Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bad top speed

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

dgt wrote: »
    Fair enough, not a lot of 90s cars left on the roads. To me, 20+ years is getting long on the tooth. 15 years, still plenty serviceable, spare parts are still being manufactured etc.

It depends on the car. Japanese cars seem to last to that age better than European cars; there are still plenty of mid to late 90s Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans etc floating around in decent nick, but a lot of the same era Fiats, Renaults, Peugeots etc seem to be fit only for the scrap heap by the time they reach 15 years of age. VW seem to be the exception.

This is just purely an observation based on my experience of being around and viewing cars; Im not trying to start some kind of a Jap vs European car war, Im not looking to insult anyone and if Im wrong Im very sorry!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

djimi wrote: »
    It depends on the car. Japanese cars seem to last to that age better than European cars; there are still plenty of mid to late 90s Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans etc floating around in decent nick, but a lot of the same era Fiats, Renaults, Peugeots etc seem to be fit only for the scrap heap by the time they reach 15 years of age. VW seem to be the exception.

This is just purely an observation based on my experience of being around and viewing cars; Im not trying to start some kind of a Jap vs European car war, Im not looking to insult anyone and if Im wrong Im very sorry!!!

My alfa is 13 :D

Was reading a budget article today which stated that something like 90% of cars here are over 08 and on the lowest tax band.

WIll have a root to find it.

90% sounds high, but I can well believe that the majority of cars are 08 or younger. A lot of people were duped into spending thousands to change to a post-08 car in an effort to save a few hundred quid a year on tax...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I can ask where all the Toyota starlets, carina e's, avensii, mk2 Nissan primeras, eg civic etc all the common jap cars from the 90s went to, why most have disappeared etc. But I'm sure I'll be told to shut up by the fanbois who can't come up with a good reason :rolleyes:

Rusty mistreated Fiat? Not at this household :)

Let's not start this discussion, especially when I'm in this mood ;)

Stheno wrote: »
    My alfa is 13 :D

Was reading a budget article today which stated that something like 90% of cars here are over 08 and on the lowest tax band.

WIll have a root to find it.

Something tells me its 08 onwards CO2 cars, 90% are on the lowest tax band :)

I can ask where all the Toyota starlets, carina e's, avensii, mk2 Nissan primeras, eg civic etc all the common jap cars from the 90s went to, why most have disappeared etc. But I'm sure I'll be told to shut up by the fanbois who can't come up with a good reason :rolleyes:

Rusty mistreated Fiat? Not at this household :)

Let's not start this discussion, especially when I'm in this mood ;)

A lot of mid 90s cars died with the scrappage scheme; thats true of most makes and models. €1000 off a new car; yes please! Never mind that my car is still in perfect nick and most likely worth more than that :rolleyes:

Im not trying to start a fanboy war; it was simply an observation that from my experience Japanese cars seem to last the distance better than their European counterparts. Of course its not true for every make/model and for every car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

CiniO wrote: »
    If car is in good order, I can't see a difference between doing 100MPH in 15 year old corsa comaring to brand new BMW.

Have you even driven a modern car? You wouldn't even feel doing 100 mph in a new bmw or any decent sized saloon.

A 15 year old 1.2 hatch back would feel like its about to explode at that speed.

PaulKK wrote: »
    Have you even driven a modern car? You wouldn't even feel doing 100 mph in a new bmw or any decent sized saloon.

A 15 year old 1.2 hatch back would feel like its about to explode at that speed.

There was a world of difference between doing high speeds in my 98 Civic and 99 Accord, let alone anything newer...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

90% sounds high, but I can well believe that the majority of cars are 08 or younger. A lot of people were duped into spending thousands to change to a post-08 car in an effort to save a few hundred quid a year on tax...
    Something tells me its 08 onwards CO2 cars, 90% are on the lowest tax band :)

You might well be right dg, can't find the bloody article and I only read the flippin thing this morning :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

There was a world of difference between doing high speeds in my 98 Civic and 99 Accord, let alone anything newer...
    Yea I'd agree with that, my 98 passat was solid as a rock at those speeds too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Its called "pushing the envelope", the 98 corsa envelope is already well dog ear'd, a couple of small tears at the corners maybe, possibly dropped a couple of times before.

A 08 /09 version would give you a much bigger stronger "envelope" to play with and then a well designed, modern sports hot hatch gives you whole big box to play in.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

Quite a lot of newer cars fall into the lowest CO2 tax band dont they?

Article

90% of new cars registered in 2011 were in the lowest band :)

Article

90% of new cars registered in 2011 were in the lowest band :)

That was the article I read, brain was mush after getting up at 7 am :)

Thanks dg :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement