Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance under named driver

Options
  • 08-01-2013 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

i will be turning 17 this may . i want to get insured on my dads van but beliver you cannot be a named driver on a van if your under 25? is there anyway to get around this as the quote i got to get insured on it was €4000! my mum has driving instructor insurance i belive i cannot get insured on that either unless im over 25 ,is this correct? i need transport as my hobby relies on it and it means i have to expect someone else to cart me around... anyway sorry for the noob questions,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Once you get your learner permit you can drive your mother's driving school car with her in it. This can be done with no extra insurance as you would be driving under her instructor insurance. Driving any vehicle on your own can't legally be done until you pass a driving test. Which would be at least November.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

ADIDriving wrote: »
    Once you get your learner permit you can drive your mother's car with her in it. This can be done with no extra insurance as you would be driving under her instructor insurance. Driving any vehicle on your own can't legally be done until you pass a driving test. Which would be at least November.

Is this really true? I though that if you were to drive any car regardless of whether you were accompanied or not you would have to put on the car owner's insurance as a named driver, before you could even drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Sir123 wrote: »
    Is this really true? I though that if you were to drive any car regardless of whether you were accompanied or not you would have to put on the car owner's insurance as a named driver, before you could even drive it.

Normally, you would (excluding third party extension), but this is a bit of a special case as the OPs mother is a driving instructor.

Because of this, the instructors insurance covers the OP for driving that car when accompanied by his mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Sir123 wrote: »
    Assuming that this would be in their mother's driving school car (Which I will ad to the previous statement for clarity). Any 'un-named' student is insured in a driving school car for the purpose of lessons and tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

Normally, you would (excluding third party extension), but this is a bit of a special case as the OPs mother is a driving instructor.

Because of this, the instructors insurance covers the OP for driving that car when accompanied by his mother.

Sorry, missed that part. Thanks for clearing that up. I completely understand now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

i will be turning 17 this may . i want to get insured on my dads van but beliver you cannot be a named driver on a van if your under 25?

There would also be an issue if the Dad"s van is taxed and insured for Commercial Only use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tootyfruity

thanks guys , cant bring my mum with me everywhere though lol

what do you mean by that ,motor-ed ? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

[

There would also be an issue if the Dad"s van is taxed and insured for Commercial Only use.[/QUOTE]

If the vehicle is commercially taxed and insured then it may not be possible to be insured in it for "social and domestic" purposes
    A document is signed and stamped at a Garda Station saying vehicle is for Commercial use. You then get "cheaper" road tax and the vehicle has to have Commercial (work related) insurance

Advertisement