Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pickups

Options
  • 09-01-2005 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭

The bridge humbucker in my Ibanez rg370 is a bit weak. I want suggestions for a non active, hi output pickup. My sound is influenced by muse, metallica, dreamtheater etc.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

EMG Hz's if you want a nice chunky distorsion humbucker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I use a Seymour Duncan JB, I think it's the dogs kahooolees :D

I wouldn't go purely on output, amps these days have more than enough gain to be able to comfortably overdive and distort all but the feeblest of outputs. Find a pickup that sounds good first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Doctor J wrote:
    I use a Seymour Duncan JB, I think it's the dogs kahooolees :D

Seconded!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Yeah the JB seems good. I like to try out stuff before i buy it but thats kind of a problem with pickups. Would the Duncan be a major improvement in tone from the stock ibanez powersound?

It's not a very high output pickup, but it's louder than average. To my ears, it just sounds fantastic clean and distorts sweetly and without sludge, and I've played it in dropped A at times. I love them, they're just a great all rounder.

• Advertisement

Ok, what about these EMG HZ's. Is it possible to mix an EMG 81 with a passive single coil and neck humbucker without any difference in volume.

You'd need to run them on separate circuits, I think. They need to run through different rated pots (volume, tone, etc). Would be messy and probably not worth the grief.

yeah i thought as much. Has anybody tried the EMG HZ's

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

The HZ's aren't worth **** imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Piss poor really. Go with Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio for passives. But I recommend changing. I have the powersounds and they're horrible. I'm either going to get a new guitar or change out the powersounds. RG2620 from Thomann. About a grand by the time it gets here. Yummy! :D

• Advertisement

Go to Ishibashi tbh.

That website confuses the hell out of me.
    a) I don't speak Japanese
    b) I can't find a translated version
    c) My computer doesn't even have japanese language text support so I can't even get a friend who does speak it to translate it for me. :s

Also the yen conversion thing. Haven't a clue really.

www.xe.com and Doctor J is all you need :D

Hmmm... Same guitar on Musicstore for 939. Not too shabby. Everything I could ask for too. Mahogany body, quilted maple top, neck through, a good trem, and nice pickups. Get a grand together and that ideas a go.

Link me

Oh yeah, Prestige neck too. :D Hmmm... Having trouble linking to it from either Musicstore or the Ibanez website. It's only giving me general site links.

Have to say though, I'd be getting the sapphire blue option. Bah Humbug to my poverty. Maybe if I didn't have friends I wouldn't spend money going out... Must give that idea a shot.

I've no friends but I still spend money. Damn food addiction.

Oooh! New plan! I could say I'm dying and get my friends to raise money for a miracle cure, which comes in a guitar-shaped package. Suddenly I'm good as new! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement