Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homecheck for rehoming

Options
  • 16-12-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Just wondering can you request a homecheck from the shelters before you've decided on what dog you want to re-home? or do they only do the homecheck once you've expressed interest in a certain dog in the shelter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

You can request a homecheck before you've picked a dog in most cases or at least you can with the rescue I volunteer with.

That way the rescue can see what kind of dog would suit you best and if they've nothing available then you're ready to go once a suitable dog comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

You'd probably need to have visited them and picked out a suitable dog before they'll arrange a homecheck. Reason being the homechecks are done by volunteers and there's their time and mileage consider, so they'll be reluctant to do a homecheck for someone who ultimately may not adopt. At least that's how it works with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

It varies from shelter to shelter, all you can do is ask any of the ones you are intererested in and see what they say.

If you visit/ring them and talk to them about what sort of dog you think might suit you, and if they don't have a suitable dog at the time you could ask them to do the homecheck on the basis that as soon as a suitable dog comes in you can re-home it asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I think that you will find the Galway rescues to be helpful & flexible.

Most homechecks have basic questions like:

Family/children
    Own or Rent - landlords permission
    Fenced garden
    How long will the dog be left.
    Dog ownership experience.

East Galway Animal Rescue EGAR posts here often.

http://www.egar.org/

& there is MADRA Dog Rescue in the West of the County.

http://www.madra.ie/

We also have the GSPCA.

The key is to be open, honest & willing to take advice. If you are turned down then discuss the options. Rehoming criteria will vary at each rescue so try another if one says no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

different dogs have different needs so I'd say to visit the shelter first and meet the dogs, once you have your eye on a particular dog, ask for a homecheck.
    That way they'll know what to look for, a decent-sized 100% secure garden is probably most important.
    Rescue centre staff are always busy and can't afford (financially or time-wise!) to do homechecks for people that are vaguely interested in adoption, not saying you're not serious OP!

if you are genuinely interested, get in contact with them and make an appointment to visit them first if that's viable for you.

best of luck with it and let us know how you get on:)

• Advertisement

magentas wrote: »
    That way they'll know what to look for, a decent-sized 100% secure garden is probably most important.

That is a common belief but there are rescues near Galway that won't insist on this provided you can show that the dog will get regular (twice a day) walks. Plenty of rescues get rehomed in apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Discodog wrote: »
    That is a common belief but there are rescues near Galway that won't insist on this provided you can show that the dog will get regular (twice a day) walks. Plenty of rescues get rehomed in apartments.
    really? I wouldn't have thought that it'd be fair to keep a dog confined indoors all day except for two walks...then again if the owner isn't away all day or it's a small dog...
    Actually, let me try that again, I think a good responsible owner is probably the most important thing!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

magentas wrote: »
    really? I wouldn't have thought that it'd be fair to keep a dog confined indoors all day except for two walks...then again if the owner isn't away all day or it's a small dog...
    Actually, let me try that again, I think a good responsible owner is probably the most important thing!:D

I have an average sized garden but my dogs arent out there only for the toilet or when we are outside. They are inside dogs so I dont know if a garden is a must. I think if you do have a garden then it must be enclosed and secure.

I would fail typical homecheck as my garden is not secure but I am fairly sure that I could rehome a dog from some of the local rescues. My three get a good, off lead, walk morning & evening. I have followed this routine since childhood & the dogs always sleep during the day.

Advertisement