Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E60 523i... Dipstick

• 29-11-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Am I right in thinking that some e60s don't have a dipstick and it is idrive info only?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Affirmative

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

mloc123 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that some e60s don't have a dipstick and it is idrive info only?

My father has a 2006 523i and there is none. BMW got rid of them in late 2005, you just have to believe the OBC. They require a litre approx every 1200 miles at normal driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

DAZP93 wrote: »

My father has a 2006 523i and there is none. BMW got rid of them in late 2005, you just have to believe the OBC. They require a litre approx every 1200 miles at normal driving

Cheers. You have also put my mind at ease, got a warning message tonight after 2000miles that I need to put a litre in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

My 335i has no dipstick either and uses a sensor with info on the dash. IMO, not a very smart move (on the owner's behalf) by BMW as sensors have a nasty habit of failing and then where are you? In a dealers getting a new one installed and if you had the normal dipstick as backup, people wouldn't bother getting the sensor fixed ;)

I don't like the idea of relying on the OBC myself, when the warning came on my first reaction was... I must check the dipstick to make sure it is not a sensor issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

My last 3 cars have had sensors for the oil level, in all 3 cases after the first 2 weeks ive never used the dipstick in any of them. Ive never had a sensor problem either.

pred racer wrote: »
    My last 3 cars have had sensors for the oil level, in all 3 cases after the first 2 weeks ive never used the dipstick in any of them. Ive never had a sensor problem either.

But at least you had the dipstick back-up in case anything did go wrong with the sensor ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Anyone else look at the title of this thread and think something else?

But I wouldn't like a sensor. Give both. Sensor is handy to have, but I would like to be able to check it manually also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Pain in the ass when your servicing them to be honest. Give me a dipstick instead.

But at least you had the dipstick back-up in case anything did go wrong with the sensor ;)
    Very true, I was just trying to give ye some assurance that they dont seem to give trouble ( on french and Italian cars anyway;) )
    Mech1 wrote: »
    Pain in the ass when your servicing them to be honest. Give me a dipstick instead.

True!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Can the iDrive service indicators be reset without actually performing the service?

rocky wrote: »
    Can the iDrive service indicators be reset without actually performing the service?

Well unless the car becomes self-aware like Cybernet, I'd say you can :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

on idrive they have "special" brake pad wear indicators. They wear down along with the pads and must be replaced before warning will reset.

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/display/tech/Brake+pad+wear+sensor+testing+BMW+5+Series+E60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,719 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They require a litre approx every 1200 miles at normal driving

I doubt that. A leak or something seriously wrong with the engine (or a VW 1.4 :p) would need frequent top ups like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 neglectarino

unkel wrote: »

I doubt that. A leak or something seriously wrong with the engine (or a VW 1.4 :p) would need frequent top ups like that

I brought my e60 back to a main dealer with a similar complaint while under warranty and while I can't remember the exact tolerances, I was left with the impression that kind of oil consumption was normal. It's a complete pain in a$$ though, especially coming from a low maintenance Civic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

My E60 petrol uses a litre of oil every 2500 kms.

Well unless the car becomes self-aware like Cybernet, I'd say you can :pac:

It's just that many BMW ads have photos of the iDrive showing next service due in 15000 km, but that's no guarantee the oil has been changed, and you can't assess the oil quality by any other means..

That's pretty shocking, lads. Can't say I'm au-fait with the current generations of the BMW straight 6, but the ones in the 00s and 90s surely did not consume oil. I don't think I ever needed to top up my E39 520i between services...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Its one thing I dont like about alot of modern cars, an apparent over complication of things that are not needed as far as I can see. Why on earth was the dipstick removed from these cars. :confused: Id vote for sensor + dipstick.

Oh wait sorry..we are all imagining this oil consumtion, please continue telling us all about BMW's :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Oh wait sorry..we are all imagining this oil consumtion, please continue telling us all about BMW's :rolleyes:
    A litre every 1200 miles is far too high for a healthy (four stroke) engine, regardless of what BMW may have you believe.

Anan1 wrote: »
    A litre every 1200 miles is far too high for a healthy (four stroke) engine, regardless of what BMW may have you believe.

Just google it buddy..I can assure you this issue is not just related to 4 or 5 boards users;) Although I do see where your coming from!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Just google it buddy..I can assure you this issue is not just related to 4 or 5 boards users;) Although I do see where your coming from!
    You appear to be confusing 'common' with 'acceptable'.

