Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FroYo for Nexus One Link inside here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭romperstomper

thanks, but can you explain how you install it? rename to update.zip and stick on a sd card? and is it the 'official' final release? there have been lots of (buggy) eng releases drip fed in the past. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

thanks, but can you explain how you install it? rename to update.zip and stick on a sd card? and is it the 'official' final release? there have been lots of (buggy) eng releases drip fed in the past. thanks
    You're on stock right?

Download the file (Obviously :pac:)
    1. Rename the file to update.zip. Note that if you’re using Windows, just rename it to "update" (no quotes, of course) because it’s already a zipped file.
    2. Copy the update.zip file onto your microSD card.
    3. With your Nexus One off, hold down the trackball and press the power button.
    4. You’ll be booted into a white screen with three Android robots on skateboards. Select "Bootloader."
    5. On the next screen, select "Recovery."
    6. Your phone will reboot, giving you a picture of the Android robot and an exclamation point inside a triangle.
    7. Now press the power button and volume up button at the same time. It could take a couple of tries.
    8. Now choose "Apply sdcard:update.zip" and let things run their course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭romperstomper

thanks again. i'm running stock 2.1 on a nexus. how can you be sure this is 2.2 final though? I deliberately have not put on non official releases cos of some of the bugs i've read about

cheers

thanks again. i'm running stock 2.1 on a nexus. how can you be sure this is 2.2 final though? I deliberately have not put on non official releases cos of some of the bugs i've read about

cheers
    It comes direct from Google. The link was extracted from one of the phones that got the OTA update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

[URL="file:///C:/Users/mena/Downloads/signed-passion-FRF50-from-ERE27.1e519a24.zip"]android.clients.google.com/packages/passion/signed-passion-FRF50-from-ERE27.1e519a24.zip[/URL]
    You may want to post a link that does not assume we are physically sitting at your PC, logged in as you or an administrator.

• Advertisement

Fixed now

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Fixed now

Nice. Froyo is installing on my N1 as I type...

and it's done.

Downloading Flash 10.1 Beta now.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

I LOVE FroYo!:p

Flash can be a bit glitchy at times but I still love it. It's the one thing I was really looking forward to. I listen to a lot of music online, new bands/artists etc. so the ability to now do it on my phone is awsome.:D

Update went smoothly too, pretty quick. Alot quicker than a video I watched last night of someone else doing it??
    You're on stock right?

Download the file (Obviously :pac:)
    1. Rename the file to update.zip. Note that if you’re using Windows, just rename it to "update" (no quotes, of course) because it’s already a zipped file.
    2. Copy the update.zip file onto your microSD card.
    3. With your Nexus One off, hold down the trackball and press the power button.
    4. You’ll be booted into a white screen with three Android robots on skateboards. Select "Bootloader."
    5. On the next screen, select "Recovery."
    6. Your phone will reboot, giving you a picture of the Android robot and an exclamation point inside a triangle.
    7. Now press the power button and volume up button at the same time. It could take a couple of tries.
    8. Now choose "Apply sdcard:update.zip" and let things run their course.

Just a quick note to make, when choosing "Bootloader" and "Recovery", I used the power button as enter/select but when choosing the "Apply sdcard:update.zip" option I found I had to press the track ball to select it. Gave me a bit of a fright when I tried to select "Apply sdcard:update.zip" with the power button and nothing happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Link no longer working? I mean, it's not actually a link... but I've tried prefixing it with both ftp and http.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

can I do this with the HTC desire?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

sound thanks.

So is access to earlier updates an advantage of having a Nexus One over a Desire or can all other Android get froyo now too?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭smackyB

anyone got a link that works or could post the file up themselves? thanks

I wonder what the reason for the file's removal was.

Baza210 wrote: »
    I wonder what the reason for the file's removal was.
    Google didn't authorise it for general release I suppose. It was supposedly only for phones given away free to the media.

Update the links with an unrooted and a rooted version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

PH4T wrote: »
    So is access to earlier updates an advantage of having a Nexus One over a Desire or can all other Android get froyo now too?
    Just the Nexus 1 right now.
    Its basically Googles Dev Phone so it gets the updates first

Just the Nexus 1 right now.
    Its basically Googles Dev Phone so it gets the updates first
    It's the "Google Phone" that all Google Developers use. It's basically the standard for Android phones that Google uses to showcase Android.

Just to clarify, don't use this update on anything but a Nexus One. It will fail and may brick your device.

Keyboard seems majorly improved, which is great since it broke my HTC IME install and my Swype period expired a couple of days ago..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Finally got around to updating mine last night. Pretty much as good as i was expecting. Still loads to find out but the first thing that caught my eye is the camera,it's very much improved and more user friendly. Gonna have fun tomorrow fiddling about with it some more.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭ryderster

just updated my nexus one...alot more ram free :) always useful ...thanks for instructions

ryderster

I've noticed my WiFi is a lot speedier than before. It had a tendency to be sluggish but seems to be flying along now.:)

Could just be that the browser is unbelievably snappy now :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Keyboard seems majorly improved, which is great since it broke my HTC IME install and my Swype period expired a couple of days ago..

I have the apk for swype that doesn't expire if you want it?
    Or the link is somewhere on xda developers i'll try find the thread
    lord lucan wrote: »
    I've noticed my WiFi is a lot speedier than before. It had a tendency to be sluggish but seems to be flying along now.:)

Apparantley wifi n was enabled with 2.2 so that's why its faster, it really is much faster though isn't it?

C-Shore wrote: »
    I have the apk for swype that doesn't expire if you want it?
    Or the link is somewhere on xda developers i'll try find the thread

Are we thinking of the same expiration? Apparently there is a system flag that Swype sets that makes it expire 3 months after installation.

Are we thinking of the same expiration? Apparently there is a system flag that Swype sets that makes it expire 3 months after installation.

Yeah i know what you mean, the popup that says "you have used your trial" bla bla bla.. heart break!
    I think it ties in to your google account so you can't re-install it after clearing the cache and i even tried a few different versions and still got the expiry message even on first time to launch it.

But anyway, I eventually found one on xda developers that said in the thread that it wouldn't expire and using it about two weeks and haven't had any problems at all.
    Are you using a nexus one yeah?
    Let me know if you want it and i'll get you the file..

Yes please!

Yes please!

Just in work now and don't have usb cable to mount it and get the file, so i'll sort it out when i get home.. probably about half 5..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭ryderster

rte player is class on the browser now.. next we will have a home and away and a fair city app haha :)

ryderster wrote: »
    rte player is class on the browser now.. next we will have a home and away and a fair city app haha :)

Wow that is class!

Didn't Vodafone use to try and charge like €1 per TV show for stuff like that?

Could just be that the browser is unbelievably snappy now :P

Partly that (:p)but looking at NetCounter i've a lot more data going through WiFi than ever did before so it would appear they've improved the radio reception on it. Nice work Google.:)

Yes please!

Sorry about the delay, heres the download link

http://rapidshare.com/files/391118530/com.swype.android.inputmethod.apk

Let me know how you get on

I was talking to someone from Swype on IRC, they say there's no way around it, but I'll give it a go anyway.

EDIT : You beauty! Swype is back in my hands <3 Thanks so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I was talking to someone from Swype on IRC, they say there's no way around it, but I'll give it a go anyway.

EDIT : You beauty! Swype is back in my hands <3 Thanks so much.
    Someone was telling porkies :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Two questions for you lucky N1 users:

1. Are there tabs in the browser now?

2. Is the issue with top-posting in the gmail app still there? (you know, the purple quoted text showing up in all your replies)

edit: also, what version of swype is that above (version number if possible)?

Apparently there are updates to Swype coming fairly soon.

@djgaillimh :
    no, try xscope or dolphin
    couldn't say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Ah ok, that's the version I have. Thanks, I'm using Dolphin HD but was hoping that the 2.2 browser would have tabs to go along with its new-found speed.

Anybody else notice whether the purple quoted text is still appearing when you reply using the gmail app?

No problem, just hoping it doesn't expire, I'm fairly sure the guy who modded (is that a word?) removed the connection with the email and the expiry..

Also I know this is kind off topic, but does anyone know can you manipulate your ip/location settings do you can use pandora?

Are many people using Swype?

I've been playing around with it for a few days and it does seem very good.

• Advertisement

I love Swype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭long_b

I freaking ADORE Swype, use it constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Have been using froyo for a couple of days now. I like the permanent browser/phone/dialer buttons at the bottom, always thought they should have been there from day 1. They also fixed the showstopping bluetooth bug I reported \o/. Whenever I paired my Nexus One running android 2.1 with a Dell E6400 running Windows 7 it would cause bluetooth on the N1 to simply break and not be usable again until you do a factory reset on the phone, having to load apps and everything all over again. Now it just works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Has anyone used the wifi hotspot? Is it any good? What's the range like?

Anyone noticed that the power button is less sensitive since updating to Froyo?

I have to push it a few times now for it to work and it's difficult to select Airplane mode now.

Could just be that I damaged the power button in my excitement to install Froyo either :D

Speculation that June 19th will be when FroYo goes OTA.

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/05/27/june-19-froyo-rollout-day/

Hmm that's quite a ways out, might be some new stuff in store.

Edit : the iPhone 4 is coming out two weeks before that, interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

JohnK wrote: »
    Has anyone used the wifi hotspot? Is it any good? What's the range like?

Works like a dream :) Not sure what the max range is, but worked fine in a large room. I had two iPod Touches and a laptop using internet connection sharing to hook an XBox 360 up to XBox Live all running through my Nexus One over the weekend :D It uses the battery up quicker, so left it plugged in to charge while acting as the hotspot for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Finally got mine updated last night after about 6 hours of absolute torture. I though I had royally f'up my phone for good.

I kept getting an error saying 'E:Signature Verification'. Was initially using my Macbook to transfer over the update.zip to my sdcard. Tried it on a Windows machine this morning and it's installed fine.

Handcent seems to be updated properly now and is less buggy with 2.2,and i now have a flashing red trackball for SMS notifications!:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement