Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to extend UPC cable

Options
  • 23-07-2015 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Due to a change in positioning of devices, I need to extend a UPC cable in the house. Normally, this is very simple...however in this case, I'll need to physically cut the cable (as the cable goes off to somewhere not accessible), & join on new cable. I understand I need to use decent quality cable (CT100 or WT100), but I'm looking for advice on the best way to join new cable onto a cut cable - what connectors should I use, & if there's any advice on where to pick them up that'd be great.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Myrddin wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Due to a change in positioning of devices, I need to extend a UPC cable in the house. Normally, this is very simple...however in this case, I'll need to physically cut the cable (as the cable goes off to somewhere not accessible), & join on new cable. I understand I need to use decent quality cable (CT100 or WT100), but I'm looking for advice on the best way to join new cable onto a cut cable - what connectors should I use, & if there's any advice on where to pick them up that'd be great.

Cheers

Not sure if it's just not possible but I'd suggest not cutting the existing cable and just buying the additional RG6 (perfectly fine for short to medium runs) and using push on F connectors and an F join piece to connect both sets if that can be dobe, the reason I'd suggest not cutting the UPC cable or using the higher quality cable is that it can be thicker due to the additional shielding so push on connectors can be difficult to get on fully (I use compression connectors on the thicker cable). You can pick up RG6 and the push on connectors and join in any hardware store but not sure about the compression tool and connectors, I know u can pick up on freetv.ie or satworld.ie. Anyway that's my two cents, not aufay with the signal degredation on UPC signals from the tap so there is a chance that the excess on the existing UPC run combined with the additional cable may cause too much signal loss so will defer to the more knowledgeable on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Cheers for that Dave. Due to the layout of the cabling, I have to cut it & feed it into the room from an alternate location, rather than just extending (the current end point of the cable doesn't at all lend itself to just being extended across the room unfortunately). Good points re the thickness of the existing cable, & the difficulty associated with fitting new connectors, I hadn't thought of that so will be sure to double check (I guess I can test it out at the end of the current wire before I cut). The new run will actually be shorter than it is currently, so there shouldn't be any issues with degradation etc.

So in that instance, I need two male 'f' connectors, & a female 'f' connector to bridge them, is that correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Dave..M wrote: »
    Not sure if it's just not possible but I'd suggest not cutting the existing cable and just buying the additional RG6 (perfectly fine for short to medium runs) and using push on F connectors and an F join piece to connect both sets if that can be dobe, the reason I'd suggest not cutting the UPC cable or using the higher quality cable is that it can be thicker due to the additional shielding so push on connectors can be difficult to get on fully ...

They aren't 'push on', you twist/screw them onto the cable. You'll probably need pliers to grip them, or if they're really tight, see if you can find a type with a slightly bigger opening for the cable. (With the opposite applying to connectors with an overly loose fit.)

Some people also use grease to aid in fitting.

So two of these & one of these should do the trick?
    Thurston? wrote: »
    They aren't 'push on', you twist/screw them onto the cable. You'll probably need pliers to grip them, or if they're really tight, see if you can find a type with a slightly bigger opening for the cable. (With the opposite applying to connectors with an overly loose fit.)

Some people also use grease to aid in fitting.

Push-on ones listed here, though I'm not sure how they work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

So two of these & one of these should do the trick?

Hopefully, provided the connectors are a good fit for the cable.
    Push-on ones listed here, though I'm not sure how they work?

The push-on part is the end that connects to the tuner/joiner/whatever, not the end that goes on the cable. (This 1 is just an adapter that screws into the 'standard' f-connector.) I think UPC use a connector like this that doesn't need an adapter, or have anyway.

• Advertisement

Thurston? wrote: »
    The push-on part is the end that connects to the tuner/joiner/whatever, not the end that goes on the cable. I think UPC use a version of these, or have anyway.

Ah yes, I know the ones you're talking about. Like a little spring loaded tensioner or something in them, & they actually provide a very decent connection.

All done, two f-connectors & an f coupler, some rg6 & viola. Thanks folks

Advertisement