Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

It's not considered a name change, it's just the Irish version of your name. You just send the application with your Irish name, and like the poster said two above, you can tick a box to have the name on your birth cert mentioned on the info pages of your passport. (Might be handy if you're ever in trouble abroad and you have insurance or something in the English version). I put mine in Irish years ago. It's exactly the same as having it in English. No bother at all. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

my driving licence isnt due for renewal for another seven years. so unless i said i lost my driving licence or stolen will i have to wait?

Afaik, You can request that they reissue it with the name changed on it, same as if you moved house and wanted your new address shown on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fia Ealga

How long does it take to change your passport name?
    I currently have my name in English, but I wish to change it to its Irish equivalent. I was born and raised in Ireland, if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭somairle

standard 10 days via passport express, it doesnt take any longer just because you want your name in Irish. as long as you send them 2 forms of proof you have been using your Irish name for over 2 years, these could be a letter from a bank, a driving licence, letter from college, p a dated work ID.

If you don't send them proof they may issue you with a 2 year passport with your English name noted, after this 2 years you can then reapply for a 10 year passport with your name solely in Irish. If you don't send proof make sure you tick the box that says you want you English name noted on the page above your Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

sorry to bring this up but would a bank statement do for the name change ? I use both but both my drivers licence and passport are in english

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

aindriu80 wrote: »
    sorry to bring this up but would a bank statement do for the name change ? I use both but both my drivers licence and passport are in english

Best to stick to one or the other for all official business. If you want to use your name in Irish then best to get it changed over for everything. Get anything changed first (drivers licence is usually handy enough to get changed over) and then you can start using that as evidence of use elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Big Shlong

I'm looking into going to Australia again but Iv being there already and I'm thinking of goin back but the only way I can see is if I change my name to Irish. Does anybody know anyone who done this and any tips on what to do?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Big Shlong wrote: »
    I'm looking into going to Australia again but Iv being there already and I'm thinking of goin back but the only way I can see is if I change my name to Irish. Does anybody know anyone who done this and any tips on what to do?

Are you looking for advice on how to con your way to a new visa? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I don't know about Australia but this would not work going to the States. At least when I went back to the US after putting my passport in the Irish, the guy at US Immigration in Dublin was able to see that it was my first time entering on my Irish name. Presumably, therefore, there is a tracking number on the passport which remains regardless of the name.

An File wrote: »
    Are you looking for advice on how to con your way to a new visa? :confused:

Yes using an Irish name on my passport. Heard it works, either that or stay here with little opportunity to work.

• Advertisement

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I don't know about Australia but this would not work going to the States. At least when I went back to the US after putting my passport in the Irish, the guy at US Immigration in Dublin was able to see that it was my first time entering on my Irish name. Presumably, therefore, there is a tracking number on the passport which remains regardless of the name.

OK thanks for the reply. I heard it works in Oz. I'd be applying for a new passport and saying I want to put it in Irish. Do both the English and Irish names stay on the passport or will it be the Irish name only?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yes using an Irish name on my passport. Heard it works, either that or stay here with little opportunity to work.

In that case, you're in the wrong place. This forum is for sensible discussion about the Irish language. It's not for figuring out how to trick your way over international borders.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement