Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game of Thrones [HBO & Sky Atlantic] **Spoilers** (Read Warning Post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 miniPhil

Loved the last episode. Ned's a swell guy and all but I'd hate to be one of his bodyguards. They tend to die a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

My LOTR refrenced post got axed :(
    I wonder if Renly is dead?.....and was LIttlefinger working with the Lannisters all along?

I think he left the city with as many followers as he could find. Although im not great with character names so that could be wrong.

Is it just me or does it seem like Jon and the entire wall are being wasted. I would have hoped for a parallel story with the white walkers but nothing of any note whatsoever so far. Im starting to thing that things are just going to explode in the next few episodes with a major cliffhanger for the next series because it seems like theres a lot of threads to tie up in a relatively short space of remaining time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 miniPhil

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Is it just me or does it seem like Jon and the entire wall are being wasted.
    I think we're going to see a lot more of them now with the hand that they found. Personally I'm way more interested in Renly. Before it seemed impossible for him to get the thrones but now he is second in line after his brother. Also once his brother discovers the truth thanks to Neds letter there has to be a war. Renly is looking like a big time contender for the throne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Ya, have to agree with that, we seem to heading towards one massive cliffhanger of a season finale.

Best getting reading the books. Give Mr E a major headache then next year. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

anoter great episode, great to see were building to something great,

it looks like the white walkers are moving closer to the wall, the lanisters are ready to go to war over tyrion (whos already free:D), the dothraki are gonna be sailing on there wooden horses soon, stark has a knife to his throat and we have a spoiled inbread little sh1t on the throne,

stark should have just walked away, his honour does seem to get the best of him to often,

im looking more forward to reading the book when the series ends and then rewatching season 1, i dunno if ill move straight to the second book, id say id enjoy watching the show not knowing what gonna happen, and then fill in the blanks by reading each book after there respective seasons,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hey, my pithy response disappeared too. It wasn't spoiler'y, it was pithy damnit. Pithy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I will relent and not give anymore information from the books whatsoever. It was from stuff that already happened on the tv show and what the presenters really meant you to know from the tv show without a doubt. Regardless, that is a judgement on my behalf, so I won't anymore. I did think that everything that had happened in the books was able to be told, but on reflection I can see why that logic may be objectionable also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I will relent and not give anymore information from the books whatsoever. It was from stuff that already happened on the tv show and what the presenters really meant you to know from the tv show without a doubt. Regardless, that is a judgement on my behalf, so I won't anymore. I did think that everything that had happened in the books was able to be told, but on reflection I can see why that logic may be objectionable also.

I've read the books and watched the show and guess what I disagree with you. I'd go along the lines that the pardon was offered at this stage for his previous services of spying. As he's now got his pardon he realises that something must have been decided and he's no longer needed as spy. That's why he's on his guard and figures out the wine merchant.

I think D&D were putting this across in the show. Doesn't matter what happened in the books. This is the tv show. There 'will' be changes. Get used to that and stop trying to sound all high and mighty because you've read the books and picked up another understanding.

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Im starting to thing that things are just going to explode in the next few episodes with a major cliffhanger for the next series because it seems like theres a lot of threads to tie up in a relatively short space of remaining time.

You know there's 4 books, soon 5 and eventually more right???:D

It's not going to be all tied up by season end. There won't be some new 'big bad' each season.

3 episodes left. GF(Non-reader) definitely fully hooked after these last 2 episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

s.welstead wrote: »
    You know there's 4 books, soon 5 and eventually more right???:D

It's not going to be all tied up by season end. There won't be some new 'big bad' each season.

3 episodes left. GF(Non-reader) definitely fully hooked after these last 2 episodes.

And I doubt they will be able to fit all of some of the later books into one season, the third book was published in two parts and Dance will be nearly as long.

Can't wait for the next episode now, I regret watching episode 7 last week instead of waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

pljudge321 wrote: »
    And I doubt they will be able to fit all of some of the later books into one season, the third book was published in two parts and Dance will be nearly as long.

