Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep forgetting to look in my Mirrors!!!!!!!

• 08-01-2013 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭pm123

I've been driving for a little over a year; I did my 12 EDTs, then took a test which I failed; then did a couple more lessons; now I have my second test next week, and I'm not very confident that I'll pass it. I've been out on the road practicing so much, but I still am forgetting to look in my mirrors and observe. I suppose I'm quite a nervous driver... I look ahead and see a sign to say, turn left, then I immediately indicate left without checking both mirrors first... And then when I indicate I always say 'damn I never checked my mirrors.' So frustrating... I feel that I'm always out practicing but I've picked up some nasty habits I think that are really HARD to shake - like I always rest my foot on the clutch even when I'm not using it - just to be ready for a gear change or sudden stop... and the mirrors thing, etc...

I really need and want my test and really need to drive. I'm good, but probably not where I need to be for next week. FML :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Get someone in the car saying; mirrors, mirrors, mirrors a lot. Try keep that to the front of your mind. Try sticking / hanging something on the mirrors to catch your attention.

I used to be bad enough for checking mirrors til I nearly hit someone (ok slight exaggeration, did get beeped at) when changing lanes and he was in my blind spot.
    It's really not just a formality, remember that there could be cyclists or people or cars right there beside you at any moment. Even if you're driving down what appears to be a clear empty road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

You need to associate them together more. Learn this sequence off by heart for turning left (right is the same, just subsitute the word)

Left Mirror
    Left signal
    Centre mirror
    Brake Gently (includes gear changes)
    Position
    Look into the new road
    Left mirror
    Turn

Always try to remember left mirror, left signal or right mirror, right signal. Get someone to repeat that to you as you approach a turn eg.

"Take the next turn on the left"
    "Left mirror" they should pause at this point so that you look in your mirror, if you don't they should repeat "left mirror" then when you've glanced into it they should say "left signal"

Try it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭pm123

Ah I don't have TIME to be remembering poems and letters and phrases and terms off in my head. So much to think about in a split second whilst driving. MIRRORS - SIGNAL. That's all I've been told to remember and I can't even remember that :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Make time.
    Make the effort.
    Make the tester testify to your terrific test was a certificate of competency.

OK. I'm not Yeats. But I'm pleased with the consonance and the simple truth of the advice. :). Mascot's mantra is a good tool. Try it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

pm123 wrote: »
    Ah I don't have TIME to be remembering poems and letters and phrases and terms off in my head. So much to think about in a split second whilst driving. MIRRORS - SIGNAL. That's all I've been told to remember and I can't even remember that :confused:

Excuse me for being blunt but you're going to have to make time. It's your test and your licence. You have to take control of the errors you've admitted to making.

You asked for advice and have received gotten some pretty good advice. Think about what you CAN do about it rather than what you can't do.

You'll find if you follow my advice in my previous post you'll start to do it without think, it'll become instinctive. I get pupils in my car most weeks who don't use the mirrors when they should. Once I start repeating the sequence on the approach to every turn they pick it up very quickly, normally by the end of the lesson. It does work!

Also, you said you need to think about things at a split second. That's not the way you should be driving, you need to plan ahead not simply drive second by second. You'll end up having to reacting to situations instead of anticipating them and ensuring/doing your best to avoid a situation occurring

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

This'll probably sound silly, but lately whenever I'm walking somewhere, I'll pretend I'm in a car. You should try it. Pretend you have mirrors and signals and all that jazz - it's a lot easier when you're not in the car trying to remember everything at once. Then when it becomes habit, you're golden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭J_R

This'll probably sound silly, but lately whenever I'm walking somewhere, I'll pretend I'm in a car. You should try it. Pretend you have mirrors and signals and all that jazz - it's a lot easier when you're not in the car trying to remember everything at once. Then when it becomes habit, you're golden.

Sorry, but keep getting a mental image if a little old lady walking down O'Connell street using an imaginary steering wheel to steer around obstacles going vrooom , vroom, beep beep and with the odd verbal outbreak :):)

Re whilst in a car

Do not do anything without checking the main mirror (Interior) first. Changing gears, braking, indicating, switching on lights, etc.

The moment you see anything, that could in any way possible constitute a hazard, check your main mirror. (Hazard = anything that will force you to change speed or direction)

In the test, the moment the examiner speaks, check the main mirror. then if it is a change of direction, check the appropriate side mirror.

And practice using the mirrors. Give a look in the mirror, look ahead and then ask yourself what did you see. How many cras, how close was the nearest, etc etc. Keep practising until you can absorb everything relevant in a quick glance.

And in a car you must make time to check your mirrors. More than likely if you do not have time it is because you are driving at what you perceive to be "Test" speed. Slow down, give yourself time, then you can speed up again when you have mastered the mirrors.

Advertisement