Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry Pi for Dev

Options
  • 06-05-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

OK, So I dodn't need one, but I wanted one. But now I need to find a good use for the raspberry pi. I was thinking a Selenium server for browser automated testing.

But has anyone else got a dev based suggestion ? (i'm all media centred up, so I want to use it for dev (.Net preferably))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Smoggy wrote: »
    so I want to use it for dev (.Net preferably))

Thats a really unfortunate combination then, .net on Pi. You are going to be forced to use mono, personally I'd take this opportunity to learn another more appropriate language for the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

How about as a support server ? Source control etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I've written a couple of small web services for mine as an excuse to learn a bit more Python and Javascript with Node.js

For Node.js, I've compiled some of the C++ based game as modules I've been working on so that it acts as a server for content creation tools independently of the game. The UI for the tools are written in Objective C/Cocoa.

Other than that, it acts an an ssh gateway to my home network and manages an rsync job between my local NAS and remote server running NewzNab, SABnzbd and Sick Beard.

So yeah, they're handy, albeit pretty useless at the same time. In your case, you could make something that runs on the Pi, but then develop a .Net UI for it on your Windows machine.

My experience these days it plugging things together like this is a skill worth having.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

I'm in the same boat as the OP I know I want one and a dev environment sounds like the way I want to go. I have too many media devices and centers!! I saw a great guide for the Pi that centered around a Ruby on Rails deployment. I can't find the link at the moment but a quick google shows me that a lot of people have done it e.g. http://rayhightower.com/blog/2012/12/03/ruby-on-raspberry-pi/

I'm probably going to learn Ruby / RoR in a few months time and this could be one pet project. I like the idea of putting Node.js on it as well. I'v recently moved jobs and moving away from Node.js based JavaScript / CoffeeScript to C++ and Java so want to have some pet projects just to keep the skillset up. When I do get around to buying one that might be my first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I've have a monitor connected to raspberry pi sitting up high on my desk that everyone can see. All it shows is a dashboard with status of different builds, test results, server availability, etc. Works perfect for that, dashboard is implemented using the Dashing framework.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

jester77 wrote: »
    I've have a monitor connected to raspberry pi sitting up high on my desk that everyone can see. All it shows is a dashboard with status of different builds, test results, server availability, etc. Works perfect for that, dashboard is implemented using the Dashing framework.

Nice framework, I can definitely find uses for that. Thanks

Advertisement