Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wine kit

Options
  • 19-10-2014 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Started my first wine kit Australian blend pinot griogio 7 day 30 bottle kit,left it to ferment out for14 days fg 0.0997 added finings as per instructions,that was around 60 hours ago and it still is fairly dark in colour is it OK to leave these kits clear for a good few days? The only fv I had left has no airlock hole so its sealed I presume this is OK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

Hi Flanaganred - Best thing to do would be to follow the instructions as close as possible.

It should be no harm to leave it sit for a couple more days and when it is cleared you will see a layer of sediment on the bottom (assuming the vessel is clear). That would be the time to rack it into a new vessel or bottles. You have no airlock - that shouldn't be a problem as it sounds like it has finished fermenting but if you received a stabiliser it is no harm to use that..

I made the same kit a couple of months back and its not bad at all - If you like reds then I recommend the Sadlers reserve too.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

Hi Flanaganred - Best thing to do would be to follow the instructions as close as possible.

It should be no harm to leave it sit for a couple more days and when it is cleared you will see a layer of sediment on the bottom (assuming the vessel is clear). That would be the time to rack it into a new vessel or bottles. You have no airlock - that shouldn't be a problem as it sounds like it has finished fermenting but if you received a stabiliser it is no harm to use that..

I made the same kit a couple of months back and its not bad at all - If you like reds then I recommend the Sadlers reserve too.

Thanks bottled up yesterday there was a good layer of sediment at the bottom, tasted promising is there a big difference in taste after leaving it for a few weeks?I thought it would be lighter in colour

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

Mine turned out quite light.. I racked mine from the original carboy into a second carboy before bottling though.. Did you use the clearing agent that came with the kit?

As to taste - I can't yet say if it improves with age - when I bottled mine back in august it tasted good but I am yet to try the remaining bottles.. they say that these wines are best drank young though so I wouldn't be expecting it to significantly improve after the initial few months in the bottle..

Advertisement