Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daredevil!!!!!!

• 13-02-2003 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭

for anyone that liked the first Batman, as in Micheal Keaton, you will love this! it is comic superhero at its best! every film like this needs a good baddy, and good Lord does Colin Farrell fulfill the role! serious ass kicking goodness!

im gonna go as far as to say it beat last year's super hero event! DareDevil way outdoes Spiderman!

enjoy! i certainly did!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Heard a very positive review from a comic fan which is alwys good. If the fanboys are happy its got to be good.

:)

oh and fangirls too of course ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Ixidor

I dunno... it's been proven in the past that comic book hero's should remain in the comics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by aine
    for anyone that liked the first Batman, as in Micheal Keaton, you will love this! it is comic superhero at its best! every film like this needs a good baddy, and good Lord does Colin Farrell fulfill the role! serious ass kicking goodness!

im gonna go as far as to say it beat last year's super hero event! DareDevil way outdoes Spiderman!

enjoy! i certainly did!

will go see it today...p.s love your avitar :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Saw it last night. Wasn't veey impressive. Electra was cool in it. Kingpin could have been so much better. I'd like to see the same guy in the Spiderman though if they were going to have a kingpin, he has the size for it.

Affleck is cool and charming as the lawyer but I just didn't like his superhero suit. The whole superpowers bit was well done though but the story was weak enough.

The action could have been better too but maybe I'm expecting too much for a 12s film.

Colin Farrell was great in it though. It was cool that he could use his Irish Accent in it too. Theres a priest in it too that I'm sure was joey "the lips" in the Commitments. Bullseye was done to perfection by Farrell, very over the top.

All in all I wouldn't compare it to Tim Burtons Batman films as it wasn't nearly as dark or stylish.

Bring on a film version of The Watchmen, that'd be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Gerry

This film is a crock of ****. I was never a reader of marvel comics, so I didn't know the storyline before I went in, I presume it is reasonably faithful to the comic. Ben Affleck should have avoid this type of film if he wants to be taken seriously, this will certainly do nothing for him. The script sucks, its got a little bit of humour in it, but most of the rest lacks any imagination. The acting, particularly Mr Affleck was atrocious, to use a cliche "wooden". Colin Farrell was the only thing that promised to save this film, but he only has a small part in it. Basically I spent most of my time laughing at how bad this film was. ( I did enjoy spiderman though ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'm a sucker for blockbuster movies that dare to be a little bit darker or more subversive than you expect, and I have to say that I loved Daredevil for exactly this reason. It laid the imagery and the "badthink" on thick and fast, never shying away from the real nature of the comic books it's based on (like later Batman films did, for example).

I didn't like it as much as Spiderman; it just wasn't as slick or as polished. But it's clever, the dialogue crackles in places, the special effects are good and the visual feel of the film - and unflinching willingness to show things that Aren't Very Nice - is superb.

Overall though, it sold itself on the premise, just as the comic books did. A superhero who's scarred and vulnerable, who gulps down painkillers like candy and sleeps in an isolation tank to keep out the curse of his "superpower"; a superhero who makes horrible mistakes and pays for them. That's an interesting concept, and it's what makes this film so interesting.

And yes, Colin Farrell is excellent, as is Michael Clarke Duncan. Really looking forward to seeing Farrell headline in The Recruit, which there was a trailer for just before Daredevil...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I quite liked it, but it fell short of excellent for me.

Afleck was surprisngly good as DareDevil, he was a dead ringer for Matt Murdock. I thought Elektra was terrible - quite removed from her comic incarnation. Kingpin and Bullseye were both great, though neither got much screen-time.

After the success of the 'brighter' Spiderman and X-men films, I applaud them for trying to capture the darkness of the daredevil comics.

PS. Did anyone spot the amount of cameos and name-drops? I spotted Stan Lee, Kevin Smith and Frank Miller, and wasn't one of the prize-fighters called Bendis? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Oh absolutely, but then is anything brighter than the last two Batman films?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

I liked it. Was a lot darker and more interesting than spiderman.

