Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi - Too cheap?

• 02-08-2015 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭

Howaya folks,

I'm interested in a 05 Audi A6, 2.4 V6, multitronic.

It's priced at €3950 with "86,000" on the clock. NCT is out last month.

Before I take a look or run a report on it, is there any major known issues with this model?

I know the multitronic has its faults but is there anything else that I need to look out for. Tbh, it seems a bit cheap to be in good shape.

Any advice is appreciated.

http://m.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1281913

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

George Dalton might be along here, and he's the man you want, but I wouldn't automatically write it off as being too cheap. The fact that it's out of NCT and the high tax would automatically put a lot of people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

I think the opposite.

Not too many want a 10 year old 2.4 petrol auto

Even a 2.4 economical diesel would be a hard sell.

Its only 170bhp too with not much torque

The 2.0tdi can match that, while being way more economical.

It's a car for a yank in most people's eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Cheers AEBC,

I thought that might be a factor plus it's an awful dreary colour inside :).

Mileage looks a bit too good for a 10yr old motor but maybe I'm just too suspicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

thierry14 wrote: »

Its only 170bhp too with not much torque

That was when she came straight from the factory man.
    Few of those ponies have fecked off since then

It's something I was going to take a punt on and keep it for a year, well depending if it was going to cause me hassle.

Would the consensus be to just go for a 2.0tdi instead of the 2.4? I suppose it depends what I want from it.

Currently have a 1.9tdi A4 and was looking for something a bit nippier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

A lot of car for the money.

I like Audi's - and this does look like a nice model.

But not a lot of poke for the tax bracket, and as mentioned it's probably a bit down from that.

However, it'd be a lovely cruising car.

I'd ask them to get the NCT done first, or even get the NCT done yourself before buying (you can get it done 6 months up to renewal date).

The car is nearly 11 years old and you don't want to find there is a load of work as it could quickly become a very expensive purchase.

At that price you'll probably not get a warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's not that cheap to be fair.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That's not that cheap to be fair.

True, I should have stated in comparison to others online.

Some are 4,950 and 5999. It's the cheapest for that year in 2.4.

So, the price range is solid for that make and model then?

Any pitfalls you know of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the asking price is about right. It's a 10 year old petrol car that costs just over €1k a year to tax which means it has a very limited market in this country. Multi-tronic gear boxes of that era are well known to be troublesome, definitely get a mechanic to inspect it and the low mileage would want to be backed up with a verified service history.

If I were buying that car from a dealer I would expect a fresh NCT and 3 month engine and gearbox warranty.

Seems like the best thing to do.

Cheers bazz!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1279695&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D44%26o%5B%5D%3D368%26nx%3D17%26nn%3D17%26g%3D0

newer Lexus is250 here for a grand more, prob get it for cheaper with a cash deal, I can vouch that these are uber reliable and 3 month warranty on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,463 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hachiko wrote: »
    http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1279695&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D44%26o%5B%5D%3D368%26nx%3D17%26nn%3D17%26g%3D0

newer Lexus is250 here for a grand more, prob get it for cheaper with a cash deal, I can vouch that these are uber reliable and 3 month warranty on this.

Not a great colour and no leather.

If I had a choice over a car spending more time in a garage or actually driving it on the road over leather, I would take driving it. Petrol 250s are as reliable a car you can get.

The V6 in the Lexus is not overwhelming, its definitely not attractive on the Audi with just 180hp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Lucky its not an SE-L, I believe they are dangerous.

very dangerous.!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭beertons

It's a heavy car. Needs more bhp. My dad has a 2L diesel, he said if he was to get one again, he'd go 3L.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

OP is looking for an auto though? If you know auto drivers, you'd know they'll be loathe in the most part to go for a manual>

@ OP compared to what I bought recently enough I think the price is fair, they are a pig on juice though, have a colleague with one.

And a beast to park :)

oh well, I personally would not touch that Audi. good luck with the hunt.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

oh well, I personally would not touch that Audi. good luck with the hunt.

