Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Booking test (6month rule)

• 06-01-2013 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭

My driving licence was issued at the end of October and my 6 month waiting period will be up at the start of the Easter holidays. Is it possible to book my test now to do it during the break. Or do I have to wait to book and apply for a cancellation if I want to do it before I head back to school. I may be able to get hold of an employers letter if that helps

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

Anyone?

When I booked my test (2yrs ago) I didn't get to pick a date. I booked, then a letter arrived 10weeks later telling me about my date which was something like 2 weeks later. Might be different now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

ManMade wrote: »
    My driving licence was issued at the end of October and my 6 month waiting period will be up at the start of the Easter holidays. Is it possible to book my test now to do it during the break. Or do I have to wait to book and apply for a cancellation if I want to do it before I head back to school. I may be able to get hold of an employers letter if that helps

You can book the test but there are 2 things restricting you.
    1. 6 month takes you to late April
    2. EDT hold, which holds your application until this programme is completed

At this point you could ring RSA but it could be another 4-6 weeks depending on your test centre

Motor-Ed wrote: »

You can book the test but there are 2 things restricting you.
    1. 6 month takes you to late April
    2. EDT hold, which holds your application until this programme is completed

At this point you could ring RSA but it could be another 4-6 weeks depending on your test centre
    Can I book it now for the start of May? And if i book my test date now for after the six month period such as the 29th of April ( exactly 6 months after date issued). Seeing as I will have my edts done by the end of February. Would there be any complications with the examiner if I was sitting my exam and it was just 2 days after my waiting period? Would the RSA wait until my EDTS were complete before adding my name to the waiting list? Also any news when that N plate will become law?

ManMade wrote: »
    Can I book it now for the start of May? And if i book my test date now for after the six month period such as the 29th of April ( exactly 6 months after date issued). Seeing as I will have my edts done by the end of February. Would there be any complications with the examiner if I was sitting my exam and it was just 2 days after my waiting period? Would the RSA wait until my EDTS were complete before adding my name to the waiting list? Also any news when that N plate will become law?

No from my experience with this you will not get a date until after the six months.
    Waiting on enactment dates and details for N plates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

You can book now requesting a specific set of dates. Make sure your EDT lessons are complete and uploaded well in advance. This clears you to be given a date. Specify on your application that you cannot sit the test until after date X and then will not be available after date Y. This is not guaranteed to work but is correct and acceptable practice. I have had someone pass their test six months and a day after they got their learner permit. A phone call can also help, if you are polite. Getting impatient for an answer after 30 minutes would not help when talking to the RSA.

ADIDriving wrote: »
    You can book now requesting a specific set of dates. Make sure your EDT lessons are complete and uploaded well in advance. This clears you to be given a date. Specify on your application that you cannot sit the test until after date X and then will not be available after date Y. This is not guaranteed to work but is correct and acceptable practice. I have had someone pass their test six months and a day after they got their learner permit. A phone call can also help, if you are polite. Getting impatient for an answer after 30 minutes would not help when talking to the RSA.
    Thanks very much. Would I be given a date before I have completed my EDTs or once I'm done my EDTs will they contact me me with the date?

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    No from my experience with this you will not get a date until after the six months.
    [/QUOTE

I guess it depends on who you get on the phone but the official line is as stated above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

You will not be offered a date until you have completed the EDT and they have been uploaded properly. Make sure they get uploaded. You can receive an offer of a date before your six months. This date most be after the six months. This is all very complicated. But these facts are the same regardless wether your application is by mail or online and regardless wether you phone the RSA or not.

Just to clarify as I have experienced RSA.
    They will not issue a "test date" until
    1. EDT is completed correctly
    2. Licence has been held for 6 months

• Advertisement
Advertisement