Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting my money back

Options
  • 08-08-2010 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

Some advice would be welcome...

My ex owes me a substantial amount of money, has confirmed on email that he owes me but each timescale and method of repayment he has agreed to has not panned out.

What is my next step? Am considering going legal but dont know a good solicitor to handle it for me.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Your option is to either accept the repayments or to sue him for the full amount now outstanding.

If you get a judgment against him that's no guarantee that he will be able to repay you but you can try and enforce the judgment in various ways.

Its probably reasonable to consider whether you think he is holding out on you or is genuinely unable to repay in larger amounts over less time. If the former suing him might be a good decision. If the latter it might be unproductive.

You need to talk to a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Yeah when we were together he was to pay me bakc by way of a tax refund, insurance claim and none of these have manifested themselves.

How could the judgmenet be enforced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

You enforce it by registering it against real property (land, house) which he owns and seeking to sell that property or by getting an order of fieri fascias to be executed by the Sherriff allowing items of his personal property to be seized and sold to satisfy the debt.

Advertisement