Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burzum "live"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

This guy is a ****head

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

He gets away with a lot. I mean yeah he brought something new to the table but I can't help but think Emperor's New Clothes syndrome abounds among a lot of his musical efforts. That said I like the technologically primitivist, anti-production ethos of old black metal, metal nowadays, especially Kerrang/Scuzz metal is horribly overproduced/synthetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I can't help but think Emperor's New Clothes syndrome abounds among a lot of his musical efforts.

Bar his synthsh1te, I don't think you can say that about his stuff.

He has about 6 great albums in Burzum, Det, Hvis, Filosofem, Belus, Fallen.

Maybe, personally you might think so, but the black metal world love his output and his high level of quality.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Bar his synthsh1te, I don't think you can say that about his stuff.

He has about 6 great albums in Burzum, Det, Hvis, Filosofem, Belus, Fallen.

Maybe, personally you might think so, but the black metal world love his output and his high level of quality.

I agree Burzum have released some very good stuff.
    He isn't shy about borrowing riffs though .......

Sounds very very like "War" from the first album to me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

In his defence , not the first person to rob from Bathory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

horgan_p wrote: »
    In his defence , not the first person to rob from Bathory.

You 'learn' from the best :D

And yeah, that is very like War...

But look where we brought his music to with Hvis and Filosofem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

That said I like the technologically primitivist, anti-production ethos of old black metal, metal nowadays, especially Kerrang/Scuzz metal is horribly overproduced/synthetic.

Credit a lot of the classic "cold" black metal sound to Erik Hundvin, much of the building blocks of the genre came out of the Grieghallen studios in 1991-94. That and Fenriz's four-track aka Necrohell studios:D

It went to **** when bands started getting signed to bigger labels like Nuclear Blast and got bigger budgets to go to fancier studios, getting female backing vocalists and hiring orchestras.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Credit a lot of the classic "cold" black metal sound to Erik Hundvin, much of the building blocks of the genre came out of the Grieghallen studios in 1991-94. That and Fenriz's four-track aka Necrohell studios:D

It went to **** when bands started getting signed to bigger labels like Nuclear Blast and got bigger budgets to go to fancier studios, getting female backing vocalists and hiring orchestras.

Agreed, there was a lot of atmosphere on the early records, primitivist and cold/pagan. That said, when I heard Hvis Lyset tar oss I thought he was taking the piss with the vocals, even with Filosofem it sounds like ass which was what he was going for and it does have a certain thing going for it but at the same time I think Mayhem nailed that combination between a raw sound and having some quality control standards on Mysterious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

He deserves epic trolling ...he makes Nugent look like ****ing Gandhi, Desmond Tutu and Luther rolled into one.

He is a racist piece of cr*p.

If he was actually could I would simply enjoy the music. But HE IS ****! Det Som Engang Var is the only song that is only half way decent. HALF WAY decent.

You can't get away with being such a dick with one half way decent song. No.

Ted Nugent level cr*p for Ted Nugent Level talent I can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭badabing106

"Hvis lyset tar oss" and "Filosofem" are considered stone cold classic albums in the "Metal" genre. They are completely unique and genre defining albums

You might not like oscar pistorious or varg vikernes because they are convicted murderers but you cannot deny that they were extremely talented and excelled in their chosen fields.

• Advertisement
Advertisement