Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small Opel Insignia problem - warranty?

Options
  • 01-05-2010 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

Hi

Bought an Opel Insignia ecoflex in February. Have seen one or two small teething problems
    1. steering wheels controls acted up one day. eg press the volume button and it took a few seconds before it responded
    2. last night the electric mirrors started acting up
    3. when I drive in a low gear or brake sometimes the steering wheel jerks to one side

Now number 1 hasn't happened since and I have no idea what would be causing number 3. Just wondering would the warranty (2 years) enable me to bring it into the garage I bought it from for a check?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Of course it would. It might be somthing simple like an ECU update for 1 and 2, but 3 could be caused by road conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jo smith

I bought opel isignia ecoflex in may 2010. have been back to dealer 3 times to fix what appear to be computer/software problems e.g false messages in drivers info panel to check oil level , tyre pressure etc . so far not fixed .

any similar problems or fixes out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

What size alloys do you have? The bigger the wheel, the more likely to tramline when slowing.

19" alloys on car. What does "tramline " mean . sounds like a steering problem which thankfully i do not have .

Tramlining is the tendency of a vehicle's wheels to follow the contours in the surface upon which it runs. The term comes from the tendency of a car's wheels to follow the normally recessed rails of street trams, without driver input in the same way that the train does.

Vehicles with large and wide low profile tires are more prone to the effects.

Basically, 19" alloys with low profile tyres = get used to it, it isn't a problem with the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Tragedy wrote: »
    Tramlining is the tendency of a vehicle's wheels to follow the contours in the surface upon which it runs. The term comes from the tendency of a car's wheels to follow the normally recessed rails of street trams, without driver input in the same way that the train does.

Vehicles with large and wide low profile tires are more prone to the effects.

Basically, 19" alloys with low profile tyres = get used to it, it isn't a problem with the car.
    well said

I love wikipedia when I'm lazy ;)

I have 18" wheels with 225x45 tyres, tramlines when braking hard.

I do not have a tram lining problem . The problems with my car are that the drivers information screen/window frequently but intermittently posts false messages e.g "check engine oil level low" or " check air pressure rear wheels" . When checked the oil levels/tyre pressures are fine . Windcreen wipers that are supposed to react automatically to rain , switch themselves on during a bright sunny dry day. The dealer where I bought thenew car 3 months ago seems unable to resolve the problems despite frequent visits . I would like to know if any other insignia owners have what I believe are computer hardware or software problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

What size alloys do you have? The bigger the wheel, the more likely to tramline when slowing.
    I do not have a tram lining problem .

That question was aimed at the OP, not you jo smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,676 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

jo smith wrote: »
    I do not have a tram lining problem . The problems with my car are that the drivers information screen/window frequently but intermittently posts false messages e.g "check engine oil level low" or " check air pressure rear wheels" . When checked the oil levels/tyre pressures are fine . Windcreen wipers that are supposed to react automatically to rain , switch themselves on during a bright sunny dry day. The dealer where I bought thenew car 3 months ago seems unable to resolve the problems despite frequent visits . I would like to know if any other insignia owners have what I believe are computer hardware or software problems.

We've had good few software issues with the Insignia's, but not on any of the newer ones, and not any recurring issues.

A software upgrade always fixed whichever of the wrong messages came up at the first attemept as far as I am aware.

Ours usually go to Bolands of Clondalkin for warranty work, but a few have gone in to Joe Duffy Opel in Finglas.

• Advertisement

Thanks r.o.r and confab . The dealer just spoke to me on the phone and assures me that everything is fixed . Time will tell .

2 days in garage and assurance from the main dealer that the problems are finally fixed . Start car next day and get another false message to check tyre pressures . Also meet neighbour who bought new insignia in february this year and had similar problems . His car was eventually replaced . Do my consumer rights entitle me to my money back ?. How does one go about enforcing rights short of going to court which could take years ?.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

That sounds bad. I bought an Insignia March 09, and not a bother with it. No false messages, that's for sure.

All you can do is bring it back again and make a complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I dont think you'll get your money back over a small, minor issue like that.

Try taking it to a different Opel dealer, and get a software upgrade installed. That should do the trick. If that doesnt work, make your complaint in writing to Opel Ireland.

For what its worth, I havent come across this problem too many times before in an Ecoflex - most of the teething problems were in the older model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 noeld1

I have never had any problems with my Opel Insignia eco flex. Best car that I have ever owned. Would definitely buy another one. Recommended.

Advertisement