Why not? Ad states it comes with warranty, op can negotiate to get an NCT on it?

The Lexus you posted is as bad on juice, and is a manual which is a massive turn off for auto drivers.

Howaya folks,

I'm interested in a 05 Audi A6, 2.4 V6, multitronic.

It's priced at €3950 with "86,000" on the clock. NCT is out last month.......

Just regarding the price and ignoring the leather & autobox for comparison reasons.... this one, a 2006 2.0 is asking €2k more.

The difference in motor tax is €300 to €390 approx per year (depending how you pay).

All things considered I wouldn't view the 2005 one as being too cheap :) About right as others have mentioned, the garage would be happy to see that drive out the gate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Hope you don't mind me saying so OP but if I had as much doubt as you appear to have I'd walk away. As I say no offence intended.

€4k can still buy a variety of motors, especially if you only intend keeping it for a year anyway.

Stheno wrote: »
    Why not? Ad states it comes with warranty, op can negotiate to get an NCT on it?

The Lexus you posted is as bad on juice, and is a manual which is a massive turn off for auto drivers.

cant imagine a lump of an Audi with just 180hp is much fun to drive, I would also be less than satisfied it will be all that reliable.

You can get Auto Lexus, this stuff on them being bad on juice is a myth, probably written by German auto mags. Pop over to Lexus Owners UK, no one has complained about economy, I myself easily get up to and over 400 miles on a full tank or motorway trips, some have got even higher.

I don't think many V6 petrols get much better, then you have the reliability that goes with it.

I would get either a petrol Lexus or a 2.5 litre BMW instead, someone linked up one that had similar CC to a lexus but lower Co2, higher hp also so no struggling to pass out things on the road and no turbos to worry about.

cant imagine a lump of an Audi with just 180hp is much fun to drive, I would also be less than satisfied it will be all that reliable.

You can get Auto Lexus, this stuff on them being bad on juice is a myth, probably written by German auto mags. Pop over to Lexus Owners UK, no one has complained about economy, I myself easily get up to and over 400 miles on a full tank or motorway trips, some have got even higher.

I don't think many V6 petrols get much better, then you have the reliability that goes with it.

I would get either a petrol Lexus or a 2.5 litre BMW instead, someone linked up one that had similar CC to a lexus but lower Co2, higher hp also so no struggling to pass out things on the road and no turbos to worry about.

Eh I have known several Lexus owners, all petrol, all of whom gave out endlessly about the mpg tbh

The ones who had diesels were fine.

You seriously need to get over the Lexus love.

The IS is a good bit smaller than the A6 too. The IS is similar in size to the A4.

Eh I have known several Lexus owners, all petrol, all of whom gave out endlessly about the mpg tbh

The ones who had diesels were fine.

You seriously need to get over the Lexus love.

I would not take much heed on what you say considering you thought a BMW Z4 comes in a diesel I would be surprised if you could even tell a IS250 from a 220D. The 220D is not really economical for a diesel, its of the number of issues wrong with it. The IS250 is fine for motorway trips, around city driving you are going to get low or mid 20s mpg, like any other petrol v6.

I would not take much heed on what you say considering you thought a BMW Z4 comes in a diesel I would be surprised if you could even tell a IS250 from a 220D. The 220D is not really economical for a diesel, its of the number of issues wrong with it. The IS250 is fine for motorway trips, around city driving you are going to get low or mid 20s mpg, like any other petrol v6.

No I asked if there was a diesel Z4 and your need to bring that up shows how ignorant you are.

I can tell you I've known 5 IS 250 drivers all of whom complained about the mpg both on and off the motorway, all doing 100 mile commutes each day.

The diesel drivers disliked how sluggish the cars were

All in all given I knew about ten Lexus owners with a range of cars, they all put me off them

Diesel Lexus are horrible, its why they stopped making them, full stop. If my economy was so bad as you make out I seriously doubt I would have my car over a year later, and 90% of my driving is in the city.

Im not all about Lexus too -

or a 2.5 litre BMW instead, someone linked up one that had similar CC to a lexus but lower Co2, higher hp also so no struggling to pass out things on the road and no turbos to worry about.

That Audi A6 would be brutal to drive with just 180hp, A 6 pot 3 series like in the quote is going to be IS250 size to smaller than a A6 as pointed above, is the OP just going for large A6 due to the badge and its relatively cheap. Looks the case to me.

The reason they stopped making the IS diesel is because the model was replaced and Lexus wanted to concentrate on hybrid models rather than diesel. Also Lexus had no engine to borrow from Toyota as Toyota now use BMW diesel engines (bar the 1.4 D-4D unit) and BMW will not allow them fit their diesel engines into one of their direct rival's model range.

Anyway this thread is about a petrol Audi A6.

I can tell you I've known 5 IS 250 drivers all of whom complained about the mpg both on and off the motorway, all doing 100 mile commutes each day.

The diesel drivers disliked how sluggish the cars were

All in all given I knew about ten Lexus owners with a range of cars, they all put me off them

Most people would complain about mpg commuting 100 miles/day in a 2.5 petrol, to be fair.

Given you knew 5 is250 owners and presumably at least 2 is220 owners there's not many left from the about 10 Lexus owners you knew in total to get a balanced view regarding the rest of the range, to be realistic.

Regarding the z4, I'm surprised BMW didn't lash their 2.0 into it tbh.

• Advertisement

A little more expensive, younger, nippier and also an auto. Pity, no inside pics. And a careful lady owner for 8 years ;-)

.cbg.ie/audi-a6-2.7-2006-dublin-diesel-black-saloon

Personally, Lexus leaves me cold

*edit* cannot post links, put www in front of the above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Augeo wrote: »
    Most people would complain about mpg commuting 100 miles/day in a 2.5 petrol, to be fair.

Given you knew 5 is250 owners and presumably at least 2 is220 owners there's not many left from the about 10 Lexus owners you knew in total to get a balanced view regarding the rest of the range, to be realistic.

I've hit 40mpg a few times on long cruises, but the 250 is extremely thirsty around town. You can actually see the needle move. I only do less than 7k a year, otherwise the constant filling would be a balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Run away from the multi tronic as fast as your legs can carry you, had one and loved it but the box went and I had to sell the car for scrap, it is not if they will go but when, look on line there are loads of sites about them. Again run away.

Augeo wrote: »

I think he doesn't know what he is talking about, seems he knows the entire ownership of Lexus vehicles in Ireland, and 100 miles a day is a long commute for a petrol for sure, almost 40k miles a year. In fact going by my fuel costs in my IS250, I figured it would cost me the pricely sum of £7k to cover that many miles a year (currently spent about £700 a year as I don't do great miles).

A little more expensive, younger, nippier and also an auto. Pity, no inside pics. And a careful lady owner for 8 years ;-)

.cbg.ie/audi-a6-2.7-2006-dublin-diesel-black-saloon

Personally, Lexus leaves me cold

*edit* cannot post links, put www in front of the above

typical motors, OP links up a 2.5 petrol and posters going on about getting diesels.

And you said Lexus leave you cold, what leaves you warm? glow plugs?

typical motors, OP links up a 2.5 petrol and posters going on about getting diesels.

Subsequent to his OP he mentions he wanted something nippy, at 8.0 0-60 it's faster than the OP's original model.

That it's Diesel doesn't seem to be a deal breaker from what he has said (in fact he asked about a particular Diesel model). Your particular preferences are irrelevant.

Personally, I don't favour any particular marque, I'll judge cars on their individual merit. I can't think of any Lexus that excites. But, I feel like I should apologise, so...

Sorry you have a lexus :p

• Advertisement

And OP didn't ask about getting a Lexus either.

bazz26 wrote: »
    And OP didn't ask about getting a Lexus either.

It's more reliable than that A6, with slightly more grunt.
    Trying to convince any one here to get a Japanese car over a German one is harder than telling the migrants in Calais to shoo.

