Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applying for C/C1 provisional, questions

• 15-06-2007 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

I am applying for a C/C1 provisional licence next week, and I shall renew my full B licence at the same time. Couple of questions have arisen.

1. On the medical report should I tick anything other than C/C1 ? Do I need to tick B?

2. On the full licence form it says certain questions do not need answering if the application is accompanied by a medical report. Does the medical report for the provisional C/C1 cover me here?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bond-007 wrote:
    1. On the medical report should I tick anything other than C/C1 ? Do I need to tick B?
    No.
    Bond-007 wrote:
    2. On the full licence form it says certain questions do not need answering if the application is accompanied by a medical report. Does the medical report for the provisional C/C1 cover me here?
    No, the renewal for the B is a seperate form and license. The medical report applies to the application for the C/C1 provisional only. You will have two licenses, a full B and a provisional C/C1.

Bond-007, be sure to do the C test, not the C1 test. If you pass the C, you will automatically get the C1. If you do the C1 test, you will also have to do the C if you wish to drive a heavier truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thanks for that. :)

I take it that very few schools do C1 lessons?

Bond-007 wrote:
    I take it that very few schools do C1 lessons?
    I think Alexander may do it but i'm not sure. It's generally considered a waste of time and money.

It used to be possible to do a C1 without any previous driving experience but that avenue of pleasure was brought to an end several years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Are you allowed to hold a provisional C and C1 simultaneously? Just completing the application form and I don't want to mess it up.

Another thing I noticed:

C1 is goods vehicles over 3500kg and under 7500kg, and
    C is goods vehicles over 3500kg

Now are you allowed to do a C test in a truck that falls with the C1 limits?

Thanks

Bond-007 wrote:
    Are you allowed to hold a provisional C and C1 simultaneously?
    Yes.
    Bond-007 wrote:
    C1 is goods vehicles over 3500kg and under 7500kg, and
    C is goods vehicles over 3500kg

Now are you allowed to do a C test in a truck that falls with the C1 limits?
    No, a C test must be done in a rigid truck at least 10 tonnes in weight, at least 7 metres long and capable of a speed of at least 80kph.

• Advertisement

Threads merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

It used to be possible to do a C1 without any previous driving experience but that avenue of pleasure was brought to an end several years ago.
    So what's the point? Why does it exist? Is there any benefit to a C1 over a C?

Presumably this is the same for categories D/D1?

Richie15 wrote:
    So what's the point? Why does it exist? Is there any benefit to a C1 over a C?
    Well, if it didn't, I suppose people would complain that they shouldn't have to do a test in a large rigid truck just to be able to legally drive a heavy van.

(Some very large US 4x4s also require a C1 licence if driven here)
    Richie15 wrote:
    Presumably this is the same for categories D/D1?
    Yes. A lot of drivers are required to have a D1 minibus license for their work but would see a large bus license as being unnecessary. Many people do a D1 test (minibus) not realising that they can go from a car to a large bus. There is also the case of the large numbers of drivers who have passed the D test but are restricted to driving automatics (e.g. Dublin Bus/Bus Eireann drivers). These drivers will get a D1 with their license but that will also be restricted to autos. As there are very few automatic minibuses (I've never seen one) they would be required to resit the test in D1 to obtain an unrestricted license.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pauldun

could somebody please explain to me something i have a C1 lic and i and doing a c test through fas but i recived a letter asking me to bring my full b licence and my provisional C with me for them to see it , does my c1 cover me as a provisional for a C licence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

pauldun wrote: »
    could somebody please explain to me something i have a C1 lic and i and doing a c test through fas but i recived a letter asking me to bring my full b licence and my provisional C with me for them to see it , does my c1 cover me as a provisional for a C licence

No, you have to apply for a C learner Permit. Your full C1 has nothing to do with a C permit, you won't have to do another truck theory though.

• Advertisement

thanks faith+1 for that bit of info i never did the truck theory as i had an english licence witch i exchanged for a irish 1 some years ago but i have been told by the tax office that i have to do a theory test before i can get a learner permit ?

thanks faith+1 for that bit of info i never did the truck theory as i had an english licence witch i exchanged for a irish 1 some years ago but i have been told by the tax office that i have to do a theory test before i can get a learner permit ?

Yeah that changes things alright. Since you swapped you UK licence for an Irish one you'll be required to do the theory I'm afraid :(.

Did you have to submit a medical cert when you exchanged your licence?

yes i did and i have been told i have to submit another 1 as it doe,s not have 2 yrs left on it

yes i did and i have been told i have to submit another 1 as it doe,s not have 2 yrs left on it

That's a weird situation all right. :o

Advertisement