Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Basic Binding a datasource to a comboBox

Options
  • 07-05-2013 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭

I've got a silly question with regards to Visual Basic Express 2010

Basically I'm attempting to bind a datasource to a comboBox in a Dialog attached to a MainForm.

If I were to do it to a textBox it works perfectly:
    Dim aBinding As Binding
    aBinding = New Binding("Text", MainForm.theBindingSource, "Style")
    aTextBox.DataBindings.Add(aBinding)
    genderComboBox.selectedIndex = 0

This works perfectly. aTextBox gets populated with the first entry in the table "Style" from MainForm.theBindingSource. Also genderComboBox is set correctly.

However when I attempt to do this with a combobox:
    aBinding = New Binding("Text", MainForm.theBindingSource, "Style")
    aComboBox.DataBindings.Add(aBinding)
    genderComboBox.selectedIndex = 0

The comboBox remains unpopulated. The genderComboBox is correctly set.

I assume this is due to the "Text" property not being correct for the ComboBox however if I tried it with "Items" it didn't work either and genderComboBox doesn't get set either. I'm stumped.

I'm sure that there is a very easy answer to this question but I've been banging my head against a wall for a while now. This is for an assignment in case anyone was wondering and whether that changes how much you wish to tell me.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Combobox has 2 columns, the first one containing the ID is usually hidden. So your binding needs to have 2 fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

Cheers will give it a go :)

Advertisement