The reason they stopped making the IS diesel is because the model was replaced and Lexus wanted to concentrate on hybrid models rather than diesel. Also Lexus had no engine to borrow from Toyota as Toyota now use BMW diesel engines (bar the 1.4 D-4D unit) and BMW will not allow them fit their diesel engines into one of their direct rival's model range.

Anyway this thread is about a petrol Audi A6.

I'm sure Lexus have the wherewithal to incorporate the 200d into a hybrid if they wished. They had far too much headaches with any diesels they had.

Ah lads,

This is why I don't usually bother posting here.

A simple question of asking what are the things to look out for if I'm interested in a certain car has gone to sh1t.

Thanks to all that gave me price and pitfall advice, I appreciate it. People that mentioned other alternatives, that's not what I was looking for but thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. Nothing wrong with giving options.

I really didn't want this descending into Lexus vs everything else.

Ah well, thanks anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

So your going for a Lexus then???

Il get me coat

• Advertisement

I'm sure Lexus have the wherewithal to incorporate the 200d into a hybrid if they wished. They had far too much headaches with any diesels they had.

If Lexus really took the European market seriously they would have produced their own diesel engine or bought a good one from another manufacturer, instead of using an old unrefined hand me down one from parent company Toyota. The reason they had headaches with their diesel engine was because the one they fitted in the IS was simply rubbish. It was fitted as an afterthought because they needed to try and compete with German premium brands selling large numbers of diesel cars in Europe.

Anyway the OP is happy with the answers around the A6, I have no more to add so I'm not getting involved in another thread turned into a Lexus v the rest of the world debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

If Lexus really took the European market seriously they would have produced their own diesel engine or bought a good one from another manufacturer, instead of using an old unrefined hand me down one from parent company Toyota. The reason they had headaches with their diesel engine was because the one they fitted in the IS was simply rubbish. It was fitted as an afterthought because they needed to try and compete with German premium brands selling large numbers of diesel cars in Europe.

Anyway the OP is happy with the answers around the A6, I have no more to add so I'm not getting involved in another thread turned into a Lexus v the rest of the world debate.

Spoilsport!

Brian Scan wrote: »
    [/B]

Spoilsport!

Don't think he will be buying that A6 anyway so the thread served its purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Don't think he will be buying that A6 anyway so the thread served its purpose.

It did for you too didn't it? Since your last thread was closed you're taking any opportunity to get something going again.

Why would you suggest that?

I see the OP looked at a Audi A6 which was

a) underpowered and would drive like a dog.
    b) unreliable and very likely to have problems.

I suggested another car, albeit a year newer and was a Lexus, which I happened to own and can vouch for its reliability.

It was smaller and a manual so probably not what the OP wanted, I also suggested a 6 pot BMW would be a better purchase, one with no turbo, lower Co2 than the Lexus and more grunt than either of the cars.

So I suggest you and quite a few more posters get off the very very high horse.

Else you might topple over, removing rose tinted glasses could help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Rose tinted glasses regarding what? You being a troll? You are simple as.

Trying to convince any one here to get a Japanese car over a German one is harder than telling the migrants in Calais to shoo.
    Plenty of jap car owners on here tbh
    Ah lads,

This is why I don't usually bother posting here.

A simple question of asking what are the things to look out for if I'm interested in a certain car has gone to sh1t.

Thanks to all that gave me price and pitfall advice, I appreciate it. People that mentioned other alternatives, that's not what I was looking for but thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. Nothing wrong with giving options.

I really didn't want this descending into Lexus vs everything else.

Ah well, thanks anyway :)
    Are you going to go for it?

they are a beast to park :D

Rose tinted glasses regarding what? You being a troll? You are simple as.

LOL

The trolls are the over zealous ones who contrived to get my other thread locked...

and succeeded.

Plenty of jap car owners on here tbh

Are you going to go for it?

they are a beast to park :D

It should at least have a reverse camera being an A6.

It should at least have a reverse camera being an A6.

Reverse camera?

I have a neck like!

• Advertisement
Advertisement