Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tdi nct test disclaimer

• 03-12-2012 12:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭

Is it true they make you sign a disclaimer when you bring in a diesel car ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭alo1587

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yes, it's in case the engine goes wallop when they're testing the exhaust emissions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

I've heard it, it's in the NCT manual, but I was given nothing to sign when I tested mine in October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

This would be the one about the timing belt.... I'd wonder about that disclaimer..... One would assume that NCTS would still be liable for their employees negligence despite the disclaimer. Has anybody ever actually read one? What does it say?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What's the difference between testing a diesel and a petrol for emissions?

is it that diesels have lower revs and the nct rev the bejasus out of them?

MugMugs wrote: »
    This would be the one about the timing belt.... I'd wonder about that disclaimer..... One would assume that NCTS would still be liable for their employees negligence despite the disclaimer. Has anybody ever actually read one? What does it say?

Revving the engine wouldn't usually wreck it, it's just to save bother I reckon. It would make any case against the nct pretty weak.

Diesels have rev limiters anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Stheno wrote: »
    What's the difference between testing a diesel and a petrol for emissions?

is it that diesels have lower revs and the nct rev the bejasus out of them?

Smoke test as opposed to hc and ppm. They bring the engine up to its redline to test that.

I know when mine goes for it's test, I'll make sure it won't rev above 3k rpm. They won't be rebuilding it if it goes wallop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

I think it just states you are agreeing the car is in a fit state to be tested and the timing belt has been replaced in accordance with the manufacturer recommendations. In other words if it snaps while they are revving the crap out of it it not there problem

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dgt wrote: »
    Smoke test as opposed to hc and ppm. They bring the engine up to its redline to test that.

I know when mine goes for it's test, I'll make sure it won't rev above 3k rpm. They won't be rebuilding it if it goes wallop!

And they don't smoke test the petrols?

• Advertisement

It's a smoke opacity test that the rev the engines hard for. Doesn't apply to petrols

And they don't smoke test the petrols?

Well petrols don't produce clouds of black smoke (:pac:)

Petrols steam when cold but shouldn't smoke. Otherwise something is radically wrong!

Well petrols don't produce clouds of black smoke (:pac:)

Petrols steam when cold but shouldn't smoke. Otherwise something is radically wrong!

DUH! Sorry, having a stupid day :) Too used to petrols and don't pay attentions to diesels.

Must watch out when stuck in traffic behind a diesel (with the windows closed :) )

If it's the diesel you are referring to than they won't pass it :)
    MugMugs wrote: »

How are they being negligent ?

DUH! Sorry, having a stupid day :) Too used to petrols and don't pay attentions to diesels.

Must watch out when stuck in traffic behind a diesel (with the windows closed :) )

Not to worry! :)

Generally diesels don't smoke much anymore, much cleaner emissions and rarely a puff of smoke from them :)

Except mine :pac::pac:

RoverJames wrote: »
    If it's the diesel you are referring to than they won't pass it :)

There's 2 ways I do this: screw it right down or set the max rev screw really low. All mechanical, done in a few mins :)

Same crack with the DOE, if it can't rev, it can't smoke, it can't fail on that :)

Maybe other centres are different but that's how it is round here...

For the NCT they have to verify the rev limiter works when it should, if it doesn't they stop the test. If it can't rev it won't hit the limiter so you fail ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

There's 2 ways I do this: screw it right down or set the max rev screw really low. All mechanical, done in a few mins :)

Same crack with the DOE, if it can't rev, it can't smoke, it can't fail on that :)

Maybe other centres are different but that's how it is round here...

For the nct, the engine has to rev close to whats in the makers specs or it wont pass, to stop people turning them down for the test:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭GE90

What about newer cars that wont rev above 2.5k to 3k when in park or neutral ?

RoverJames wrote: »
    For the NCT they have to verify the rev limiter works when it should, if it doesn't they stop the test. If it can't rev it won't hit the limiter so you fail ;)
    pred racer wrote: »
    For the nct, the engine has to rev close to whats in the makers specs or it wont pass, to stop people turning them down for the test:pac:

Hmmmm, maybe they were up near the limit and I didn't realise it... Didn't fail so that's all that matters :)

Still didn't stop me turning it down though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

GE90 wrote: »
    What about newer cars that wont rev above 2.5k to 3k when in park or neutral ?

there's a low cut off option for vw's, audi's , bmw's etc , that have a limiter on them. there is a by pass system on vw's and audi's to check whether they have a factory cut off or after market cut off. diesels are not revved to the limiter anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

nct tester wrote: »
    there's a low cut off option for vw's, audi's , bmw's etc , that have a limiter on them. there is a by pass system on vw's and audi's to check whether they have a factory cut off or after market cut off. diesels are not revved to the limiter anyway.

how to by pass that limiter ? on my wifes vw polo diesel, cant rev over 2.5 k, while parked, if start drive, press clutch and rev, then limiter not working.

Advertisement