If it's in the manual, it's acceptable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

My 335i has no dipstick either and uses a sensor with info on the dash. IMO, not a very smart move (on the owner's behalf) by BMW as sensors have a nasty habit of failing and then where are you? In a dealers getting a new one installed and if you had the normal dipstick as backup, people wouldn't bother getting the sensor fixed ;)

its a briliant idea, just the matter of which point of view you look at it! :pac:

its a briliant idea, just the matter of which point of view you look at it! :pac:

Yah, a brilliant idea until it fails on you and knowing how the majority of Irish people treat their cars, they will wait ages before getting it fixed and to be honest, if they did have a dipstick, they probably still wouldn't bother checking it :rolleyes:

Yah, a brilliant idea until it fails on you and knowing how the majority of Irish people treat their cars, they will wait ages before getting it fixed and to be honest, if they did have a dipstick, they probably still wouldn't bother checking it :rolleyes:

like i said, " certain point of view"

like i said, " certain point of view"

Oh you mean a LithuCorkian point of view? i.e. skewed beyond belief? :pac:

Oh you mean a LithuCorkian point of view? i.e. skewed beyond belief? :pac:

Jaysus, did you had some "thick" juice this morning, or the last normal brain cell finally turned in to BMW driver brain cell? :D

No dipstick, so "dipstick" can't check oil levels, sensor eventually goes boom and engine destroys itself with no lubrication. So where does "dipstick" goes when that happens? In to BMW dealership.
    So like I said, it's a brilliant idea, but from BMW point of view, not a consumer! Jaysus, some thick young lads we get these days! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Ardent

I have an 523i also. A litre of oil every so often is indeed normal.

rocky wrote: »
    If it's in the manual, it's acceptable :)

What exactly does it state about levels of oil consumption in the manual?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

My 325 needs about 500ml every 1000 miles or so. Up to a litre per 1000 miles is supposed to be considered "grand" from what I have read.

The old 160k miles e34 (520i) I had used none over 4000 miles.

RoverJames wrote: »
    The old 160k miles e34 (520i) I had used none over 4000 miles.

You weren't driving it properly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Pretty normal for the M54 engines to use such a large amount of oil. I drive an M52b25tu and it doesn't use a drop of oil, in fact I have had two and neither ever required an oil top up between services. The M54 equivalent is well known to use up to 1L / 1000 miles. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Advertisement

So this evening idrive is not complaining about the level. When I checked the screen it was half way between min and max so I put 500ml in... If only I had a dipstick to confirm :rolleyes:

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Pretty normal for the M54 engines to use such a large amount of oil. The M54 equivalent is well known to use up to 1L / 1000 miles. I wouldn't worry about it.

Perhaps some / many owners are reporting this, but I simply can not accept this as normal. I'd put my money on any M54 using oil like that, that it has been abused and / or improperly maintained (or there's a leak :D)

BTW here's the E60 manual. UK version, we get identical cars over here. As I suspected, there is no mention of normal oil usage in the manual, like some owners are falsely claiming in this thread.

Perhaps some / many owners are reporting this, but I simply can not accept this as normal. I'd put my money on any M54 using oil like that, that it has been abused and / or improperly maintained (or there's a leak :D)

BTW here's the E60 manual. UK version, we get identical cars over here. As I suspected, there is no mention of normal oil usage in the manual, like some owners are falsely claiming in this thread.

Your ignorance is impeccable..have you been practicing..?

They require a litre approx every 1200 miles at normal driving

Who says, your daddy?

It certainly doesn't say so in the manual.
    Your ignorance is impeccable..

There might be a difference between a badly designed and / or manufactured engine and an engine that is failing because it was treated badly.

Perhaps some people are blaming the manufacturer of their engine for their own failure of buying a lemon?

Who is the ignoramus now? ;)

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The owners manual for my Porsche says 1.5 litre of oil per 1000km.

Maybe it is cos the engine in your Porsche is a VW? :p

Pretty shocking as that admittance in the manual is, the owners manual for a BMW E60 does not say anything about oil usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

So 5k miles and the engine would be completely dry? That's not normal, it's completely unacceptable.

You weren't driving it properly :D

It averaged about 23 mpg for me so I think it wad driven very properly indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I discussed this issue with one of the mechanics in Courtney Motors. He said it was very common with that engine but that didn't necessarily mean it should be like that.
    From what I could gather from the conversation, it's a design issue that means the engines need to be topped up a little bit more regularly than they should be.
    There's also a fix for it but it's ridiculously expensive. Can't remember the ins and outs of it, it was over two years ago when we talked about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

My e90 325i would have similar consumption levels. When I got the car first I had it checked out by the garage and they said it was within tolerance levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Mine needs around a 1L every 5-6000kms.

ongarite wrote: »

I would call that consumption normal, all the others excessive, and I dont give a hoot what Bmw say.
    You guys do realise that thats Bmw's standard answer to any query about something a bit odd;)

ongarite wrote: »

That's the equivalent of one top-up in the middle of a 10k-12k service interval. Just about acceptable imho.

That's the equivalent of one top-up in the middle of a 10k-12k service interval. Just about acceptable imho.

Nobody cares about your "Humple Opinion"..we are s**t sick of it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nobody cares about your "Humple Opinion"..we are s**t sick of it!!

People are entitled to their opinions, as are you. If you have a problem with that, may i suggest you go elsewhere.

Do not reply to this post on thread, PM if you wish to discuss.

It appears it's not in the manual... But many people report that BMW say it's normal to consume up to 1L/600 miles, and are not taking a look at the engine below that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement