Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car insurance with 1 endorsement

Options
  • 02-12-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

hello, would anybody have an idea if i would get insured on a 1.9tdi vw bora 90bhp.. im 24 was banned off the road from aug 2009 - 2011 for drink driving. i only recently got my provisional back and will be going for the full licence in a few weeks to try bring the insurance down...

Q 1 - will i be able to get insurance on the 1.9tdi non modified
    Q 2 - wouldgoing as a named driver be a better option
    Q 3 - any rough ideas on the price of insurance on the 1.9 with an endorsement at 24, with full licence, 2nd time insurance , i havnt got a no claims bonus

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Your best bet to get a certain quote would be a company like XS Direct who will insure pretty much anyone on anything, but given the huge excess it is pretty much just a piece of paper in the window to keep you legal and very little else in terms of cover.

Ring around every broker you can find and see what they can come up with. Try the insurers too (call as you most likely wont get a quote from the online system) but a broker would probably have a better chance of getting you a better quote.

Im not sure about the tdi Bora; I have been told that they are starting to get a reputation with insurers but I dont know how true that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Still on the learner permit, endorsement, 24, no no claims bounses

Would be better off on the bus mate. Price will be madness

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ron28688

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Still on the learner permit, endorsement, 24, no no claims bounses

Would be better off on the bus mate. Price will be madness

im going for the full license in a few weeks, i wouldnt dream of trying to get insured on a learners permit with an endorsement, especially not on a 1.9

djimi wrote: »
    Your best bet to get a certain quote would be a company like XS Direct who will insure pretty much anyone on anything, but given the huge excess it is pretty much just a piece of paper in the window to keep you legal and very little else in terms of cover.

Ring around every broker you can find and see what they can come up with. Try the insurers too (call as you most likely wont get a quote from the online system) but a broker would probably have a better chance of getting you a better quote.

Im not sure about the tdi Bora; I have been told that they are starting to get a reputation with insurers but I dont know how true that is.

would i get a no claims bonus from xs direct do you know?

ron28688 wrote: »
    would i get a no claims bonus from xs direct do you know?

Yeah they operate like a normal insurance company; only difference is that the excess is so high (usually €3k-€4k on most policies) that there is relatively little risk to themselves so they can afford to take on higher risk clients and offer cheaper quotes than the mainstream companies. If you are driving a cheap car that you can afford to walk away from in the event of requiring a claim then a company like XS Direct could prove to be a relatively inexpensive (compared to the main insurers) way of building up a NCB and clean record for a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

It will be several thousands.

I know of someone who got a drink driving conviction several years ago, and he's still getting ridden with insurance quotes in the thousands.

Your infringement is fresher and you're younger than him. It'll be mental money.

BTW, it's liable to follow you around like a bad smell for the next 5-7 years. You'll be paying for this for a while.

I thought you only had to declare endorcements for something like 3 years?

yeah i checked it out it is only 3 years. will i have to phone xs direct to tell them about the endorsement or is the quote they give me through the site a valid one?

Did the quote you got from their site ask about endorcements or did you just fill out the quick quote thingy on the front page?

Advertisement