Can't wait for the next episode now, I regret watching episode 7 last week instead of waiting.
    I'm sure they don't have to limit each season to ten episodes either.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Degag wrote: »

Or they could just skip this ridiculous idea of seasons and keep going on and on and on and on... :pac:

Degag wrote: »

I imagine 12 episodes for season 2, they could have done with more breathing space this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

Excellent episode except for the brothel scene. That just seemed 'strange' to say the least. Oh well it got the nudity quota in.:cool:

Been surprised by Jason Momoa's acting chops. Who would have though Ronin was up to bringing Drogo to life.

Also about bloody time one of the Direwolves showed up!!! FFS get working on CGI for next season as it's obvious the trainers were not up to the task. CGI wolves is better than none.

Was I the only one who thought he looked like he was doing the Haka in that scene where he said they'd invade Kings Landing? I liked it but I thought it was almost move for move the Kamate Haka the All Blacks do before matches.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

pljudge321 wrote: »
    I imagine 12 episodes for season 2, they could have done with more breathing space this season.

Wasn't it moved to 10 from 12 due to budget cuts? If so, then hopefully the success of season 1 will allow a slightly more expansive budget next season and we will get 12 episodes.

5starpool wrote: »
    Wasn't it moved to 10 from 12 due to budget cuts? If so, then hopefully the success of season 1 will allow a slightly more expansive budget next season and we will get 12 episodes.

Think it's pretty much one of the most expensive tv series to date. I don't think I heard anything about budget cuts. Plan was always for 10 epsiodes but everyone just assumed it would be 12 for some reason.

Any extra budget for season 2 needs to go on some CGI. Dothraki hoarde my arse, looks like about 50 people.

JonnyF wrote: »
    Was I the only one who thought he looked like he was doing the Haka in that scene where he said they'd invade Kings Landing? I liked it but I thought it was almost move for move the Kamate Haka the All Blacks do before matches.

Well he is a Kiwi! Think I remember an interview with him where he said he went for an audition and just did the Haka. Think it might have been for Conan.

Edit: He's not a Kiwi, always just assumed that for some reason. He's Hawaiian! :)

Actually just googled it, he did it for both Conan and GoT. So they obviously planned the war cry speech with that in mind.
    http://www.staradvertiser.com/features/featuresstories/20110415_momoa_won_conan_role_by_performing_a_haka_for_hbo.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Think it's pretty much one of the most expensive tv series to date. I don't think I heard anything about budget cuts. Plan was always for 10 epsiodes but everyone just assumed it would be 12 for some reason.
    "Rome", from figures posted here, was considerably more expensive. I think "Boardwalk Empire" was too. It's dear but there's even worse on the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Been watching this too and enjoying it a lot.

Just have a couple of questions; Why was John (?) sent to the wall when he's not a criminal?

And when will season 2 be aired?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Medu

Cianos wrote: »

Just have a couple of questions; Why was John (?) sent to the wall when he's not a criminal?

Jon Snow wasn't sent to the wall, he wanted to go.

• Advertisement

Give them a chance to film it! They've only just begun casting some of the new roles for season 2.

I'd say they'll keep it in the same place in the schedule as the current run. So April 2012.

Give them a chance to film it! They've only just begun casting some of the new roles for season 2.

I'd say they'll keep it in the same place in the schedule as the current run. So April 2012.

Really? :( Didn't think it'd only be 7 episodes long, I came online to find number 8 and suspected it could be finished when it was nowhere to be found!

Almost a year to wait so, that sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This season is 10 episodes. Still 3 to go.
    Nobody knows how long season 2 will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Really? :( Didn't think it'd only be 7 episodes long, I came online to find number 8 and suspected it could be finished when it was nowhere to be found!

The first season is 10 episodes long. Episode 7 just aired. Perhaps you're confused because a preview of episode 7 was made available last week, so if you saw episode 7 a week in advance there was no new episode this week.

Why would you expect less than a year between seasons?

Ah ok, what's probably confusing is that this is one of the first major US tv shows we're getting pretty much in synch with the US. So no chance of popping online to pick up the next episode as it hasn't aired anywhere yet.

As mentioned already 3 more episodes. Next one up is "The Pointy End"
    This is the one episode that was written by the author.

Ah right, I thought last week was ep 6+7 and this week would be ep 8 rather than there being a gap week - I thought it was odd to have only 7 episodes in a season and to end on such a note.

Try waiting for the books. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Ah ok, what's probably confusing is that this is one of the first major US tv shows we're getting pretty much in synch with the US. So no chance of popping online to pick up the next episode as it hasn't aired anywhere yet.

As mentioned already 3 more episodes. Next one up is "The Pointy End"
    This is the one episode that was written by the author.

Lest people misunderstand this: Martin is credited as being a producer and was heavily involved in the casting (right now he is casting season 2 according to his not a blog). Martin has worked on fantasy tv shows before, so it's not like he's just starting out at it.

I do not know if Martin had his hand in other scripts, but I could see him editing some lines afterwards, adding bits here and there or something. Writing a script from scratch would be far harder and more complicated.

Personally I don't look at teasers as a rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

He went to the wall willingly, as a 'bastard' he felt ostracised amongst his family in Winterfell and particularly by Catelyn. The Wall and Night's Watch is supposed to be a refuge for outcasts, rather then just criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

Lest people misunderstand this: Martin is credited as being a producer and was heavily involved in the casting (right now he is casting season 2 according to his not a blog). Martin has worked on fantasy tv shows before, so it's not like he's just starting out at it.

I do not know if Martin had his hand in other scripts, but I could see him editing some lines afterwards, adding bits here and there or something. Writing a script from scratch would be far harder and more complicated.

Personally I don't look at teasers as a rule.

Hello again..
    Good Bye again..
    Hello again..

Small bit indecisive as a rule more likely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

After about 15 minutes into the latest episode (Ep. 7) I turned it off. It's just so ****ing bland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Dermighty wrote: »
    After about 15 minutes into the latest episode (Ep. 7) I turned it off. It's just so ****ing bland!

:eek: GTFO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Really? I just got round to watching Ep. 7 last night, and I have to say I think it's really heating up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Are you trolling us good sir , your telling me you struggled through 6 episodes of the show before deciding it was to bland for you just as the s**t hits the fan ?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Damn my need for instant gratification

Wish I watched episode Seven this week

Two weeks is too long to wait

I'm a third of the way through the book, flying along

If you're not a fan and that's cool but wouldn't you quit after two or three episodes. Who watches seven and then leaves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SuiteCheex

That's actually a thought I had right from the start and can't shake it. Even that he was so uncomfortable about talking about it to Robert, his best friend has me thinking it's hard to believe he sired a bastard. But again could his "honour" allow him to tell Jon Snow "You may not have my name, but you have my blood" if he didn't really mean it?

This ties in to what my GF said after we watched Ep. 7 last night.

Bearing in mind I'm the nerd who's been watching GoT avidly and have read this forum amongst other things to familiarise myself with the characters etc (if you read between the lines this means I haven't read the books)

Then my GF (whilst filing her nails) comes out with...

"Why are they giving this Jon Snow fella more airtime than Ned's real kids? I bet he isn't really Ned's kid anyway, Ned's to much of a goody two-shoes to cheat on his wife. I bet you Jon is really the King's son which he had with Ned's sister and that's why Ned's looking after him."

And then off she went to make a cup of tea while I sat there gobsmacked. I wouldn't have come up with that idea if you paid me!!

SuiteCheex wrote: »
    "Why are they giving this Jon Snow fella more airtime than Ned's real kids? I bet he isn't really Ned's kid anyway, Ned's to much of a goody two-shoes to cheat on his wife. I bet you Jon is really the King's son which he had with Ned's sister and that's why Ned's looking after him."

:eek:

Sounds totally plausible, but what a secret for Ned to keep all these years.

But if its true, Robert didn't even know, recall the conversation in episode 2 where Robert asked Ned about Jon's mother, and he wouldn't speak of her.

A worse possibility could be that Jon is someone else's son, I dare not say it here, in case I get flamed, but do you recall who took Ned's sister?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

This ties in to what my GF said after we watched Ep. 7 last night.

Bearing in mind I'm the nerd who's been watching GoT avidly and have read this forum amongst other things to familiarise myself with the characters etc (if you read between the lines this means I haven't read the books)

Then my GF (whilst filing her nails) comes out with...

