Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forge/Java problem

• 08-08-2014 7:35pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy,
    Never posted here, but then I'm 42 and Minecraft is just a big WTF most of the time.
    For my 11 year old though, it is life itself.

So, he was playing various variants of Minecraft and wanted to go back to playing Forge based mods.

No problem says I.

I download the latest version, select the Forge ID in the launcher and....
    Nothing.
    Dumped back at the launcher :(

I download an earlier version of Forge... same again.

I update Java.... nothing

I update Java to 1.8.... nada

Help me here!

Help me be a hero to my boy!

It definitely seems to be a Java issue, at least that's what the logs indicate.

Can anyone confirm the best version of Java to run for Minecraft/Forge?

Bear in mind that the regular game runs just fine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭mindstorms

What version of Minecraft are you using - 1.6.4 would be recommended
    What version of Forge are you using - I would recommend 1.6.4-Latest 9.11.1.965

Here's what you could try.

Start the launcher
    Go to the Profile Editor tab
    Remove any existing forge entries (right click the profile - delete profile)
    Create a new 1.6.4 profile (lower left, new profile)
    Profile name - 164
    Ensure "Enable experimental development versions ("snapshots") is un-checked (just for now)
    From the "Use Version" select "Release 1.6.4"
    Click "Save Profile"

Select the 164 profile
    Start Minecraft (to download the 1.6.4 jar) and once the game launches, quit.

Download forge "Installer" for 1.6.4
    Run the forge installer - it will prompt you to either select Install client, server or extract
    Select Install Client and after it runs, start the Minecraft launcher again
    You should now have a Forge profile.

If that is there, select it and start Minecraft.
    It should run with only three mods added (the default mods) as you have nothing in your mods folder.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

1.8? Latest version of Java is (1.)7.67 - and for Forge nowadays you really need to have 64-bit Java installed even if your other apps all live off regular Java x86.

If you're talking about Minecraft itself, then... most mods are only at 1.64 at this point, with 1.7 mods still in development. Modded 1.8 is a loooooong way off! :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nope, it's 1.8, you can get it straight from the Java site. If you rely on the built in updater it'll go as far as the one you mention.
    I have it running thanks to the helpful answer previously.
    The latest version of Forge isn't happy to run but 1.7.2 eons just fine following the instructions described.
    Thanks very much Mindstorm.

Advertisement