Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car tax arrears not making sense - cheaper by the month ?

Options
  • 02-12-2012 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭

Ok this is a strange one and I can't understand it. Surely it's an error ?

My tax was due up at the end of September. It's a small 1ltr micra and 3 months tax is €52.00

I went to tax the car on the 1st December (was actually aiming to do it late November but forgot)

Anyway the reason for the post is this:

My figures were:

3 Months Tax: €52 01/12/2012 - 28/02/2013
    Arrears: €30 Arrears Period 01/10/2012 - 30/11/2012

Total €82

So €15 per month for the arrears and €17.33 per month for the normal 3 months tax.

I could have sworn that arrears were at a higher rate to punish the fact that they are arrears ?

In this case I'm better off waiting for 2 months arrears before paying the tax. Is this the same across other tax bands ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

It's crazy but yes that is the way it is. The arrears used to be 1/10th of the price of the yearly rate but are now 1/12th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Ok this is a strange one and I can't understand it. Surely it's an error ?

My tax was due up at the end of September. It's a small 1ltr micra and 3 months tax is €52.00

I went to tax the car on the 1st December (was actually aiming to do it late November but forgot)

Anyway the reason for the post is this:

My figures were:

3 Months Tax: €52 01/12/2012 - 28/02/2013
    Arrears: €30 Arrears Period 01/10/2012 - 30/11/2012

Total €82

So €15 per month for the arrears and €17.33 per month for the normal 3 months tax.

I could have sworn that arrears were at a higher rate to punish the fact that they are arrears ?

In this case I'm better off waiting for 2 months arrears before paying the tax. Is this the same across other tax bands ?

Well yes. But you'd better hope the Gards don't see you and decide to seize the car in the meantime! You do know they can take it if the tax is more than two months out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Well yes. But you'd better hope the Gards don't see you and decide to seize the car in the meantime! You do know they can take it if the tax is more than two months out?

Yes I do - but taxing it on the 1st day past that 2 month cut off - and having the print out would most likely get you past the seizure. Not guaranteed of course.

Advertisement