Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginning to play keyboard/piano

Options
  • 09-01-2005 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if any of you guys could give me any advice in regards to purchasing and/or learning to play an electronic keyboard (I've been looking at the Yamaha psr-295 and dgx-505; big price difference, but thats why I'm here - for your help).

I've always wanted to play the piano and assumed (probably incorrectly) that my ability to type on a computer keyboard might help speed the learning process somewhat.

What I want to know is A) is it hard to learn to play either a piano or keyboard B) can it be self taught C) if I was to go and get a keyboard, perhaps to learn to play a piano on, do I get a 61 key or 88 key electronic keyboard?

Also, one final thing, I've completely ignored any other manufacturer than Yamaha which I'm sure is a mistake, so any suggestions on makes/models to get would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Don't know too much about this but what I would suggest is that you try and get a keyboard with weighted keys. When you play a piano the movement of the hammers creates a resistance which means there is some effort involved in striking each key. A lot of cheaper keyboards don't have this and there is little effort needed to strike a key. I would think it's better to learn on a piano or weighted key setup, you'll be able to play piano comfotably if it's something you're used to, if you try piano after a non-weighted keyboard you'll find it very awkward to say the least.

Also, some lessons in proper technique would be a good idea when you're starting off, you don't need to keep it going and do grades and the like, but I would be beneficial to try and avoid bad habits in the beginning. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

if you don't play any other instrument then it's going to be extremely frustrating for you at first.. i play a little, and i only figured out what keys make up certain chords because i know what notes are in those chords hence which key is right.. if you don't play you won't have that luxury..

some keyboards are really good and have a screen which will have a diagram with the keyboard on it, which will light up what keys you have to press for certain chords. the frustrating part about it is remembering what keys/notes make up which chords!!

i recommend gettin tiny stickers and sticking them on the keys(not all of them, just the first octave or so) and write what note that particular key is which will help you learn and remember.. and read up on chords and what notes are within them etc

have fun and take it slow and as the Doc said it will be best to get lessons at first.. and above all else learn as many different style songs as possible, this will help you in the long run.. i'm lookin to get a keyboard soon cos i miss playing it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

thanks, that certainly helps alot.

but I still have to wonder... how many keys should I aim for? what price is reasonable (the psr-295 is approx €200 whereas the dgx-505 is approx €500) .

also as for lessons, is it possible to learn via video or dvd? I'm a little stretched for time, so pre-arranging an appointment would be rather difficult. I know Yamaha sell a video/dvd for beginners but could one really learn from such a thing? I'm all for self-tuition, I mostly dislike having to be taught by others' experiences.

...still somewhat clueless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

SolarNexus wrote:
    thanks, that certainly helps alot.

but I still have to wonder... how many keys should I aim for? what price is reasonable (the psr-295 is approx €200 whereas the dgx-505 is approx €500) .

also as for lessons, is it possible to learn via video or dvd? I'm a little stretched for time, so pre-arranging an appointment would be rather difficult. I know Yamaha sell a video/dvd for beginners but could one really learn from such a thing? I'm all for self-tuition, I mostly dislike having to be taught by others' experiences.

...still somewhat clueless

i suppose ideally you should go for one with a larger range.. but if you're not *that* serious at the moment then there is no point wastin money to then give up in a month..

where are you getting your prices?

the psr-295 is 279 here.. and this place is one of the best for prices!!

it seems grand, it's certainly good enough for a beginner!!

whereas the DGX-505 here is 649.. a far cry from 500.. again this seems like a great keyboard!!!

it also has a pitch bend wheel which can be fun! and it also includes a sustain pedal and stand... obviously this is far better than the first but all it comes down to is if you want to spend the money.

a dvd would be grand for learning, but do your research and look around for the best one with the most information.. no point buying one and by the time it's delivered to your house you're already past the learning curve which the dvd covers!

Look around on the net for some kind of keyboard forum and they will probably know what's best.. i don't know any off hand tho

I always get me' prices off the 'net, I dont bother with highstreet price-checks as more often than not they're more than the most expensive on the 'net. Also, ebay stores are quite cheap - £142 for PSR-295 w/ adapter

Froogle - psr-295

Froogle - dgx-505

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Shane Smith

Hey, I'm a self-taught keys player, my 1st proper keyboard (after the initial piece of junk that is casio) was a Yamaha PSR330, they are ok keyboards for starting off and have lots of nifty gadgets on board.

I suppose its a waste of time mentioning Roland as they are more expensive but I do personally think the quality is better. I am kinda familiar with some of the other PSR's and generally I'm not mad about the Yamaha piano sounds. As for weighted keys, its a personal thing but not totally necessary unless you plan on being a "pianist" in every sense of the word.

Speaking from experience, I don't get on with weighted keys unless its a full grand piano (i don't think a lot of the keyboard manufacturers have nabbed it yet, must be something in the wood ;) )

If you want to play keys, you'll more than likely wanna feel some inspiration at some point and this boils down a lot to sound quality, especially considering they're all sampled in one way or another. I'm not too keen on Korg but many people rave about them, I've played a GEM before which was grand for everything bar piano sounds.

I suppose I'd be a satisfied Roland customer (I currently used an E300) and even though they're more expensive, they do have cheaper models specifically for the purpose you require.

I'm sure everyone has a different opinion, that there is just mine :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Hey, I'm teaching piano at the minute and I'd reckon it would be possible for you to learn by yourself considering it's such a visual instrument, there's a series of books written by James and Jane Smisor Bastien which I would use when teaching, they give you a good grounding and the correct technique as well as teach you how to sight read etc...Videos aren't great for piano from my experience.

Regarding the keyboards you've been looking at as Doctor J said, it's much better to get weighted keyes for finger strenght as well as being able to make that transition to a real piano if you wish.

Good Luck

Fusion

Well, we shall see how useful a DVD can be... I already bought "Keyboards - the easy way" by Jools Holland. It cost less than €20, so not too much of a waste if its no good. Should help me test the waters a bit.

As for learning piano on a keyboard: is 61 keys sufficient? I think a piano has 88, but most keyboards have 61, the more keys the more it costs so I'd like to know before I end up 'wasting' any money. Some even have 76, like the Yamaha DGX 305, which just confuses the hell out of me as its neither piano nor keyboard size.

I'm not sure how possible weighted keys on a keyboard would be.. the Yamaha DGX 505 is the only "true" keyboard I know of that has weighted (but 'light' weighted) keys. And the only realistic weighted keys I can think of would be the Yamaha Clavinova range which I'm sure is out of my financial and space budget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Weighted keys may be out of the question but keys that have a different dynamic may be good, the ones that change volume based on how hard you press the key.
    Ahh I'm sure Jules may be of some help to ya, if not check out the Bastien books!
    :cool:

Advertisement