranking...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

how do you mean ??

Its in neutral when i try and start it

It wont start unless i press the clutch , if i let off the clutch it wont start at all .

And i want to know , why is this and how long can i keep doing it like so .

It's purely an electrical problem. Possibly thinks your in gear. Meganes as standard won't start without your foot on either the clutch or brake. Wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks renegade , so your saying that its grand to start car this way . How come it started all the other times without pressing the clutch .

• Advertisement

Thanks renegade , so your saying that its grand to start car this way . How come it started all the other times without pressing the clutch .

Not too sure, but it is fine. Sometimes mine wont start without pressing the clutch or brake either though that little thing is just with 01-03 Lagunas. No idea why... But a few days later and itll start the other way again. But the default setting is to require either the clutch or the brake to be pressed. Some can do it without. Most cant. On the other end I was watching telly ages ago and heard mine start!!! I nearly took the door off the hinges running out thinking who on Earth was desperate enough to rob one but when I got there the doors were locked as I had left them! It just... started.. Hasnt happened since and previous owner never had it either so I left well enough alone:D

lol really haha , well its driving away grand any ways thank god could face car trouble this close to xmas . So hopefully all is well , thanks for replies as i know feck all about cars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

My BMW with manual gearbox has to have the clutch pressed or it will not start and this is standard. The automatic models have to have the brake pressed.

Its gas how all the time long it worked without pressing the clutch , then yesterday went into car to head off into town and bang it didnt work , and of course it didnt click with me to try it while pressing the clutch :) so i had to start up laptop and go searching lol

But thank god its grand now and by all seems to be the proper way to start

Just last thing while on here , is do you have to do it on all car,s even cars with normal keys

Its widely touted as the correct way to start a car. The idea is that youre removing the load of spinning the gearbox in order to prolong battery and starter life but to be honest Ive changed enough of them to doubt if it makes much difference :o
    Mabye on more old school jeeps with large gearboxes or lorries with massive ones but on cars I think the load relief is negligible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Might also make sure you don't career off into another car when starting if you've accidentally left it in gear, too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Mine just starts by pressing the button if in neutral.

If its Laguna info you want though mate, you won't do better than the Renegade :)

Yea Jesus , mine was the same . It started away just by pressing the button , but all of a sudden it wont . I now need to press the clutch for it to work .

And that's good to hear a Renegade , as its great knowing where to call on advice on cars :) .

Long shot here.. But try disconnecting the battery and leaving it for a while, say a half hour. Have the radio code handy as youll lose it. I had a problem where the button had to be held untile the engine fired up. (oh, the travesty of it all!!) Just pressing it once would only blip the starter. But disconnecting the battery and leaving the car alone for a while before re-connecting it solved it. Electrical is not my strong suit Im afraid so I cant explain why it worked.. Worth a shot mabye.

Long shot here.. But try disconnecting the battery and leaving it for a while, say a half hour. Have the radio code handy as youll lose it. I had a problem where the button had to be held untile the engine fired up. (oh, the travesty of it all!!) Just pressing it once would only blip the starter. But disconnecting the battery and leaving the car alone for a while before re-connecting it solved it. Electrical is not my strong suit Im afraid so I cant explain why it worked.. Worth a shot mabye.

Hi Renegade , I am going to leave well alone :D at the minute as its working grand out this way . I will keep pressing the clutch at the start .;):D

Hi Renegade , I am going to leave well alone :D at the minute as its working grand out this way . I will keep pressing the clutch at the start .;):D

I have yet to meet a Renault owner, myself included, that doesnt live by that sword:D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭bman1

Is it not the green sensor on the gearbox that's at fault? Was that that caused the exact same problem in my 01 1.8 Laguna. Out of curiousity are your reverse lights working? I could be totally wrong on all this but it sounds like problems I had that's all.

bman1 wrote: »
    Is it not the green sensor on the gearbox that's at fault? Was that that caused the exact same problem in my 01 1.8 Laguna. Out of curiousity are your reverse lights working? I could be totally wrong on all this but it sounds like problems I had that's all.

I will check it out , and how did you or did you havew sort your problem .

My mechanic spent years with renault, out on his own now, so loads of knowledge without the main dealer prices. My car wasn't starting in neutral by just pushing the button, always had before. I had a second hand gearbox at home so whipped the sensor off that and put it in my gearbox, problem solved. Although a few months later I copped I had no reverse lights one night, rang mechanic, he said the second pin on that green sensor was to do with the reverse lights, replaced with a new one and perfect since. That's my story anyway, you problem might not be the same but I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw up my post here. Hope you get sorted.

My mechanic spent years with renault, out on his own now, so loads of knowledge without the main dealer prices. My car wasn't starting in neutral by just pushing the button, always had before. I had a second hand gearbox at home so whipped the sensor off that and put it in my gearbox, problem solved. Although a few months later I copped I had no reverse lights one night, rang mechanic, he said the second pin on that green sensor was to do with the reverse lights, replaced with a new one and perfect since. That's my story anyway, you problem might not be the same but I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw up my post here. Hope you get sorted.

That is very good to know. Tfromkerry you know what to do :D If it ever happens to me again the lights will be the first thing Ill check. Every days a school day!

• Advertisement

My reverse lights do not work :( . What do this mean so , will i need news switch or what ???

Well if your reverse lights aren't working, together with the starting problem then ya I reckon it's the Green sensor type thing that's at fault. Same faults I've come across with my Laguna last year. It's only bout €40 if I remember correctly.

Well if your reverse lights aren't working, together with the starting problem then ya I reckon it's the Green sensor type thing that's at fault. Same faults I've come across with my Laguna last year. It's only bout €40 if I remember correctly.

Ok and do it need to be changed , and is it easy to do it for someone like me who is not much into car,s :D

Well to be fair the starting problem you could get over, it just means pushing the clutch every time. But no reverse light will be an nct fail whenever your test come round, plus not having the lights makes life a bit more awkward parking at night and the main reason I changed my sensor was others couldn't tell I was about to reverse some times. The main thing with changing it is to jack the passenger side of the car really high because if it's not angled enough gear box oil will come out. Its a simple job otherwise but I think sum of those sensors came with 2 pins, sum with 3, and I cant remember what the 3rd is for. If you jack up the car and look at the gearbox from the front wheel area you'll see the green sensor( its kinda up underneath, hard to explain and I've no picture)And if you pull off the block connector you'll see if your is 2 pin or 3 pin. After that it's just a case of unscrewing the old one(with a spanner to start it off) and screwing in the new one and connecting back up the wiring. Don't make the mistake I did the first time and end up spilling gearbox oil all over the yard!

Thanks bman1 , i think i will leave it for the minute and get someone after xmas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Tfromkerry, is yours the 1.6?

Bman is right. And the only way to determin between the number of pins is to see them physically. The reverse light switch is located under the passenger side driveshaft entry point on the gearbox so things get very messy, very quickly if youre not prepared! Its either a 22 or 24mm head and its up against the subframe so space is a little tight. Id use it as an excuse to empty the gear oil and replace with new stuff tbh. Its made of a very weak metal though so despite the difficulty you may encounter loosening it, putting that effort into tightening it will cost you the switch!

Jesus. wrote: »
    Tfromkerry, is yours the 1.6?

Yea its 1.6 , but i think i will just leave as it is . Sure it still drives away perfect and probably will do for a while .

Well i hope it will , so i will put it out there so <<< will it last for a while :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yea its 1.6 , but i think i will just leave as it is . Sure it still drives away perfect and probably will do for a while .

Well i hope it will , so i will put it out there so <<< will it last for a while :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yep, therell be no damage at all caused by an ineffective switch so no worries there:)

• Advertisement

Yep, therell be no damage at all caused by an ineffective switch so no worries there:)

Perfect as i just want the test and tax to run out before i scrap it , they run up till the end of jan 14 :)

Advertisement