Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Football Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Col200sx wrote: »
    Fair enough, but having drawn blanks in 4 of the 7 league games so far, I hope it doesn't continue.

Well yes, something should change but if Dunne persists in his tactical decisions and selections, a new striker won't have an impact. Keegan isn't a winger and is being played out there. That's a striker for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Excellent result tonight beating Waterford 2-0.

Absolute cracker of a goal by Ryan Connolly too curling one into the top corner from just outside the box.

Fully worth the win, it could've been 5 or 6 had we taken out chances.

Up to 2nd in the table too : )

Don't forget folks Finn Harps in the cup on Monday, kick off earlier at 5-30pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,552 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Excellent result tonight beating Waterford 2-0.

Absolute cracker of a goal by Ryan Connolly too curling one into the top corner from just outside the box.

Fully worth the win, it could've been 5 or 6 had we taken out chances.

Up to 2nd in the table too : )

Don't forget folks Finn Harps in the cup on Monday, kick off earlier at 5-30pm.
    Were Waterford any use? Should we be worried visiting there next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The only team I haven't seen this year are Harps and, in my opinion, Galway are the strongest. Has to be between them and Shels this year

CSF wrote: »
    Were Waterford any use? Should we be worried visiting there next week?

They were the better side in the first 20 minutes I thought.

Scored a disallowed goal too with a diving header, it looked onside to me and everybody around me.

But they tired in the second half and once the second goal went in their heads dropped and could've been 5 or 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

oldyouth wrote: »
    The only team I haven't seen this year are Harps and, in my opinion, Galway are the strongest. Has to be between them and Shels this year
    definitely the top 2, i think shels look the more organised and balanced of the two, but on paper id rather galways team.
    on not seeing us, we are dreadful atm and wouldnt worry! galway will have no trouble accounting for us on monday in the cup. had considered heading but just cant face it after last night. wouldnt expect much traveling support im afraid....

Radio Telefis Harps is running if anyone here is interested...

Finished GFC 1, Harps 0.

Vinny Faherty with a rebound after a cracking volley by Jake Keegan came back off the post.

Few nervy moment towards the end but job done.

• Advertisement

The 2 games against Wexford (possibly along with Rovers B) have been our poorest performances this season. For once, this season we are actually really good. Probably our best team since demotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

I went to the League Cup game. Harps probably had slightly more of the ball but Galway did a whole lot more with it when they had it. It was a competitive if somewhat error-strewn game, about what you'd expect from an early rounds League Cup fixture. Was nice to see ex-Limerick players there in Derek O'Brien and Carel Tiofack. Crowd was a good size for the occasion too. Thought Jake Keegan looked decent for the most part, as somebody said above his volley that led to Faherty's goal was excellent.

I went to the League Cup game. Harps probably had slightly more of the ball but Galway did a whole lot more with it when they had it. It was a competitive if somewhat error-strewn game, about what you'd expect from an early rounds League Cup fixture. Was nice to see ex-Limerick players there in Derek O'Brien and Carel Tiofack. Crowd was a good size for the occasion too. Thought Jake Keegan looked decent for the most part, as somebody said above his volley that led to Faherty's goal was excellent.

Did Galway play a full strength team? We (Youths) played our reserves/kids in the last round and we've drawn Galway in the next

Galway FC drawn away to Wexford Youths in quarter final of EA Sports Cup, not a bad draw considering the rest of the draw:

Derry City v Dundalk
    Wexford Youths v Galway FC
    Longford Town v Bohemian FC
    Shamrock Rovers v Cork City

To be played May 26th or 27th.
    Did Galway play a full strength team? We (Youths) played our reserves/kids in the last round and we've drawn Galway in the next

No, only 3 that started against Waterford on Friday started agains Harps.

No, only 3 that started against Waterford on Friday started agains Harps.

Interesting. Perhaps both teams will do the same in this round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

It was my first time seeing them (or any First Division teams) this year. I recognised most of the names but I wouldn't have much idea who starts for them these days anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

First really disciplined, coherent, well organised side I've seen in the FD this season. Can see why some people are tipping them to be up for promotion/play-off.

what did ye make of the match on friday? had an exam in dublin & couldnt go

dfx- wrote: »
    First really disciplined, coherent, well organised side I've seen in the FD this season. Can see why some people are tipping them to be up for promotion/play-off.

Inclined to agree. Wexford may have beaten us but Galway the most impressive team we have faced.

• Advertisement

overshoot wrote: »
    what did ye make of the match on friday? had an exam in dublin & couldnt go

Was a pretty bad performance to be honest.