And then off she went to make a cup of tea while I sat there gobsmacked. I wouldn't have come up with that idea if you paid me!!
    I read an even darker theory about his lineage on another forum. The poster swears they haven't read the books and that it isn't a spoiler but I have my doubts so I won't repeat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SuiteCheex

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    But if its true, Robert didn't even know, recall the conversation in episode 2 where Robert asked Ned about Jon's mother, and he wouldn't speak of her.

Robert was always talking about the good old days when he was off fighting in battles. So Jon could be the result of a last hurrah between King Bob and Ned's sis before Bob went off to bash some skulls in. He could easily have been away for months/years and would've been none the wiser of Jon's existence.
    Mr Freeze wrote: »
    A worse possibility could be that Jon is someone else's son, I dare not say it here, in case I get flamed, but do you recall who took Ned's sister?

If I'm not mistaken it was a
    Targaryen
    of some description, wasn't it? If that's the case then
    Jon has a distinct lack of blond hair

Dunno why I'm putting these spoiler tags on as I'm only guessing myself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

If I'm not mistaken it was a
    Targaryen
    of some description, wasn't it? If that's the case then
    Jon has a distinct lack of blond hair

Dunno why I'm putting these spoiler tags on as I'm only guessing myself :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing so you saved me the hassle of having to put in spoiler tags myself :D

• Advertisement

I really hope that Jon's lineage turns out to be Roberts or Neds, cause the other possibility is just cruel to even think of.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Mr E wrote: »
    Most people here haven't read the book.
    Please use this thread in the sci-fi forum if you want to talk about the book.

Nobody here wants to talk about the book.

Why is this so hard to understand? :confused:

Shocking that a poster who has given out so much about spoiler in this thread doesn't seem to realise it is about the TV series NOT the books.

In relation to the Robert/Lyanna thing, were they ever together or were they just betrothed? Ned in the first 2 episodes seems to wish 'Robert would get over his fixation with me sister'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Waaaa?.....ooh!, DRAMA!!!!!!!!!!!

Orizio wrote: »
    He went to the wall willingly, as a 'bastard' he felt ostracised amongst his family in Winterfell and particularly by Catelyn. The Wall and Night's Watch is supposed to be a refuge for outcasts, rather then just criminals.

This is what I didn't get really - it's not like his relationship with the family that took him in was difficult - there seems to be an acute awareness that he isn't of true lineage but other than that he seems quite accepted? His rapport with Ned seems solid enough anyway which would suggest that others would hold respect for him as well. Even being the son of Ned and being able handed in combat should grant him respect amongst the kingdom, bastard or not. So his desire to go to the wall for reasons of feeling like an outcast seems a bit stretched imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

its pretty much impossible to get the characters motivations and inner thoughts that were in the books into the tv series. that's all i'll say on the matter so I don't draw the wrath of non book spoilery people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

So his desire to go to the wall for reasons of feeling like an outcast seems a bit stretched imo.

He did have one other strong motivation - to follow in the footsteps of his Uncle Benjen who he seemed to have a very good relationship with. Also, perhaps Jon knew in his heart and soul that he would never truly belong with the Starks and some innate curiosity about The Wall or 'calling' got the better of him.

Not sure how Benjen ended up at The Wall in the first place though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I think "The Wall" and taking the Black are seen as a way by many of gaining or regaining honour. Although many are sent there as punishment rather than take more extreme or finite punishments, to voluntarily go to protect the 7 kingdoms would be seen as a brave and honourable thing to do.

For most it's either that or prison/death, quite an easy choice since most have no idea what's waiting for them.

Jon and Sam are about the only ones who are doing it for other reasons.

Don't they commit to a life of solitude and abstinence and commitment to guarding the wall for as long as they live? If Jon wanted to gain some respect and honour it would seem a bit wasted if he's to just live out his days at the wall and nothing else, especially when he had a good family who he got on with.

To guard the Wall is seen as vital to the survival of the Seven Kingdoms (Which it really is, by the way).

Yes, they lead a life of abstinence and solitude, but Men of the Night Watch, even though they were rapists, murderers, thieves,... in a previous life are in general treated with respect by those they guard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement