Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acne free in 3 days

Options
  • 01-04-2007 3:55pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Isnt that impossible doesnt it take about a month for the skin to fully rejuvenate, ive recently had a breakout and thought i'd search for helpful tips, i came across this site which sells an ebook claiming to contain methods to clear acne in 3 days

the first example:

transition.jpg

wouldnt it be a much more believeable scam if it said results in a few weeks :rolleyes:

Anyway, anyone know any proven tips to help clear up skin?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Tea tree oil?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

bluewolf wrote:
    Tea tree oil?

i actually picked up some but im not sure how much it needs to be diluted, i did add about 5/6 drops to a basin of hot water and steamed my face for a few minutes.

its smells horrible

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You can dab some on neat onto your face where it's needed. Just don't do it daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Would have thought dabbing it on with cotton wool would be the best way of using it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Clearasil stuff says on the front of the bottle "visibly clearer skin in just three days". I bought a bottle of their Deep Pore Treatment Wash but it's terrible. All it does is dry out your skin and guess what, spots are still visible. Moral of the story...don't believe advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Yeah that clearsil stuff is really strong, my face was really sore and tight after using it

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

I normally only get the odd spot on my face so I use the clean & clear treatment gel - it does actually work on me & reduces the spots.

That said, I've been using their anti-blackhead cleanser to try & clear my pores & it doesn't do with it promises.:rolleyes:
    Does anyone know a good cleanser to clear blackheads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

I went to the doctor i wasnt that bad Gave me a prescription to ERYTHROCIN tabs cleared up after a week been great since Realy recemend them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Quinoderm - available over the counter, I swear by the stuff.

I don't have acne or anything. I still get the odd spot and this stuff works amazingly well. Doesn't comtain any alcohol so it doesn't dry your skin that much.

Also, use a decent anti bacterial soap, no need to shell out for fancy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,791 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Good chance it's your diet. Drink loads of water and don't be eating bad sugary foods. Eat plenty of fruit and veg!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

i have amazing stuff for clearing up acne!

i got a terribe outbreak about a month ago and started to use this Plasma gel at night, it has alls orts of seaweed etc in it and smelled quite rank, all the smaller spots were cleared up within a week to a week and a half and now there's none left at all!

i don't believe that any of those products that claim to clear spots in a matter of days actually work unless the spot was about to heal anyway with a few days!!

What's it called malteaser? Sounds like it comes from a health shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

it's like the mask that they put on during this Thalgo seaweed facial, afaik you can't buy it anywhere! my mum uses it in work so she brought it home for me when i got that outbreak and i've been using it every secind day since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

Coconut oil!! Nothing better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

tbh there are so so many things out there you can try to help clear up your skin, its a case of trial and error realy. go on to the messages boards at acne.org to see some of it, every conceivable method you could think of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Sudocrem, cold pressed unrefined sesamie oil and coconut oil always work for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Carolynn

Hi Slade,

I had problems with my skin from my mid teens and I tried everything! I started taking one Evening Primrose Oil tablet and one Zinc tablet a day. I also bought a cream called PanOxyl. It's available in 2 strengths - 5 and 10. It really dries the skin so it should only be used on the affected area. After a couple of months of this routine my face improved, and now I only suffer the odd blemish. I'm not sure which actually worked or whether it was a combination but I was delighted with the results!

Carolynn

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

cormie wrote:
    Good chance it's your diet. Drink loads of water and don't be eating bad sugary foods. Eat plenty of fruit and veg!
    Diet has very little effect on actual acne. Nor does hygiene

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭meanpeoplesuck

I'd just like to warn you about Accutane. I tried a few different medicines for my acne (all through a doctor) and eventually ended up on Accutane to try and get rid of it once and for all. I'm pretty sure it's the strongest medicine out there for acne. It worked really well, but has so many bad side effects I'd tell you to never take it.

During use, your eyes dry up so your eye lids are like sandpaper, your lips shrivel up, inside your nose goes dry, basically your entire body gets the moisture sucked out of it. This is how these specific tablets work. The problem for me now is that 12 months after treatment I still suffer from extremely dry eyes and lips, a side effect which may well be permanent which is a risk I was not aware of when starting the treatment. Some people can suffer serious depression as a result of it, and it's just not worth it.
    Just a heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Im a lucky git in that i never had acne, used to get teenage spots and i hated them so i feel your pain.