Weren't playing well against 11 men, but didn't do much more to exploit the 10 men either.

In hindsight that was a point gained rather than 2 dropped as Harps were unlucky not to hold on for the win.

The only positive from the night was that Shelbourne dropped points too.

3 away games up now with Cobh and Shelbourne in the league and Wexford youths in between in the cup.

i think iv got the impression that it was pretty much identical to the game in Finn Park. away team have a man sent off, home have more ball but create bugger all and scrap an equaliser.

we might have all 3 strikers available (and fit) for the first time this year against shels on friday, as opposed to having none for the game in tolka! so hoping we can take 3 points out of that! could do with Coll recovering from his kidney shot tho after Bonners card. Gonna miss that too :(

also the home/away stuff cant be that hard to organise can it? shels is going to be our 2nd home game in 7! the other being shams b, hardly great for resources

Will there be many travelling to Dublin Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Will there be many travelling to Dublin Friday?

No. Only 8 people put their name down for the bus. So it'll just be the Dublin based lads plus a few who'll make their own way up. I can't believe we can't get a crowd for a game this big.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

No. Only 8 people put their name down for the bus. So it'll just be the Dublin based lads plus a few who'll make their own way up. I can't believe we can't get a crowd for a game this big.

What kind of numbers were GUFC getting travelling up in the Premier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

What kind of numbers were GUFC getting travelling up in the Premier?

The same. Exactly the same people.

• Advertisement

No way is the ball fully over the line for that first goal. Shocking from the lines woman to be making that call. 3 cracking goals there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Galway fans haven't lost their sense of humour! USA USA USA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

No way is the ball fully over the line for that first goal. Shocking from the lines woman to be making that call. 3 cracking goals there.

No, it was over it alright. She got it spot on.

Great to get the win there. Well done Galway.

TBP wrote: »
    No, it was over it alright. She got it spot on.

Great to get the win there. Well done Galway.

Not a hope, the player that is clearing it is barely over the line, if even fully, never mind the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Was up in Galway City for the weekend and noticed there was a stall set up selling Lotto Tickets for Galway FC on Shop Street. Bought a line of them and had a good chat with the boys selling them. Seemed really into what they were doing and when I mentioned I was a Bohs fan on my way to Limerick they gave me two programmes from a couple of weeks back. Thought the programmes were nicely done and only for ye were away I would've loved to see the Tribesmen in action. Next time. Was cool to see them having a presence on one of the main thoroughfares of the city. Best of luck for the future and hopefully we draw ya away in the next round of the cup :)

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

There's a fair few peaches in that lot!

Good performance last night, getting a 2nd really would've settled us down a bit.

But with only a 1-0 lead there was always going to be a few nervy moments and last ditch defending.

Fair play to the ref taking back the penalty after consulting with the linesman.

Only 2 points off Shels now, they're there for the taking after another poor result drawing 2-2 with Cobh.

Only 2 points off Shels now, they're there for the taking after another poor result drawing 2-2 with Cobh.

Longford who are level on points with Galway with a game in hand are the ones to worry about.

Longford who are level on points with Galway with a game in hand are the ones to worry about.

Then why are we ahead of you? You make it sound like you've been better than us when the facts suggest otherwise.

• Advertisement

Then why are we ahead of you? You make it sound like you've been better than us when the facts suggest otherwise.

Calm down. I think Longford are going to be the team to beat. I don't think Galway will win the league. Just that Longford winning their game in hand would put them top. I think once they get there, they will stay there.

Calm down. I think Longford are going to be the team to beat. I don't think Galway will win the league. Just that Longford winning their game in hand would put them top. I think once they get there, they will stay there.
    Fair enough I suppose, this Longford side has failed to get over the line last 2 seasons though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Fair enough I suppose, this Longford side has failed to get over the line last 2 seasons though.

No it hasn't,the team who failed to get over the line has been improved with rice, o'connor, o'sullivan and cowan, all big players who could steady the team when it counts. The last two years the town have raced out in front,gone through a rough patch and then started back again to miss out in the playoffs, this year we didn't go racing out of the blocks to stumble, we are only starting to get going now and would expect us to really push on after the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Are jerseys for sale anywhere other than at Terryland? I'm not in Galway very much anymore and I'm rarely carrying an extra fifty notes when I go to matches but I wouldn't mind having a jersey. Last time I was in Galway though I didn't see them in any of the sports shops. What's the story?

• Advertisement
Advertisement