Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about my 10 week old Miniature Jack Russell

Options
  • 16-12-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Well basically Ive had her for a week, and yesterday she had diarrhea with blood in it. She still hasn't stopped and this is from yesterday morning. I'm very worried about the blood so I'm just asking is this common in young pups that have been taken away from familiar surrounding? Shes not scared at all and her behavior hasn't changed since we got her, shes still eating, drinking, playing and sleeping. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Take her to the vet asap. Blood in the stools should always be investigated. Where did you get her from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Vet immediately!

As she's still so alert then hopefully it's not Parvo but you really need to get her seen as soon as you possibly can. Young pups can go downhill very very quickly. Where is she at with her vaccinations?

It could be something as simple as a change in food but you really shouldn't wait any longer. Stop reading and go ring your vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Your pup needs to see a vet asap. Bloody poo is not a good sign in pups - it could be anything from a minor upset to a major infection so you need to see a vet to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Yunnie

She has had 2 vaccinations, well thats what the man we bought her off told us and he told us to take her for her 12 week vaccinations 2 weeks from the week we bought her. We got her off a buy and sell site, shes still so lively and if not for the blood and diarrhea you wouldn't think theres anything wrong.

Like I said they can go down very quickly, please have her seen right away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Yunnie wrote: »
    She has had 2 vaccinations, well thats what the man we bought her off told us and he told us to take her for her 12 week vaccinations 2 weeks from the week we bought her. We got her off a buy and sell site, shes still so lively and if not for the blood and diarrhea you wouldn't think theres anything wrong.

Did he just tell you that, or did he give you a vaccination card with stickers on and a vets signature or stamp? If you don't have one of those, you'll have to start her from the beginning again, as theres no proof that she's been done at all.

Yeh I'll take her, thanks for the advice.

Unless you got a vaccination card which is stamped and signed by a vet then I wouldn't believe him. Sadly this is what can happy when you buy dogs off done deal. Please get to the vet this morning, if not sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

+1 with the above posters, vets straight away. hopefully as said not parvo but better to check. have you wormed pup. sometimes i was told that the worming tablets disolves the worms and comes out as red jellish stuff.

No we didn't get anything, my boyfriend drove out to meet him, the man opened his boot and asked him which one he wanted. He gave him some advice on looking after puppies and told him about her vaccinations and when she needed her next one. We paid 150€ for her, but my bf didn't agree with the price and asked him if he could lower it but the guy said no he couldn't because he wanted to make a profit after paying for the vaccinations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

That man sounds like a total monster... :(

Edit: I hope your puppy is alright OP, please let us know what the vet says.

Do people still do things like that? Honestly, that ticks every box for what not to do when you buy a pup.

OP I'm not having a go as you certainly won't be the last but you've more than likely just bought a puppy-farm pup with no vaccinations so it's even now more important that you have her seen by a vet immediately.

Yeh i think its urgent now that i do take her to the vet. I didn't think about her being a farm pup, its unsettling to think that she could be. Ill be taking her this afternoon to the vet as I'm in class, so Ill post how she is doing later.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

Have you made appointment with the vet yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

No we didn't get anything, my boyfriend drove out to meet him, the man opened his boot and asked him which one he wanted. He gave him some advice on looking after puppies and told him about her vaccinations and when she needed her next one. We paid 150€ for her, but my bf didn't agree with the price and asked him if he could lower it but the guy said no he couldn't because he wanted to make a profit after paying for the vaccinations.

Sounds like the guy is running a pup farm or is it just me?

Doubt the pup is vaccinated to be honest, unless you saw papers to that effect. Then again it could be bad to get the pup vaccinated a second time by mistake! Either way get to a vet and explain scenario - worth the money if you want the pup to stay healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Ticks off all the boxes for a puppy farmer Im afraid. :(

Until he is brought to a vet the best thing you can do is keep him hydrated, if it is indeed parvo it's the symptoms that kill pups, they get severe diarrhoea which quickly dehydrates them. So keep encouraging him to drink loads of water.

Keep him away from other dogs too, carry him when outside and when booking the appointment tell them he has bloody diarrhoea as they may not want him coming into the main consultation room and possibly infecting other dogs. Parvo is highly contagious and can live in the environment for up to 2 years infecting other dogs so it's important he has no contact with other dogs and you don't bring him to places with other dogs until he has seen a vet.

I'm quite worried now because i have a 2 year old King Charles Cavalier, if it is parvo can he still contract it even after being vaccinated when he was a pup?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I'm quite worried now because i have a 2 year old King Charles Cavalier, if it is parvo can he still contract it even after being vaccinated when he was a pup?

Yes they can. Did he not get his booster shot a year later? Have you brought the pup to the vet yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

The vaccine only covers the most common strains of parvo so yes, your other dog could catch it. A healthy 2 year old dog who contracts parvo has far better chances than a pup so I wouldn't worry too much about the cav just yet. As one of the previous posters said, it's the dehydration etc that kills not that virus itself so management of symptoms is very important.

A trip to the vet for a proper diagnosis is very important, even if it's just to rule out parvo. One of my dogs spent a couple of nights in the vets recently with coronavirus which has very similar symptoms to parvo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I'm not really sure you have grasped the urgency of this. Your puppy needs to be brought to the vet immediately. If this is parvo virus your pup could die. Blood in stools is the most common symptom of parvo virus, also does it have a very pungent distinctive smell?

• Advertisement

I understand fully how urgent this is, Ive felt sick all day thinking about her but theres nothing i can do at the minute as I'm in class. Theres no smell off the diarrhea at all which is quite weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP they go downhill so amazing rapidly. You need to say you have a "family emergency" and leave now. Our boy got sick one morning, and by midday was minutes from death. You need to get her to the vet now.

How you could leave a pup with blood in her stool overnight without going to the vet is beyond me. Nevermind then go about your day hoping for the best when you get home. :( Even in the middle of the night the best thing to have done would be call the emergency vet in your area. If it's parvo every second second counts. I'm not being dramatic, it really is a matter of the difference between life and death being determined by a few minutes.

Sounds like a very bad seller you got her from. Unfortunately people still buy from these sellers due to a lack of proper research.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I understand fully how urgent this is, Ive felt sick all day thinking about her but theres nothing i can do at the minute as I'm in class. Theres no smell off the diarrhea at all which is quite weird.

Are you in school or college? If its college then leave unless you have an exam. You can get the notes off a mate again.

This is far more urgent.

Is there no1 at home that can take the pup in?

From the boot of a car? And he wanted 150 euro?? Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Get up and leave ASAP. The puppy is very, very sick. I don't wish to scare you, but would you like to see her dead when you go home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I hope that the pup will be alright, and that you've got her to the vet.

If you didn't get your other dog's booster done at 1 year, then you're going to need to start their vaccinations from the beginning again as well. There is a school of thought that dogs don't need annual boosters, but they do need the initial vaccinations and their first boosters at 1 year of age, after that, it may be okay to be leave them for 2 years between boosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Let us know how the puppy goes at the vet and the very best of luck. Lets hope it's not much wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

OP this happened to my pup when I had her only a few days, I don't know if it was the change in environment or what happened but she had an antibiotic injection, and the vet gave us Canikur: it's a pro biotic in a syringe and I gave her a wee bit 3 times a day I think it was (or twice) can't fully remember. We put her on Hills food for upset tummy (wet food) for a week and then weened her back to dry food. Hopefully it's just a bug or something like what my pup had.

She was bought with papers, vaccination cards and from a reputable breeder - so it can happen to any pup.

I know what it's like to be terrified when your pup is ill and other posters, you are all so quick to talk about death and parvo. Yes it's possible but I think she is upset enough without having to scare her like that...

I really hope your pup is ok, I have my fingers and toes crossed for you X

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

other posters, you are all so quick to talk about death and parvo. Yes it's possible but I think she is upset enough without having to scare her like that...

Just pointing out that it could be very serious especially with such a young pup. Better to be safe than sorry IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I know what it's like to be terrified when your pup is ill and other posters, you are all so quick to talk about death and parvo. Yes it's possible but I think she is upset enough without having to scare her like that...

I really hope your pup is ok, I have my fingers and toes crossed for you X

We're all here for the concern of the pup who has a serious condition while her owners are in a classroom/working.

A happy ending would be nice!

Advertisement