I haven't read this book, but if you are thinking of getting it, pm me, I can give you a sort of review..

just pm me.. :P

• Advertisement

:| wrote:
    Diet has very little effect on actual acne. Nor does hygiene

Quoted from here:
    # No scientific research has shown that certain foods can cause acne, but if you notice that spots increase after you eat certain things, it makes sense to avoid them.

# Choose a sensible, varied diet, drink lots of water and exercise regularly. If you feel good, your skin will feel good too

I definitely noticed my skin worsen after certain foods so it shouldn't be ruled out. Anyway, a better diet has much more advantages than just better skin:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

During use, your eyes dry up so your eye lids are like sandpaper, your lips shrivel up, inside your nose goes dry, basically your entire body gets the moisture sucked out of it. This is how these specific tablets work. The problem for me now is that 12 months after treatment I still suffer from extremely dry eyes and lips, a side effect which may well be permanent which is a risk I was not aware of when starting the treatment. Some people can suffer serious depression as a result of it, and it's just not worth it.
    Just a heads up!
    I just came off roacctutane and while it did do they job perfectly (well after an extended course that is) but as above felt alot of the side effects . But I have been off it now for about 2-3 weeks and nearly all the side effects have left me , it seems to be unfortunate what happened to you but perhaps it can take longer to leave certain people , i know it took longer than normal to start working on me . But yes the dryness is definately a problem through out the course and you need a tube of vaseline with you everywhere (easy now) and it can be a real drag. As for the depression side , yes i felt it , it drags the life out of you and really can depress you but so long as you can keep the sanity to know in your head that it is just the medication then you should pull through. You should only go on a course of this stuff if you have someone who cares about you close to you constantly eg at home. And you have to have blood tests every month on it too and the list goes on but I still would recommend it because it leaves your skin perfect . period. But if your think your not up to it , chances are your acne will clear with time , only 5% of acne suffers carry it into adulthood but I had it for 8 years without relent and i had had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Diet has very little effect on actual acne.

Wrong. IGF (insulin-like growth factor) is implicated in an increase of DHEA (and hence skin oiliness). As expected, IGF is affected by diet - dairy products and sugar, mainly. Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Ok i gave the book a quick glance and the gist of it seems to be.
    For 3 days, drink tons of water, eat only peeled apples all day, and get a colonic each night.

Theres more I think, pm me for more *details*

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Pet wrote:
    Wrong. IGF (insulin-like growth factor) is implicated in an increase of DHEA (and hence skin oiliness). As expected, IGF is affected by diet - dairy products and sugar, mainly. Google it.
    I've read this before, but all doctors I've seen since have said this is just a myth. I'm not gonna risk osteoporosis anyway, so I'll continue to eat dairy, but like someone else said a good diet is important for more things than just acne so it may be worth a try.

:| wrote:
    I've read this before, but all doctors I've seen since have said this is just a myth. I'm not gonna risk osteoporosis anyway, so I'll continue to eat dairy, but like someone else said a good diet is important for more things than just acne so it may be worth a try.

I went to a dermatologist before who said Diet didn't effect it, he was trying to get me on roacatine. I didn't take his advice and just improved my diet and my face cleared up dramatically. In fact now, there are no signs I had spots before even though I could never leave them alone. I only have one scar. Out of all the hundreds of spots I had over the years, that's pretty good which also leads me to believe when they say if you burst them, they leave scars, is not the case for all people either. By the way, my GP said diet DOES have an effect on SOME people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

My dermo (mad) said diet doesn't effect it either. Netiher does drinking a lot of water. He wasn't trying to put me on roacatine though. Two sides to every coin I suppose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Hmmm, apparently one of the contraceptive pills is good for the skin. May have some side-effects for the lads though. Side effects like knowing what the colour indigo looks like, shopping, lactating and going to doctors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Nehpets wrote:
    My dermo (mad) said diet doesn't effect it either. Netiher does drinking a lot of water. He wasn't trying to put me on roacatine though. Two sides to every coin I suppose.
    Are you sure he didn't say that it doesn't cause it? Food and water intake cannot cause acne, but depending on the type of acne, they can almost certainly aggravate the condition i.e. effect it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement