Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
31-08-2014, 20:16   #3706
sonners
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: waterford
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sligo1 View Post
Yes do pump some off so. I landed in hospital with a mastitis when baby was 3 weeks. The feeling I had was very like you describe. Get into the bath and hold a face cloth over it aswell and give it a good massage. I always found if I did this before I went to bed the duct would feel fine come morning.
ok I'm gonna do all of this, you're right, I really don't want this getting worse. flying to Spain for a friend's wedding on Thursday, thought I was giving myself plenty of time finishing 2 weeks before we go :-(
sonners is offline  
Advertisement
31-08-2014, 20:24   #3707
Sligo1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,901
Hopefully you will be fine. Hope you're feeling better in the morning. Take some neurofen or paracetamol if you're sore aswell.
Sligo1 is offline  
Thanks from:
31-08-2014, 21:23   #3708
How Strange
Registered User
 
How Strange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 5,772
I was prone to blocked ducts and mastitis. I'd really recommend a hot bath, as hot as you can bear, and immerse the affected breast. Then you need to vigorously massage the breast working towards the nipple. The milk will come out like cottage cheese at first but you want to get it flowing freely. The massage can be quite sore but it does work. It may be necessary to have a few baths to completely clear the blockage. After each bath apply a cold compress. In between baths pump using heat first (hot water bottle) to stimulate the milk flow as a cold compress after. Take ibuprofen as you've got inflammation so it'll help. Finally watch your temperature. You've got about 24 hours from the first high temperature before you develop mastitis so you need to act quickly. Also rest is very important. Take it easy over the next few days and try keep to the bed or sofa if you can.

Hopefully you get it sorted soon.
How Strange is offline  
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 06:37   #3709
shortstuff!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Meath
Posts: 532
Hi ladies, I hadn't little boy last Tuesday & exclusively breast fed. He seems very windy which can be quite difficult to get up - even the nurses failed to get it all when I was in Any recommendations of what changes I could make to diet/supplement wise to make milk less gassy? He can get very distressed with it. Thanks
shortstuff! is offline  
Yesterday, 07:39   #3710
How Strange
Registered User
 
How Strange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 5,772
I think wind is fairly normal in the first weeks but some babies are more windy than others. I found putting them up on my shoulder after a feed helped. You also get to see that milk drunk face which is so cute. (Take a photo because it only lasts for a few weeks)

Also a sling or wrap is a godsend in the early days. They're upright so it helps get wind up and they're very close to you so it's comforting.

The tiger in the tree hold is also good. Lie your baby on your left arm so your hand is under his nappy and on his thigh. Then gently swing left to right. Sometimes this was the only thing that worked with my son.

For food the usual culprits are dairy, coffee, chocolate (sorry!). Specifically for me it was onions, hummus and dark green veg.
How Strange is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
Yesterday, 10:10   #3711
cyning
Registered User
 
cyning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kerry
Posts: 2,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by monflat View Post
Just curious as to when the growth spurt s are in bf babies.
Is it around day ten

He was born last Tuesday

Thanks
Night two, 2 weeks, 6 weeks, sleep regression for lots of babies around 4 months... 6 months! They do pass I know that they are exhausting though!
cyning is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Yesterday, 11:18   #3712
shortstuff!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Meath
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by How Strange View Post
I think wind is fairly normal in the first weeks but some babies are more windy than others. I found putting them up on my shoulder after a feed helped. You also get to see that milk drunk face which is so cute. (Take a photo because it only lasts for a few weeks)

Also a sling or wrap is a godsend in the early days. They're upright so it helps get wind up and they're very close to you so it's comforting.

The tiger in the tree hold is also good. Lie your baby on your left arm so your hand is under his nappy and on his thigh. Then gently swing left to right. Sometimes this was the only thing that worked with my son.

For food the usual culprits are dairy, coffee, chocolate (sorry!). Specifically for me it was onions, hummus and dark green veg.
Thanks how strange, we're getting better at winding alright, everything's a learning curve at the moment! Going to a sling meet on Wednesday so hopefully get sorted with a sling soon too

On no not chocolate! I'll avoid all that stuff & keep a food diary (diet has to start soon anyway) to try pin point anything else!
shortstuff! is offline  
Yesterday, 12:03   #3713
effibear
Registered User
 
effibear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstuff! View Post
Thanks how strange, we're getting better at winding alright, everything's a learning curve at the moment! Going to a sling meet on Wednesday so hopefully get sorted with a sling soon too

On no not chocolate! I'll avoid all that stuff & keep a food diary (diet has to start soon anyway) to try pin point anything else!
Working the legs was the only thing that worked for my fella. It does get better, now I just sit him up and then up it comes.
effibear is offline  
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 19:03   #3714
galah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Galway
Posts: 1,916
cycling the legs, the tiger in the tree, and a similar hold where you hold your baby facing out sitting against your tummy (hard to describe). our babba also loves his belly rubbed, check out the "i love you" massage technique on the net, works wonders!

for us it was orange juice and (still is) uncooked dairy products (i can cook with cream n cheese etc, not a bother, but i just need to look at the philadelphia box and baby starts farting...)
galah is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
Today, 09:13   #3715
morebabies
Registered User
 
morebabies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyning View Post
Night two, 2 weeks, 6 weeks, sleep regression for lots of babies around 4 months... 6 months! They do pass I know that they are exhausting though!
just poking my nose in here, that has so far matched my baby's feeding frenzy patterns exactly, explains an awful lot about his fussiness the last while, do you mind me asking how you learned about these growth spurts?
morebabies is offline  
Today, 09:55   #3716
cyning
Registered User
 
cyning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kerry
Posts: 2,153
I've just spent the last half hour trying to figure that out: i think just forums like this one the wonder weeks app/book is what a lot of people use it explains all the leaps which usually coincide with non stop feeding too!
cyning is offline  
Thanks from:
Today, 10:02   #3717
mrspostman
pain in the nawnee
 
mrspostman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: the nest
Posts: 998
Yeah the wonder weeks app is fantastic, it explains every leap in detail so you know what to expect. €1.50 well spent!
mrspostman is online now  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet