Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Compulsive Liars

Options
  • 28-05-2009 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

I work with a guy who constantly lies. Massive, massive lies. Stuff like he was in Paris for the weekend or he was once a financial director of a huge firm abroad etc. etc (the list goes on and on). He's a foreign guy, so we all believed him at the start, but it eventually became apparent he was full of shlt. He then has to tell more lies to cover his tracks. Jesus, is it worth the hassle.

He comes across as a very nice person, fairly intelligent and everything. So what's the point in these stupid lies?.. people actually liked him in the first place, but now despise him for all his bullshlt.

These people drive me utterly mad. What is wrong with these people, some childhood inferiority stuff? Pricks if you ask me. Do they have any morals at all? We all lie from time to time, to get out trouble etc...but these kind of people...

Are they curable? I can't stomach this guy at all, the only reason being he's a liar. Should I be more compassionate? Maybe he's actually sick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

You're making it up OP, aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

i know a few people like this . its very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Some people have motives for lying ie, social climbing ,wanting to fit in , job prospects .Compulsive liars which sounds like guy you mention OP are different in that they believe their own lies .He might have issues and Inadiquacies which compel him to lie .Some people just cant help themselfs but it's someting I hate myself .Remember their are lots of phoneys out there from all walks of life .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I don't believe you OP. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,016 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

<Ollie> wrote: »
    I work with a guy who constantly lies. Massive, massive lies. Stuff like he was in Paris for the weekend or he was once a financial director of a huge firm abroad etc. etc (the list goes on and on). He's a foreign guy, so we all believed him at the start, but it eventually became apparent he was full of shlt. He then has to tell more lies to cover his tracks. Jesus, is it worth the hassle.

He comes across as a very nice person, fairly intelligent and everything. So what's the point in these stupid lies?.. people actually liked him in the first place, but now despise him for all his bullshlt.

These people drive me utterly mad. What is wrong with these people, some childhood inferiority stuff? Pricks if you ask me. Do they have any morals at all? We all lie from time to time, to get out trouble etc...but these kind of people...

Are they curable? I can't stomach this guy at all, the only reason being he's a liar. Should I be more compassionate? Maybe he's actually sick.

Should you be compassionate? Well, not calling sick people "pricks" would be a start...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's mostly a mechanism to make themselves feel comfortable. Unless it affects the lives of those around them, it's no big deal and is really only ego-masturbation for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

my rule is generally you let someone exaggerate a story about 20%, but anymore than that and you're allowed tell them that they're bullshítting.

How do you know he's been lying, have you ever caught him out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I can see this being a very interesting thread.

I knew a girl that said she had triplets at the age of 14 (not true). Another time she was apparently raped (again not true). She made up a story about how she was seeing a guy in this summer course named Dave, she would talk on and on about this guy to all of our mates so we decided to try hang out with her and this Dave chap, y'know as mates usual would. He never existed, completely made up. Oh and another time she could supposedly do a back flip on roller blades and this isn't a very light girl either. We were all out one day in town , a few mates of ours, me and her, when we all decided we'd get something to eat, she was very against eating anything with lettuce in it as she was allergic to lettuce, ten minutes later she was munching into a quarter pounder with it covered in the stuff.

That's all I can remember at the moment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Should you be compassionate? Well, not calling sick people "pricks" would be a start...

I meant is he ACTUALLY sick? Like has he got some psychological problems. And yeah, I actually do think he's a prick for all the bull**** he's told me.

genericguy wrote: »
    my rule is generally you let someone exaggerate about 50%, but anymore than that and you're allowed tell them that they're bullshítting.

How do you know he's been lying, have you ever caught him out?

Trust me, he's full of ****. Caught him out loads of times.

• Advertisement

I meant is he ACTUALLY sick? Like has he got some psychological problems. And yeah, I actually do think he's a prick for all the bull**** he's told me.

If you feel that strongly about it, tell him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I have a friend (ish) who carries on like this. It's not endearing.

Pyr0 wrote: »

I knew a girl that said she had triplets at the age of 14 (not true). Another time she was apparently raped (again not true). She made up a story about how she was seeing a guy in this summer course named Dave, she would talk on and on about this guy to all of our mates so we decided to try hang out with her and this Dave chap, y'know as mates usual would. He never existed, completely made up. Oh and another time she could supposedly do a back flip on roller blades and this isn't a very light girl either. We were all out one day in town , a few mates of ours, me and her, when we all decided we'd get something to eat, she was very against eating anything with lettuce in it as she was allergic to lettuce, ten minutes later she was munching into a quarter pounder with it covered in the stuff.

you're not from blanchardstown pyro by any chance??? I totally know a girl like that!

Trust me, he's full of ****. Caught him out loads of times.

meant to say 20% - 50's way too generous. i trust ya man, i just love when spoofers are caught right out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Pyr0 wrote: »

Do you take many notes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

genericguy wrote: »
    you're not from blanchardstown pyro by any chance??? I totally know a girl like that!

Nope I'm not !

If you feel that strongly about it, tell him.

You reckon he's going to tell me the truth? I've actually hinted a few things to him, without calling him a liar. It's not that easy telling someone they're a liar.

Outdo him then, for every story he comes up with, you come up with a more outlandish one.
    One Upmanship ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Yeah ,as SS said ,sometimes you gotta play them at their own game with the oneupmanship .Some people are doers and some people are talkers .

The doers send the talkers a postcard from Australia :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I work with a guy exactly like that, I never know what to say to him when he's going on about the craziest things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I worked with a compulsive liar once.
    She rang in one day and said her Dad had died and that she would need a fair amount of time off. I said take as much time off as you like you poor pet, when's the funeral, oh its a private affair she says:rolleyes:

I saw her the following week shopping with her Dad..

Was he a bit stiff?

Yeh he had a big stiffy alright

Thought so, probably looked like death warmed up.

I wanted to bury her alive when I saw them

That would be my undertaking of it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a mate of mine told me she was a compulsive liar but i just dont believe her

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Tell him you have leprachauns living in your garden. Swear blind to it. I know the Americans believe it!:D

Tell him you have leprachauns living in your garden. Swear blind to it. I know the Americans believe it!:D

Some americans also believe irish farmers shag sheep..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

I'm sick of this compulsive lying from you OP, we all know you don't have a job.

Advertisement