I hadnt read anything about it before going to see it so
    elektra's death
    really surprised me - didnt expect that in a marvel film :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

looks the part in places, individual scenes are gorgeous but they just don’t stitch together. affleck is too po-faced and serious, garner has nothing to do and farrell and duncan seem to be the only ones enjoying themselves (farrell has the dirrtiest dublin accent i’ve heard on screen in ages – i loved it).

can’t quite buy the notion of listening to house of pain in an english pub though – well, maybe an oirish pub in kilburn, but the one in the film looked like an english pub (certainly you don’t expect to find paddy-baiting english twats in oirish pubs). apart from that one song, the rest of the music in the film was terrible.

the action scenes didn’t rock me. too many masturbating ‘practice’ scenes and not enough real violence – and even the real violence was edited to distraction. and the cgi – good god, could it have looked more like cgi?

bits were interesting, hinting at the darkness of da red evil but ultimately affleck destroys it all – he’s a wuss, he looks likes a wuss and he talks like a wuss (voiceovers – that was the first warning it was all going to go to hell in a handcart). that whole crisis-of-conscience shtick just doesn’t convince.

kevin smith’s cameo (didn’t daredevil cameo in jay + silent bob’s last outting?) was cute and i caught frank miller’s and stan lee’s names on the closing credits. so lots of detail to marvel at, just don't try looking at the bigger picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

Originally posted by richindub2
    I liked it. Was a lot darker and more interesting than spiderman.

I hadnt read anything about it before going to see it so
    elektra's death
    really surprised me - didnt expect that in a marvel film :)

50c says the sequel proves you wrong. :)

If it continues to follow the comics, it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The sequel is set to follow Kevin Smith's Daredevil series - which I haven't read so I don't know where it goes.

Interestingly, Smith will pen the script for it - which should HOPEFULLY clear up the only thing that really annoyed me about this film, namely that it was blatantly obvious that the script had passed through the usual Hollywood death of a thousand cuts at the hands of a thousand different writers. The pacing and dialogue was utterly inconsistent; hopefully putting the whole thing into the hands of one person who really understands the source material will fix this second time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I thought it was pretty good. The fight scenes were fun. It didn't make alot of sense that
    Bullseye killed Electra using old fasioned fisticuffs when she knew 20 martial arts and had two **** off knives mind you.

I just didn't like Affleck. He was too clean and conventional for what is a more alternative comic character. His build is far too bulky for instance. Casting more unusial people in superhero roles like with Spiderman is definately the way to go.

{Draco: Added spoiler tags.}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

I think 'slightly' is an unfair measure of just how pissed off I am that you didnt use a spoiler tag, BLITZ_Molloy.

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Eleckra can't be dead ... sure daredevil got one of those knives in the chest and he was ok
    and who else put that bracelet on the washing line etc

I thought Colin Farrrell was very funny .. real gritty oirish accent

if only he could teach that to Richard Gere (I think it was day of the jackel)???
    and leo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think 'slightly' is an unfair measure of just how pissed off I am that you didnt use a spoiler tag, BLITZ_Molloy.
    Yeah, not very clever. Can the mod or Blitz_Malloy edit it?

The sequel is set to follow Kevin Smith's Daredevil series

That's almost certainly a Good Thing. Kevin Smith's run on DareDevil is widely regarded to be the best DareDevil storyline, and one of the best storylines Marvel has ever produced, period.

I haven't read all of it, but he currently has a new DareDevil series (Daredevil Bullseye - issue #2 in stores soon!) out, which looks promising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ImpactPlayer

I thought it was great. Colin Farrell surpsrised me, thought he would suck. I thought spiderman was better though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Originally posted by hussey
    who else put that bracelet on the washing line etc
    I thought it was the reporter?
    Though that doesn't *really* explain it, it's as good an answer as the
    elektra isn't dead
    one...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

Originally posted by ImpactPlayer
    I thought it was great. Colin Farrell surpsrised me, thought he would suck.

why did you think he was gonna suck? which of his films to date have been bad? I think Colin is a great actor, he knows how to pick parts that he can play well!!

Ive heard talk that he (among a distinguished list of other young hollywoods) has auditioned for the part of Bruce Wayne in the new Batman. I say Bruce Wayne because it's based on the very start of the comic series which details how Bruce became Batman!

Advertisement