Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would Family Guy get on under Irish law?

Options
  • 08-08-2010 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

I just read a very interesting article (came across it in my hunt for thesis material, anything to get off topic!) about a couple of recent lawsuits involving the creators of Family Guy. Carol Burnett and Bourne Co. have both tried to sue the show in the past few years for copyright infringement, as you can see from this article:

http://online-animated-films.suite101.com/article.cfm/wish_upon_a_star_lawsuit_thrown_out

It's funny, just the other day my friends and I were watching the show and remarking how amazing it is that they get away with so much! Apparently not as much as we thought. Anyway in both cases FG got away with it because their use of the copyright material was deemed fair use per S107 of the US Copyright Act. However, having looked quickly at the Irish Copyright Act 2000 I'm not sure FG would get away with it if they were sued in this country! I can't see how changing the song "Wish Upon A Star" to "Wish Upon A Weinstein" would come under the defences of criticism, review, reporting, etc!

I always thought the Irish were far better at taking a joke than the Americans, but it appears this is not reflected in our copyright law! Does anyone know of any cases where a p*ss take like those done in Family Guy has been the subject of a case for copyright infringement in this jurisdiction? Would they get away with it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Our libel laws in general are a joke and need widespread reform. Its getting harder and harder for critics and satirists to criticise and satirize. Though I wouldn't categories Family as either satirists or critics.

Advertisement